test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Error 36: A file was locked that cannot be opened for writing" (constantly retries)

prethenprethen Member Posts: 137 Arc User
Somehow my install is corrupt...again. This time I try Force Verify and it starts the patch process but doesn't finish and I get the error noted in the title. I tried Safe Mode, I tried restarting my PC, I tried manually killing process and restarting the app...no luck.

Any ideas?

Comments

• micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    Check that the program has permissions, easy try is to run it as admin (right click, run as admin)
    Check that you have room on the drive.
    Also that the files are not read only.

It will be easier to know what is going on, if you know what file gives the error. When the patcher starts, press ctrl+n, it will show a console that shows what really the patcher doing, look there.
    if you see a more verbose error or a file name, can check further what process locks the file or what the issue.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    I found that restarting the computer fixed the issue when I had it several weeks ago I think. When I had the issue with sto. Try a computer restart.
  • prethenprethen Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    I've restarted twice and same problem. I've also commented on the thread that greywynd pointed out.

I should have also pointed out that I've been playing the game for quite awhile now without this issue, so there should be nothing going on with permissioning and the like. But, I'll try to follow-up with reviewing any sort of verbose log.
  • prethenprethen Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    After yet another restart, the problem went away....what the heck?!