test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

pets or companions?

Seen different references to companions as "pets"? even in game, the buff description of a companion describes buff as "depends on quality of your summoned pet"
so do they mean pet or companion?
do pets have any purpose?
Tagged:

Comments

• tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    Some loose terminology in NW, you'll see a lot of things that were implemented one way by one team and a different way 2 years later by another.

In most fantasy games a combat companion is called a 'pet' because they were generally creatures. Having humanoids/sapients be your combat companion is a more recent addition.

Depending what team was adding which companions, some of them are clearly 'pets' (dogs cats pigs etc) and some are companions (wizards tanks warriors). So it does actually make some sense to use both words, and in most cases they are synonyms.
  • spiorad#4889 spiorad Member Posts: 11 Arc User

Some loose terminology in NW, you'll see a lot of things that were implemented one way by one team and a different way 2 years later by another.

In most fantasy games a combat companion is called a 'pet' because they were generally creatures. Having humanoids/sapients be your combat companion is a more recent addition.

Depending what team was adding which companions, some of them are clearly 'pets' (dogs cats pigs etc) and some are companions (wizards tanks warriors). So it does actually make some sense to use both words, and in most cases they are synonyms.

thanks, makes sense, so i assume from answers that vanity pets have no actual function
  • tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    Yep. In pretty much all MMOs, a 'vanity pet' (or any vanity item) is just a cosmetic/amusement effect with no actual game function. They follow you around, hop up and down whatever but don't actually do anything or attract aggro.
  • bpstuartbpstuart Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    for Neverwinter online "Companion" refers to anything that will heal you or engage in combat on your behalf, even if it is a monster or beast. Both the Apprentice healer, and the Dog you can get from Knox's quest are Companions.

a "Pet" does not do those things even if they are objects, Like the little red D20 you can win from "Day of the dungeon master" that gives you nothing but a silly dice that follows you.
    Ego etiam cupo recrari et amari diu post mortem meam
    I too wish to be recreated, and to be loved long after my death.
  • jantogsf#0997 jantogsf Member Posts: 121 Arc User

Seen different references to companions as "pets"? even in game, the buff description of a companion describes buff as "depends on quality of your summoned pet"
    so do they mean pet or companion?
    do pets have any purpose?

Filed under "first world problems"
  • acrylia66acrylia66 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I have a question, can you only have 1 pet/companion out or can you have more than 1?
  • jimmypdtjimmypdt Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    Only 1 pet/companion summoned at a time. @acrylia66

I wish you the best,
    OPTank_