test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sometimes Atropal pulls harder?

klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
Today something strange happened, usually I have no trouble at all, however, this time Atropal sucked me in with a strength that took me by surprise and was much harder than usual.
You can see my fail at minute 14:00 in the video here:

Tomorrow I'll show you another video (when Twitch finishes processing it...) of another codg run that took much longer with pugs where I never fell down just so you know I'm not completely oblivious to the mechanic.

Is there something that triggers this particular strong pull? The fact that I was not facing him face to face (I was at his side) makes the pull stronger? or is this just a bug?

Comments

• mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    If the OP is not running there offhand that provides the group increase control resist the pull will be stronger or if the OP fall off. That is what I noticed during my many CoDG runs.
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    > @mebengalsfan#9264 said:
    > If the OP is not running there offhand that provides the group increase control resist the pull will be stronger or if the OP fall off. That is what I noticed during my many CoDG runs.

I don’t know a single OP who uses that.

I also don’t think that control resist generally applies to this mechanic outside of the resistance or outright evasion granted by class shift powers, like how OP and GF can raise their shields and make only minor adjustments while an immune dodge like DC’s slide prevents any pulling or pushing while in the immune frames.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Ok, here's the other video for confirmation, this is a 40 mnute video of another codg req pug (one wipe included).
    Pulls at 8:10, 16:20, 36:40, 37:50 and 41:50
    Cheated of a scroll at 25:20 :P

Am I the only one noticing a big difference with the first video, the pull seemed at least 50% stronger, so far the only two possible causes might be:

1) If you are closer to the boss, the pull is stronger.
    2) If you are not facing the boss face to face, the pull is stronger.

Honestly both seem improbable, however, just in case, can anyone confirm if the pull has different strengths dipending on your position?

Edit: I came up with another possible cause, but perhaps even more improbable, the pull is stronger if you don't have any party member close to you. I'm just gonna put it out there, in case anybody wants to test it out.
    Post edited by klangeddin on
    I have run CoDG a lot and the last time I remember the pull being that strong was right after mod 13 dropped and it has been fixed 2x if not 3x to make the pull easier for the group.

I’m not able to watch the video right now, but are you accounting for the difference when the party has movement speed buffs active vs. not?
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    vorphied said:

I’m not able to watch the video right now, but are you accounting for the difference when the party has movement speed buffs active vs. not?

Honestly, I'm not. But I can tell you why I find it unlikely that the movement speed buffs made the difference in my case.

1) This happened like once in dozens of runs so far with different pug groups. What's the likelyhood that I always had the speed buffs in the other runs and didn't in that one time?
    2) I saw the video again and compared it to the pulls in the second video where I don't fall. In that same video, there are pulls where I have ITF and pulls where I don't. ITF is quite a good speed buff, and, despite that, it didn't really make a difference in the strength of the pull. I did just in fine in either cases.
    3) Finally. The way I handle the pull actually doesn't involve me moving around much, I actually stand still for half the pull phase with shift held down (I'm GF). From the videos you can see this much better, when you have time, if you want.
  • smulchsmulch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 625 Arc User
    considering how low the dps was, I'm willing to bet that very few players use shepherd
    I watched some of the vids again and am not really seeing anything different from what I normally expect.

For example, in the first video around 14:20 where the poster falls in, I see him facing the boss and not backstepping enough to avoid getting dragged too close to the inner edge, which appears to be a tiny bit narrower than the visual suggests.

I don't think that facing the boss or not matters as far as pull strength, but personally I find it easier to begin at the outer edge, facing the walls, and walking outward against the pull.

Also speed buffs don't exactly affect the "strength" of the pull, but they do mitigate its effect since it takes less movement on the player's part to compensate when their speed is higher (provided that they are actually moving at the time).
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    I never face boss when doing this. I actually use "A" and "D" for the push-pull mechanic. I always stand almost to the edge of the outer ring (have to be careful not to get tiger dead).

As soon as baby starts pulling in, I allow it to go up to mid part of the ring, then I press "A" several times, and then hold "A" until I get to the mid area again. I quickly go back to inner ring by pressing "B" and the little push does nothing.

I use Gladiator's guile as my Mount Insignia bonus. I have around 2000 movement, too. 12DEX. I never use shifting.

Try going left or right instead of forward/backward. And stand near the edge. First video shows that you have been on practically mid area. Ofc you got pulled in.

At first it starts slow, then it pulls in harder and harder. I do not think that party-based buffs here will do anything useful, it is just a mechanic that needs to be taken into consideration.

Frankly, I've seen a lot of people having issues with this. Especially ppl who play GFs.

I also think that sometimes Dragonborn class can have a bit more problems as they did come with some collision bugs before.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    It almost seems like sometimes there is a second push, or maybe a very delayed push. I used to have no problem with the count and dodge method. But lately, after I think I am in the clear, I start walking back to the group and get a push and fall off. Now I just keep moving towards the inside for a few more seconds after the dodge.
    I see so many players fall off do to not paying attention, being in the center prior to the mechanics, some trying to use the movement mode only to fall, I have see a GF use ITF which results in some players having to much speed and flying off the edge, etc...

The issue is where you are standing and not the mechanic of the content. In fact it was much harder at launch than what you show. It was so much stronger that not only did you have to go to the edge and walk away you also had to use your movement mode as well both with the pull and the push.
  • lardesonlardeson Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    nothing to do with where u are facing, atleast not for a tank. this is just one of the 100 bugs that can pop up in cradle. it sux but it happens. it was worse for me last week. not just the pull being at super sonic speed but the fact i couldn't even resist it. i normally turn away from the boss and set my fov high enough to see what he's doing and just hold W when it starts. without any bug, never died doing this, but sometimes its hopeless, your W or any other movement keys for that matter wont work. Not to mention when he spits on you during the pull which leaves you prone and rip. Or when you get the red circles that will also knock you prone and gg. it's random but happens, nothing u can do about it, i just sit there after yelling wth!!!!
    Lardeson CW not Mage. Where's my fireball and my thunderbolt?
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    doesn't standing in front of the faces on the wall (which are animated to be blowing inward then sucking outward) increase the pull/push if you are standing in front of them?

Were you standing in front of one of these at the time?
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • nevertwinevertwi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 80 Arc User
    Looking at the pulls and assuming that the faces make the pull more strong, i see the following:
    Video 1:
    • 14:20: You stood at the outer edge and had one of those faces behind you. So you got the stronger pull, you had no itf on and you started to walk back after you have already be pulled over the middle of the platform. -> getting killed.
    Video 2:
    • 8:20: You stood at the outer edge and had no face behind you. You had no itf on and you started to walk back rigth at the start of the pull. -> Survived
    • 16:20: You stood at the outer edge and had no face behind you. You had itf on and you started to walk back rigth at the start of the pull. Because you had itf on you were able to switch between your back stepping and letting yourself pulled -> Survived
    • 36:50: You stood at the outer edge and had no face behind you. You had itf on and you started to walk back close at the end of the pull. You had increased cc resistance because of Villiance Menace, which i dont know if that has any effect. No face, itf and close to the same amout of movement as in 16:20 and maybe VM -> Survived
    • 37:50: You stood at the outer edge and had no face behind you. You had itf on and you started to walk back at the start of the pull. You moved more than in 16:20, so you had to step forward at the end of the pull -> Survived
    • 41:50: You stood at the outer edge and were close to the face. You had increased cc resistance because of Anionted Army. You had no itf on and you had close to the same amout of movement than at 37:50. -> Survived
    -> Looks fine to me.

Did not looked the whole video, but again the debuffs were not moved away from the group, which caused several deaths.