test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game Lacks Diverse Builds

hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
This feedback is will hopefully be seen by the developers as well as the players. Most MMOs have lacked in diverse builds, but from what I have experienced with NWO this game suffers more than most. The players will tell anyone asking for builds to check out mmominds the unofficial blog for Neverwinter builds. Looking their material over I see the trend there is to make a new class build per module release and nothing more. In January players will be posting Cleric, Wizard, Fighter builds for mod 18 and there will be just the one.

Let's look at this from the perspective of a new player who wants a build for a lower level character about mid 30's doing Neverdeath Graveyard. The build doesn't exist and only because you don't have all your skill sets yet. Even a level 80 character, is required to have best in slot enchantments, all or most of the boon points to spend, enough AD or Zen to afford pets, mounts, and artifacts to create the one and only build. A truly diverse game build would not stop at class plus end game content.

If NWO was better designed, you would have creatures that are damage by cold or heat. Other enemies and bosses would have skill sets that would require to alter your skill set for the area. This makes the build important to the player and would make more sense to have many loadouts available to jump into any given instance or dungeon.

I haven't played NWO all that much, but I do have 4 level 80's they don't have boons, I just toss junk gear on them and play. Now this is the real odd thing about this game. No matter where I go or what I am doing, I am not finding anything mentally challenging. Maybe I am not suppose to think? Hold down left mouse button, sometimes the right and proceed. If you die, just jump back in and keep on progressing.

I don't see NWO as thought provoking or even encouraging anyone to progress Why would I bother to get my item level up? There is nothing rewarding about gaining AD to spend it on a character that always wins. There is no punishment for death in the game. Rest at campfire for 30 seconds, eat a buff, or jump back in wounded? These are not really stopping me, and I know MMO games are not built to win or lose. This one really needs to look harder at the build system and how certain NPC creatures react to powers. This would be a great start, but I understand that adding death penalty and making players think about strategic encounters is probably unpopular.

Comments

• thekfdcase#5416 thekfdcase Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    NW used to have far more of all the positive things you mentioned. Then Mod 16 arrived, and it destroyed all buff/debuff, destroyed varied builds, slowed down combat (and turned it into hold-down-at-will button), over-simplified feat & boon trees, introduced the single worst implementation of level-scaling I've ever heard of in a game, completely broke entire classes (sympathies, warlocks) while knee-capping others (goodbye, great weapons fighter), and on and on it goes.

This has all been publicly stated by Cryptic's boss and others to be their desired vision for the game, and/or "working as intended" (WAI). In all earnestness, if you are hoping for these changes to be reverted/fixed, I recommend finding other games/activities to play/do. NW is on a continuous downward spiral. It may not be dead-dead yet, but it is dying.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    I used to have a really good CC-build CW. Then Mod 16 came along. She's now permanently benched.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User

NW used to have far more of all the positive things you mentioned. Then Mod 16 arrived, and it destroyed all buff/debuff, destroyed varied builds, slowed down combat (and turned it into hold-down-at-will button), over-simplified feat & boon trees, introduced the single worst implementation of level-scaling I've ever heard of in a game, completely broke entire classes (sympathies, warlocks) while knee-capping others (goodbye, great weapons fighter), and on and on it goes.

This has all been publicly stated by Cryptic's boss and others to be their desired vision for the game, and/or "working as intended" (WAI). In all earnestness, if you are hoping for these changes to be reverted/fixed, I recommend finding other games/activities to play/do. NW is on a continuous downward spiral. It may not be dead-dead yet, but it is dying.

I understand. I am not looking for games to play, I mainly stop in here, from time to time, to check on the performance and compatibility of our current WINE release for our clients. Seems to be fully functional with this game currently. At present, I am trying to get Warframe and some other free to play MMOs working. As many different games I see during this process, this one suffers from uniformity. I will be around testing later on when mod 18 hits preview and then again on live.