test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Companion Gear suggestions, anyone?

ogeafaogeafa Member Posts: 14 Arc User
I have to admit that I was / am rather disappointed with all the copy / paste that equates to our new gear. New names, numbers but that is about it. Nothing really special. Nothing really new. I do have some ideas however and would like for other players to post theirs as well.

Relics for companions.
Think of our current artifact gear and how the players use refining points and various enchanting stuffs to improve them.
Also consider these are relics that would the need to be restored BEFORE the player knows what it is. *
Considering these will grow into the height of companion gear through the restoration process.

Discovery of a relic item should be somewhat rare. Make it a selected pickup item not an auto pick. Make sure they can be sold on the AH as well as bank stored, mailed, and so on. Allow for the basic unrestored relics to be turned to RP if desired. A player may choose to restore the item through an NPC that will request a list of blah, blah, and bleh in order to see what we've got here. * Once the item has been restored, the NPC will reward the player, through RNG goodness, their relic for what it's worth. The rng factor can also dictate the return of quality as well as the relics main attribues, number of slots, and effect offerings.**

**The bonus effects that top tier companion gear all seem to have already HOWEVER, modified as a "purchasable", randomized, sloted set of selections just like our artifact weapons have now. Nothing extreme mind you and NOTHING that stacks with the other companion gear.
These slots could be further expanded upon with the use of another item like the Augmentation Cubes to minor effects. Please remember, SLIGHT increases not huge leaps.

The standard RP+stones+wards routine needs to be slightly augmented to include more of the materials that were required to "restore" the relic in the first place. As the relic grows in refinement, what is required should increasingly become more difficult. Think of our runes we use in the ME, WE, FE's now. If you have to return 200 Chaos Runes, of X of the essences required to spawn the watcher... Yeah, let's not make this easy for once. A little work never hurt anyone.

What are your thoughts and feelings?

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    Less RNG and not more. Less grinding and not more. So, no.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • ogeafaogeafa Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Why should everything be handed out on a silver plater? If something is worth having, should it not be worth some effort?
    Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, and he'll soon ask to barrow your fishing gear.
    edited August 2019
    ogeafa said:

Why should everything be handed out on a silver plater? If something is worth having, should it not be worth some effort?
    Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, and he'll soon ask to barrow your fishing gear.

It is not handed out on a silver plate. There is already a lot of RNG in the game. It just does not need more. Is the good stuff really handed out easily at the moment? If so, why people are doing hundreds of ME? Is repeating something again and again fun and we really need to do even more?

What you said was available before. It needs RNG and then another level of RNG and the another level of RNG. It was not popular at all.

With less or without RNG does not mean it will be easy. I guess you did not go through the time that needed to do 100 Major HE to get a weapon. The Major HE re-spawned 15 minutes in an instance after the last one was done, had limited time to finish and it needed about 20 players to clean it in time. It had a lot of effort but at least no RNG.
    Post edited by plasticbat on
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • akichidakichid Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    Currently companion gear is limited to three items. I'm of the opinion that companions should be outfitted with a full set of gear just as player characters are and as a matter of fact there shouldn't be a distinction between player gear and companion gear...

Companions should have slots for Head, Body, Arms, Feet, Neck, 2-Rings, Belt, Main Hand and Off Hand just like players.

To do otherwise is tantamount to hiring a body guard, handing them a kitchen knife and saying "You can only use this"... It just makes no sense to me.

For instance, if the player is a Ranger and the companion also uses a bow as the main hand weapon the player should be able slot their old bow (or a purchased bow) - not an artifact - to the companion's main hand weapon slot. Likewise any gear the player "out grows" can be passed down to their companions so long as it isn't in violation of the companion's Class.
    edited August 2019
    akichid said:

Currently companion gear is limited to three items. I'm of the opinion that companions should be outfitted with a full set of gear just as player characters are and as a matter of fact there shouldn't be a distinction between player gear and companion gear...

Companions should have slots for Head, Body, Arms, Feet, Neck, 2-Rings, Belt, Main Hand and Off Hand just like players.

To do otherwise is tantamount to hiring a body guard, handing them a kitchen knife and saying "You can only use this"... It just makes no sense to me.

For instance, if the player is a Ranger and the companion also uses a bow as the main hand weapon the player should be able slot their old bow (or a purchased bow) - not an artifact - to the companion's main hand weapon slot. Likewise any gear the player "out grows" can be passed down to their companions so long as it isn't in violation of the companion's Class.

How does a dog use main hand and off hand? How does a laughing skull use any amour or weapon? Can Dancing sword use another sword? Companion already has their own weapon and armour which are shown by their graphic. Con Artist has a big sword. Sellsword has a shield. Wizard has his orb. Dancing sword is ... well itself. They have their own stat too. They have pride and don't want your hand in. If I hire a body guard, he better has his own legally registered gun. ;)

That is why we can only add accessories to them although some accessories still do not make sense to certain companion. Let me pretend the laughing skull just sucks all the rings, belt, runestones, ... into its big mouth. :)