test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Back on my Wizard - I need some updated infos

gildriadorgildriador Member Posts: 231 Arc User
Hi everyone,
Since 6 September, I have spent most of my in game time to leveling up all my professions and artisans on my 31 workshops.
Now that I have finished and I'm in "Regular professions mode" I have time to play the real game again.

I want to have some update on the wizard change or "bugs":
Critical Conflagration only applies smolder on one target for AoE.
Fire Ball cannot apply smolder when target have one or more stack of chill.
etc.

My question: is the Arcanist path better for AoE and Single Target?
Or do you use the same Thaumaturge build as before?
“He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

Comments

• Options
    theraxin#5169 theraxin Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    I use Arcanist for both and highly advising for you as well.

They changed the damage formula to damage = [base damage]*[power]*[critsev]*[CA]*[buffs] Everything in the brackets are additive with itself and Vorpal was nerfed to +20% critsev.

Theoretically everyone busy retesting with enchants and builds, but most of my guild, including me just burned out, because we already had 2 sharp turn in class build within a mod and people getting confused by different guides telling different things (and most of them being already outdated).

I built an Arcanist with bosses in mind and rolling with it on mobs.
  • Options

I built an Arcanist with bosses in mind and rolling with it on mobs.

Thank you for your advice.

I have 2 Arcanist load-out, I will start with this and maybe change 1 or 2 thaumaturge load-out that I never use to test
    an AoE build with snap freeze and a single target build with Nightware Wizardry.

My actual 2 Arcanist load-out is this:

Arcanist AoE :

Spell Twisting
    Assailing Force
    Choas Magic
    Nightmare Wizardry
    Elemental Reinforcement

Steal Time (Mastery)
    Icy Terrain
    Sudden Storm (Lightning bolt)
    Disintegrate
    Magic Missile
    Storm Pillar
    Oppressive Force
    Ice Knife
    Arcane Presence
    Storm Spell

Arcanist Single Target :

Spell Twisting
    Assailing Force
    Choas Magic
    Striking Advantage
    A step above Mastery

RoE (Mastery)
    Entangling Force
    Repel
    Disintegrate
    Magic Missile
    Arcane Empowerment
    Arcane power field
    Storm Spell

Another question for Arcanist built to work well, do I need to focus more on AP gain:

Do you use AP gain Mount power, Ap gain off-hand bonus, DC sigil after Arcane Empowerment etc...

“He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
  • Options
    theraxin#5169 theraxin Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    So, I use 1 loadout with:

Spell Twisting
    Assailing Force
    Chaos Magic
    Striking Advantage
    A step above Mastery

Nightmare wizardry can be good on mobs, but the problem is the chance is pretty low and they don't live that long. So you probably buffed a random teammate, which is noble, but they might had CA anyway or did not gave that much damage or at all as overkill. And it's a tangled mess to gather it's efficiency from data.

Now, Elemental reinforcement is better on mobs than A step above, so probably a good reason for splitting, but because the campfire after Boreworm is late and needs extra effort, the dungeons just go way smoother if you only change loadout before Trobriand and on the other 2 boss, just press W while manually changing the encounters is better than to be left behind when you need to change back to mobkilling mode.

On AP, tl;dr version: Every AP gain stuff has a better alternative. Except the primal shoes on mobs and DC sigil, but the way lomm bosses made makes sigil clunky.

So, there's 2 kind of AP gain: The ones that give a percentage more of what you can get and the ones that just flatout give you.

The first category is just bad. I remember an estaminate of a daily in 60 sec, +10% gets you there in 54,6 sec, which is... underwhelming. Moreso that +10% is actually pretty hard to get, your boon+off-hand is +6,5% only and you already gave up 14% crit sev for that. If there were AP gain jewels I'd advise getting them, but they removed it and every other way to get AP gain boost is just bad.

For things that give you AP, so 1 point of AP is 0,1% AP. So the pants giving 25 points exceptionally bad, but moreso because it's needs to crit AND then 10% chance to proc. But it gives the most Power, so just get the highest IL one in the stats you need. The flail snail got neutered, it only gives 10% over 10 sec if you used a daily, but more importantly, people overrate the amount of power you have stacked, so you need 10k power mount to pretend to be as good as you are. Sad, but happens every year. And the +10k power is kind of better anyway until dailies get out of hand again.

The Primal shoe is kind of good on mobs, but hard to test it's actual power.

The DC sigil is the hardest to say against, but sadly, there no trial/dungeon yet to support what it does. First, on the trial, the important DPS phases are less than 20 sec long and you specifically wait for them with full AP. And... everyone just goes for a debuff artifact. For lomm, bosses go immune or just punish the team if you get them under 80%, so a high power team either undercuts you mid-daily or you just tactically don't daily until the first wave is over, which means that you would be better just with a debuff artifact (Halaster for the +2k power or knives because you can miss and artificer and even griffon if you can have it). And lomm is pretty easy comparatibly to tomm.
  • Options
    Thank you for your detailed info about AP Gain.

I will keep my power mount bonus, and critical severity for off-hand.

For group content , I think I will do the same as you:

Arcanist Single Target load-out With "A step above mastery",

I agree that swapping load-out is often a pain, especially when Artifact is on cool-down, and everyone is waiting after you.
    Often you don't have a campfire after Boss or when you have one, other players out-run you...

Anyway, it's what I do on my Thaumaturge Build, I always keep the same load-out with Glowing Flame and swap powers for first and second Boss of any Dungeon,
    it's only for the Final Boss that I swap with my Thaumaturge Build with Icy Veins, and often I don't take the time to change it.

So, for Arcanist I will probably do the same and only use a Single Target Build and swap powers.

My Arcanist AoE load-out, will probably be more used for solo ME.
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    If I can be bothered to swap, I use thaum on AoE with Combustive Action and Critical Conflagration. Combustive Action is actually bugged at the moment and restores 20(!)% of your AP on kill instead of the intended value, making it a huge asset to have. It allows you to essentially spam dailies on trash fights. More realistically though, most of the time I don't bother to change loadouts. Everything outside of ToMM is a complete joke to me and I just use single target powers and kill trash mobs 1 by 1. Lazyness triumphs over all. My guide is up to date for the current patch btw, I just don't take the time to write up what I change when I change it in a changelog.

https://guides.jannenw.info/2019/07/13/wizard-mechanics-guide-module-17/
  • Options

If I can be bothered to swap, I use thaum on AoE with Combustive Action and Critical Conflagration. Combustive Action is actually bugged at the moment and restores 20(!)% of your AP on kill instead of the intended value, making it a huge asset to have. It allows you to essentially spam dailies on trash fights. More realistically though, most of the time I don't bother to change loadouts. Everything outside of ToMM is a complete joke to me and I just use single target powers and kill trash mobs 1 by 1. Lazyness triumphs over all. My guide is up to date for the current patch btw, I just don't take the time to write up what I change when I change it in a changelog.

https://guides.jannenw.info/2019/07/13/wizard-mechanics-guide-module-17/

Thank you for your info,
    I thought the last update of your guide was July 2019, I will read it again to have all updated infos. Your guide is always a good reference.
  • Options
    anjo#8313 anjo Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    I heard that even if you just bang your head against the keyboard, you will do most damage than all classes, so, no worries
  • Options
    some1stolemynicknamesome1stolemynickname Member Posts: 90 Arc User

You heard very wrong. CW are in 4 place now in general content.
    And Mod 18 comes. Plenty of new CWs made because of the legend you heard will bang their heads, yes. but against the walls.
    Are you one of those classes that gets out fresh from Undermountain with 130% instead of 75% crit severity? Must be hard on you after they have changed the damage formula where 15% more crit sev is 4% more damage.
    No worries, nobody of importance reads this post.

What is the point of your troll post? To show how little you know? While crit sev was nerfed, more is still better. ANY class can hit the CA cap all the same, so once there that extra damage really helps. Wizard is still one of the top DPS classes. I bet you ran 1 RDQ and saw a lvl15 wiz in 4th place to draw that conclusion.

Every class is good if that's what you enjoy playing. Since they all need to be played differently, one person might be better as a rogue than on a wizard.