test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Active Companions Still Worth Having That Are Not Augments

frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
edited September 2019 in PvE Discussion
Ignoring BIS, augments, companion bonuses, companion nerfs, and end game for a moment,

I'm hoping to get some recommendations for worthwhile summoned companions. Mainly for campaigning, but maybe also for some of the lower queues. Companions that are either fun or useful in the field, or even just for sentimental value. I'm making a list of everyone's recommendations. Does anyone have any others that come to mind?

Black Scorpion – Useful (gives forced combat advantage)
Blink Dog - Useful (At epic he ports around attacking from the rear and does respectable damage)
Cold Iron Warrior – Useful (like having a gwf with you with a good attack rate)
Crab – Fun to watch its flurry of blows and how it moves
Dread Warrior – Useful (tanks and heals a little)
Dragonborn Brawler - Fun (tries to hook me up with his sister and calls enemies dirty egg stealers)
Leprechaun - Useful (stun chokes a target); Fun to watch his pugilism; but his voice gets annoying after a while
Mercenary – Useful (behaves like a rogue and can give you combat advantage at the start of combat)
Paranoid Delusion - Useful up until Undermountain (aoe root+knockdown); Fun (fancy appearance to have 2 of your char around)
Pewter Golem - Useful (frequently knocks a foe down)
Priestess of Sehanine Moonbow - Useful (debuffs enemies' critical chance, buffs allies critical chance; confuses enemies) Fun (frequent yawning and turns enemies against each other)
Razorwood – Useful (can inflict good damage); Fun (companionable silence)
Sellsword - Useful (increases critical chance), but mainly sentimental
Stalwart Golden Lion - Useful (700k hp at legendary....takes a lickin and keeps on tickin)
Wild Hunt Rider - Useful for lower level players (draws aggro); Fun to watch him initiate combat with that flying spear attack
Xuna - Useful (Still top for aoe, being it endgame or soloing)
Yeti – Fun (for sentimental reasons)
Zhentarim Warlock – Useful (pulls aggro at times and seems to hit pretty hard fun); Fun
Post edited by frogwalloper#6494 on

Comments

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Zhentarim Warlock is fun. Good for pulling aggro at times and seems to hit pretty hard.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • mdarkangel#4696 mdarkangel Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    Razorwood, there are times when it does more damage than my at-wills AND he doesn't say anything. 😂
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    dread warrior, tanks, and heals a little.
    black scorpion gives forced combat advantage.

i'm personally fond of the yeti but he isn't better than the other two imo.
  • dragovf82dragovf82 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    i've found useful:
    the cold iron warrior, is like to have a gwf with you with a good attack rate
    the mercenary , acting like a rougue and at the start of the combat he begin with a teleport behind the enemy that give you combat advantage.
    the crab , i love his movement and his flurry of blow!
  • frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    These are great - thanks everyone! I didn't know about most of these. I'm going to check them out on the AH.
    - added them all to the list in case anyone else is shopping around.
    I'm going to add the Wild Hunt Rider - not so much useful as it is fun to watch that flying spear leap.
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    I only find summoned companions useful to compliment weaker alts during solo play.
    A tank pet for a ranged dps, a dps pet for a tank, a healer pet for a melee dps, etc.

Frankly I find tank pets the least valuable of these.
    They rarely engage and grab aggro until you've already taken a few hits.
    But all the others you mention are pretty good.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,133 Arc User
    Look it's not always about numbers esp when you are starting out. Some companions are really good at taking the attention of mobs or keeping them otherwise occupied while you attack. Some help you with flanking and all that. I have 20 tunes and only one augment and that's just recently and I am not liking it.

I am one of the few people who like the companions better now than pre-mod 16. There are some out there that are bugged, those you have to watch out for. My Compy is still not working right and many of the healers are a joke. So, I just don't use them.

Finding a companion that compliments your style of play is what you should be going for and one that you think is fun to play with.

Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • isaacorion#1994 isaacorion Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    Ah, Sehanine Moonbow priestess.
    Fun memories of getting one of my guild leader warlocks to Tyrannical Curse a target she 'confused', and then OUR whole party starts eating the shared dmg from the warlock attacks. If we knew what the hells we were doing I'm pretty sure that warlock woulda killed us all.

For memories, I wanted to recommend Paranoid Delusion for the aoe root+knockdown, but that thing was pretty useless when my Wizard was going through Undermountain. Now it's basically just a fancy appearance to have 2 of your char around.
    Warlock: Don't want to let you down but I am hell bound. - Imagine Dragons
    Cleric: You can be an angel of mercy or give in to hate. - Shinedown
    Wizard: The more the dark consumes me, I pretend I'm burning bright. - Shinedown
    Barbarian: Am I beautiful... as I tear you to pieces? - In This Moment

Ah, Sehanine Moonbow priestess.
    Fun memories of getting one of my guild leader warlocks to Tyrannical Curse a target she 'confused', and then OUR whole party starts eating the shared dmg from the warlock attacks. If we knew what the hells we were doing I'm pretty sure that warlock woulda killed us all.

For memories, I wanted to recommend Paranoid Delusion for the aoe root+knockdown, but that thing was pretty useless when my Wizard was going through Undermountain. Now it's basically just a fancy appearance to have 2 of your char around.

I use a Paranoid Delusion with my main. She's quite amazing (the Paranoid Delusion). Some of her powers makes things so much easier for me and groups I run with.
    edited September 2019
    @isaacorion#1994 - that's a funny story about the priestess.
    Always made me chuckle whenever confused remorhaz in Bryn Shander started firing away at passing players, but triggering Tyrannical Curse like that - that's pretty special.

@isaacorion#1994 - that's a funny story about the priestess.
    Always made me chuckle whenever confused remorhaz in Bryn Shander started firing away at passing players, but triggering Tyrannical Curse like that - that's pretty special.

One of my barbies has a Zhentarim Warlock companion and whenever I use Battlerage the darn woman stuns me. Every freaking time. (see vid below)

• ccs2009#5244 ccs2009 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    The stalwart golden lion I thought is pretty good...at legendary has 700k hp....takes a lickin and keeps on tickin
  • amascus#1899 amascus Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    I really enjoy my blink dog, they seem to be overlooked by most. At epic he ports around attacking from the rear and does respectable damage. I have a dragonborn brawler on another char that always makes me smile, he tries to hook me up with his sister and calls enemies dirty egg stealers.
  • lardesonlardeson Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    Xuna is still top for aoe, being it endgame or soloing. Other companions are dread warrior or razorwood.
    Lardeson CW not Mage. Where's my fireball and my thunderbolt?