test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Would Like: Shards & Campaign Currencies via Professions

vytau#6701 vytau Member Posts: 4 Arc User
Greetings, all!

I had a "wouldn't XYZ be nice" moment while in Dread Ring the other day: I'd really like to be able to mine stronghold-building stuff (namely heroic / dungeoneers / adventurers shards and campaign currencies from Dread Ring, Sharandar, Well of Dragons, and Icewind Dale) via professional tasks...probably leadership.

Maybe this has come up before, though I skimmed the forums and didn't see anything--my bad if I'm duplicating.

My guild is a small guild. There are quite a few bottlenecks in place, but our biggest pinch point is easily shard gathering. Take heroic shards, for example: each character can only earn 20 per day (10 from builder's quest, 10 from completing a top-tier heroic encounter in the Stronghold). It makes for an occasionally frustrating slog to go out and get everything else, but then to watch that last number creep slowly, slowly upward. When the reward is invisible (e.g. farm, lumberyard, etc.), the disappointment can be discouraging.

Anyway, that's my $.02 and this seemed to be the place to mention it!

Comments

• nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    Your idea is nice. I just don't think it fits thematically with professions. All the shards are meant to be gotten by larger groups of people. Of course, this means it's harder for small guilds like yours and mine. My approach has been to take my and my wife's alts to the SH every day, pick up the quests, then run them on the weekend when I have time. With 17 characters between us, it lets me gather about 1000 heroic shards every week. I don't tend to work as hard on adventurer shards and so I only end up gathering about 600 to 700 of those weekly. Right now, I'm saving the Builder's quests for the 2x shards weekend coming up 20 - 23 September.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,390 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Another approach is to have multiple characters. That may not be applicable to your guild members though.
    Also, if your guild is part of the strong alliance, they may run daily SH BHE tour. A weak toon just needs to strike once or twice to get credit. They may also donate to your guild if they are SH 20 and their coffer is filled.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • kriptical1kriptical1 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    Sounds like a great idea withbprofessions. I can think of no greater reason than to read @nunya#5309 post about 17alts to keep it going. I can’t imagine the time and patience it must require to run years old boring content, over and over just to get curriencies.

To me, the req’s made sense years ago when it seemed Nw was going to actually have a raiding component. When it released Tiamat was still fresh and the idea of forming a larger guild to farm it(sans deadweight) sounded like great fun. Under this light the req’s would have made sense because guilds would have had to be larger. Sadly, Tiamat was the last of its kind... consequently, guilds are smaller, and have fewer people online, at any given moment. Frankly, I can just force myself to run the 400influence a day...and I loved(despite the shortcomings) farming the spawn camps in omu.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,390 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    All the big runs/farm such as Timat and various big SH events are now done by alliance.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User

Your idea is nice. I just don't think it fits thematically with professions. All the shards are meant to be gotten by larger groups of people. Of course, this means it's harder for small guilds like yours and mine. My approach has been to take my and my wife's alts to the SH every day, pick up the quests, then run them on the weekend when I have time. With 17 characters between us, it lets me gather about 1000 heroic shards every week. I don't tend to work as hard on adventurer shards and so I only end up gathering about 600 to 700 of those weekly. Right now, I'm saving the Builder's quests for the 2x shards weekend coming up 20 - 23 September.

You can gain shards as an individual on stronghold quests. Also you can already gain AD and labor vouchers through professions so why not shards?

• nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    Well, I'm not saying that the requirements shouldn't be made a little easier. I just don't think putting shards of any kind (heroic, adventurer, conqueror, or dungeoneer) into a profession task makes any sense thematically, without regard for which profession we're talking about. Crates of astral diamonds, crates of labor, and crates of other stuff make sense from a thematic perspective. However, there's nothing about professions that is particularly "heroic" or "adventurer-y" (or anything else) about doing a professions task.

@kriptical1 is right about the time it takes me to do these things. I think the requirements need to be looked at and changed. I've seen someone suggest eliminating all the different types of shards and just having a "shard of power" that is used for buildings. This makes quite a lot of sense to me. If they did this, they might not change the required numbers because of all the activities that generate them. I think they should do both: unify the types of shards into one and reduce the amounts required.

The way I handle running these SH quests right now is I run three HE's for the adventurer shards and the 345 influence I get, and I run the Builder's quests while I'm running from HE to HE. I can generally bang out a week's worth of quests and three HE's in about 15 minutes per character. Still, with 17 characters @ 15 minutes per character, we're talking 4 hours and 15 minutes of doing nothing but SH quests. I also do Dread Ring Support and Sharandar Support (only) on 13 of those 17 characters, whereas 4 of the 17 are capable of also doing IWD Support and WoD Support. So, yeah, I would love it if they would reduce the requirements so I could spend more time on the weekend doing things I want to do because I think they'll be fun, rather than doing things I have to do to progress my guild (and that I want to do because I want to progress my guild).

I wish they would make it so we can invite the Jubilee Traders year-round. Make them a weekly thing like the Recruiter and other such "buildings" and lower the amount they award. If they make them separate from the Jubilee Traders and have them come to The Millabout, then they could keep the Jubilee Traders and let guilds get a week of supercharged coffer contributions of campaign currencies. Honestly, my guild's bottleneck for building and upgrading is currently Tyranny Treasures and Frozen Treasures, in descending order. Of course, if those were less of a bottleneck, then we'd be back to waiting on shards.....