test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[UPDATE] Q&A Stream Follow up & Next Steps

Comments

• gripnir78gripnir78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 374 Arc User
    @mimicking#6533

Tom, just one question:

WHY ON EARTH DID YOU START SCALLING SYSTEM FROM PLAYERS SIDE INSTEAD OF CONTENT?

Wouldnt be easier/better to give players a few levels of difficulty followed with different levels of rewards?
    With newest content avilable always as hardest possible level?

That would left our progress intact, that would actually encouraged players to progress their toons.
    And if your new mechanic really WAI it would be so easy to just adjust dungeons ratings....

But no, you had to hamster that up.....

• dantragbdantragb Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    If Scaling is done well then that’s great however in this case it hasn’t been done well and this is plainly obvious but let’s put that to one side for a minute and address the problem of rewards or the lack of them in game currently on PS4 and Xbox dungeon rewards have been poor for a while now and are getting worse every day now it’s not worth buying LDK’s as you rarely cover the cost.
  • tanikinho#8846 tanikinho Member Posts: 4 Arc User

micky1p00 said:

Lead Designer - Is responsible for the teams under him, and gives them general direction or accept/deny suggested ideas in general, or in this case systems designers team in particular.
    He is the Overall direction of NW Boss.

The question was understandable for everyone who understands the core issue with how scaling is implemented. Via Caps.

I'm in full agreement. He may not be directly working on systems but he must have some involvement if only working through the idea.

The question regarding capped stats was easily understandable. The response he gave was not one you want to see coming from the man in charge.

To me he came across like "Does not compute. I don't know what the main component behind this new system does. I've never heard of stat capping before in my life. I just work here. Move along. Double AD people we love you!"

I am sorry that it came across that way. I am sure there are many times during the work day when I look like a deer in the head lights. I was honestly trying at first to parse if the question meant that adjusting stat caps was being asked as an option for players to be able to choose, and how that would then affect progression, as in, would it also scale rewards. The goal of level scaling is that you're scaled to a given challenge which includes scale ratings, aka not letting them stay capped.

What that question did do, is reinforced to me as lead designer two places where level scaling is not making players happy. After I had a chance to think about these things more, I started to wonder that since we are adjusting stats on the player end, did we look deep enough into the balance of critter ratings- as this can really make a difference on how even level scaled stats can feel ineffective and frankly not powerful.
    The concept and goals of challenge campaigns was reviewed and signed off by me- with the ideas that players after hitting level 80 may not have completed or even started some of the previous campaigns, and that the risk reward of the scaling was sound. Some of the bugs that we found at launch clearly got past us, and we have made great strides to addressing them- and based upon player feedback we are still adjusting the scaling, and looking at the risk/reward loop and our original ideas for this system.

This is not a done deal, but an ongoing conversation.
    Thanks again for this dialogue.
    M.K.
    Mr. Thomas Foss, I've never seen a game that when you get to the maximum level, you're getting limited. I have seen, games that when new expansions enter, the game was beautiful to play, but ... it had times that the game sucked, in this case Neverwinter Mod 16 happened that. Face is not just balancing you do because players who go to pvp and can not kill players who play since the game exists, (and have dedicated themselves to have their equipment, etc.). With that you and your team stirred the mechanics of the game, where the game was beautiful and turned into a mess, and what strikes me most are the ways that you and your team have in relation to the player. The players are talking about what is wrong with the game, and you can not help but punch a knife. There is a player who has already given up playing, there is a player that does not even go to the pvp anymore. By the time I started playing, I could not kill anyone in this game, after a few years I managed to have fun because I got to the level of the other players. In that Mod 16 that you and your team moved .... our, not the will to play. And to this day no one arranges anything, or no longer knows how to fix. And then stay on those excuses and deceive the player. Speak as soon as you mess up the game, do not know how to fix and the player has the free will to play the game, or look for another game to have fun.
  • picar66picar66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 118 Arc User
    And when you 1000 times repeat, that scaling is good, we players dont feel so. Accept that and period.

So as player you have 2 choices, complain till something MEANINGFULL change or leave.
    Most have choosen the leave option or are very short before that decision.
  • tassedethe13tassedethe13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    picar66 said:

And when you 1000 times repeat, that scaling is good, we players dont feel so. Accept that and period.

So as player you have 2 choices, complain till something MEANINGFULL change or leave.
    Most have choosen the leave option or are very short before that decision.

True only a few part is complaining on forum
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    And i thought I remember players saying the game was too easy.... same ones saying game is too hard now?

I dont mind the difficulty.. but I dont like the combat in certain areas now...

Example throne of the dwarven blah.. playing that skirmish made me feel so much anxiety as I waited for my cc cooldowns to reset and try to keep the golems off the clerics that were praying... I was nothing short of super annoyed. Some of these skirmishes were designed for faster cooldowns and the new system cant keep up. Even when you have clothing that reduces encounter cooldowns by 1 second every 5 seconds....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • akneth#7126 akneth Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Nothing about fixing the HP Boons or companions that give HP which neither do. I have personally sent it in several times with no response and yet no fix or nothing. This has been happening since release as well as other things.
  • gripnir78gripnir78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 374 Arc User
    benyr said:

You say progress did not exist in the game between mod's 6 and 15. That is demonstrably incorrect. For example, when FBI first dropped it was a tricky dungeon to pug, a few mods later as most peoples Chars. had more boons, better gear, enchants etc FBI had become easy to pug. A few more mods down the road and i was happily soloing FBI without any difficulty. That is clear proven evidence that progression did exist between Mods 6 and 15, so that side of your argument is not up for debate, you are factually incorrect.

@benyr - I belive you still cant get that what you typed above is exactly the reason we have MOD 16.

It was not a progression - it was constant ruining a game to the point where there was no reason adding any new content as all that was trivialised any way. I have seen Ras Nisi being killed in 4 seconds from start of combat - 1 month after release, I was a member of the party finishing FBI under 12 minutes without ice melting exploit.

And finaly it went to a point where there was no progression any more- well unless you call a progression a new set of gear that did not in fact was changing a thing - no matter what new content was added BIS premades was able to tear that apart in 15 minutes unless there was a bug or mechanic preventing that.

And of top of that we were cursing a bad drops... really?

NOW - dont get me wrong here - I hate scalling in a form it is implemented today - as I stated above it should be content side not player side scalling - players would be left with choice what difficulty they want and proper rearwards should follow those - that would kept players happy, there would be not only a progression but - what is far more important - a reason to put your effort in progression - and on top of that it would not left large parts of content abandoned - in short - completly opposite to what we have now.

And the best part is - devs already had that system on trials with introduction of MOD 15 hard core options for a dungeons, Why they dicided to abandon it instead of developing/implementing it is a mystery to me...
  • benyrbenyr Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    @gripnir78 hi there, i think your effectively saying the same as i was, youve just misconstrued what my example was intended to show. My bad if it was unclearly worded.

It was showing progression did exist up to mod 15 as toons became measurably stronger .

It was not intended as a comment on how difficult the game should be. The problem we had up to mod 15 was progression meant turning a slightly tricky dungeon for a well geared player into a no brainer easy coast through in no time. And i whole heartedly agree the dungeons should not get that easy that quick. What i would like to see is a progression from a very hard dungeon that challanges anyone, gradually overtime become easier so that eventually the whole playerbase can enjoy it, and i dont really mind whether this is done by "correct" scaling or gradual reasonable power creep over a respectable period of time.

The problem we have with the current scaling is that a dungeon realeased today is X hard. Due to scaling regardless if what you do to your toon it will still be X hard in 6 months and still be X hard in 5 years.

This might sound great, but where do you pitch a difficulty level that never changes. The playerbase has a huge range of player abilities from elites in high end guilds running in elite premade groups, to players who may not be as good (may have dissabilities affecting reaction times etc), are guildless and rely on pug groups.

If you pitch at the top end you keep the top pkayers happy, but no one else will be able to run the dungeon, ever. Realistically you have to pitch on the easy side to satisfy the majority of the playerbase, but that will upset the top players and results in the dungeons being way too easy.

The only solution to keep everyone happy is to vary the difficulty of the dungeon, either by gradually making it easier or allowing players to gradually improve.

And that gets back to my main gripe about mod 16, the scaling is horrifically implemented and in its current format will either be the direct cause of making the game too easy to suit the masses, or driving the masses away and killing the game. Difficulty its self is not the issue, the inability to vary the difficulty currently due to the scaling is.