test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A first try out in PvP

kazimscumlingkazimscumling Member Posts: 4 Arc User
Hey,

I was playing NWO in PS4 for a couple of months and thought maybe I should give Dominion PvP a try. I'm not as young anymore and I surely don't have the reaction time I had 20-25 years ago, but I did play pretty competitive PvP in the past and I always have it on my heart a bit.

I have a TR with not so impressive equipment (20K iLvL) and surely I don't understand the game meta good enough. I can solo Master Expeditions (with 1 boon) pretty easy and I end up the top DPS in most random queue dungeons. I have about 70% campaign compilation.

On the other hand, I know by previous experience on other games, PvE does not indicate PvP. So my expectation was to get stomped pretty hard but at least have an understanding of what direction should I take if I want to enjoy PvP in let's say a year. Here is my experience after trying 5 dominion matches in Play Station.

First of all, it's surprisingly fun, fast-paced and enjoyable in general with some caveats. Truth to be told, probably I find it fun as I don't understand the game mechanics, exploits and " flavor of the month" builds. But yet again mechanics are much more promising than 80/90% of MMOs I tried.

As expected I sucked. Probably I was a bane for the random teams I've been in. On the other hand, unexpectedly I got some kills, captured some points and even defended some. My average was 2-3 kills and 6-8 deaths. Much higher than I expected.

However, I realized (maybe with limited sample size) it's not an inviting place for someone who wants to try it. I wouldn't get surprised if 80-90% of players don't give it a second chance after the first try out. In 5 matches, I kicked (voted) out 2 times. In the last game, I got harassed by a teammate, (interestingly #1 player in the leader board on that day). I got a series of private messages asking "Why do you play PvP. You are rubbish?" :) That was very very surprising on a random solo queue as I thought that's the place where none competitive players try things out, not exclusive to people on top of the leaderboard. I also witnessed 2 more kick voting, which (obviously) I said no :) Which proves that this is not specific to one person and pretty common.

Another surprising thing was on the opposite team there was another player, which had almost the same name as the player that I mentioned, and my teammate became AFK right after our team started to lose. I can understand players don't like to lose K/D ratio just because they ended up in a bad team (thanks to me) but the same name and same guild on the opposing team were slightly suspicious.

After that experience, it's obvious that, even though it's fun, I should not waste my time with Dominion PvP, probably until (if ever) I get 24-25K iLvL and good stats. PvE is fun enough and I will give open world PvP and Stronghold PvP a try to see how it works. I can give Dominion another try if there would be a separate queue for lower Item level or at least vote kicking is less common somehow.

What are your experiences when you first try dominion PvP?

Tagged:

Comments

This discussion has been closed.