test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Answered - High disk i/o

pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User
edited December 2018 in Bug Reports (PC)
Might not be Arc/Neverwinter but I have experienced very high disk i/o operations while running the game in the past few days. I turned off AV, both third party and Microsoft Defender and rebooted multiple times. It starts at about 30 min into the game, disk hits 100%.

This could very well be a disk going bad but scandisk did not find anything but I thought I would report it.

iMac 27" 2012 running bootcamp
Windows 10 Pro - 1809
Apple drivers but updated Nvidia video to latest per your last requirement
Post edited by pitmonster#5684 on

Comments

• Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,220 Arc User
    Are you low in RAM? If the system starts to swap memory, it hit disk.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    your system might be running other back ground task such as windows updates or Microsoft store update s/ anti virus updates
    also if the game crashes it tries to submit a bug report that takes up disk resources in the background even if you relaunch

download hard disk sentinel which is free and it will tell you if your drive if failing / has bad sectors / its temp
    its a good early warning to backup
    additionally if you go to task manger and system resources you can see which process is taking up disk resources by percentage
    I also recommend diskkeeper 2018 to improve disk performance on the fly for mechanical or ssd drives and extend their life

if you have an ssd you may need to run trim on it or performance will degrade as well

I take it the game is fully installed and not patching on demand

also your hard disk might be heavily fragmented or you are running some torrents or background app .
  • Options
    kalina311 said:

your system might be running other back ground task such as windows updates or Microsoft store update s/ anti virus updates
    also if the game crashes it tries to submit a bug report that takes up disk resources in the background even if you relaunch

download hard disk sentinel which is free and it will tell you if your drive if failing / has bad sectors / its temp
    its a good early warning to backup
    additionally if you go to task manger and system resources you can see which process is taking up disk resources by percentage
    I also recommend diskkeeper 2018 to improve disk performance on the fly for mechanical or ssd drives and extend their life

if you have an ssd you may need to run trim on it or performance will degrade as well

I take it the game is fully installed and not patching on demand

also your hard disk might be heavily fragmented or you are running some torrents or background app .

Thanks for the reply.

The computer only has this issue when NW is running and ~30 into the game. Been running it all morning and not in the game and disk is fine. I suspected AV was doing live scans so I shut that down.

I ran the sysinternals prodmod and it always list the processes as syshost, which can be just about anything.

The disk is a spindle (its an older Mac). I have an SSD and thought about replacing it but doing anything on an iMac is a pain in the HAMSTER. Might do it anyway, will just copy the game files over to another computer and start the process.

• Options
    kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    wait are you emulating the game on a mac ?? or booting into windows on the mac
    i take it the latter again if you go into task manger and performance and resource meter you might get a better break down under the disk category

you might also try locking your swap file to a set size instead of being dynamic which also hammers the hard disk

system control panel advanced system setting ..performace ,,virtual memory ..change ..and set a custom size like 16384
    (which is 16 gigs of virtual ram )

or maybe run a full scandisk and check your drive for errors

also you said it "just" started happening ....

maybe the game files are located somewhere weaker on the disk that is failling that why i said to use hard disk sentinial to tell you the disk age and health etc even just to rule that out

I take it the hard disk is not 90% full either and fully defragmented

or like you said try it on a Pc / newer instead : d with updated video drivers

• Options
    OK, I have a Windows To Go boot thumb drive that I booted the same Mac to so same hardware other than disk drive but different Windows (1803) and Neverwinter worked fine after install. So it is either my disk or Windows 1809.