test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How is the poisoning and vicious blow of the Xuna companion managed?

tazquebectazquebec Member Posts: 4 Arc User
When I was playing DnD 4th with paper and pencil with my friends. The poison attacks the fortitude and causes a number of damage X points that is repeated on all the target's turn unless they 7/5000
succeed a Saving Throw.

The vicious blow consists of additional damage on a dice.

Can you explain to me how they work?

For my pars> :) as a former paper pencil player, I find that Neverwinter lacks transparency. I wish I could know how much damage, heals, "buffs" and "debuffs" my character performs without having to resort to an external program that interprets the combat file that also lacks precision for my taste.

Comments

• Options
    pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    Ok, umm, hoo boy...

Neverwinter takes a LOT of liberties with specific mechanics like these compared to the P&P game. It's beyond transparency (which there indeed a serious lack of as well), most mechanics are just loosely inspired by the original game. For some things, the name is the only thing that carries over. I really helps to think of this game as "inspired by 4E D&D".

To your questions, I don't know, it's not very transparent. :wink: Poison deals some amount of recurring damage so many times over a set duration, but they don't say how much, how often, or for how long. Looking at the combat log is the only way to see. I'm not sure about vicious blow, where did you see that?
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    The shortest answer is that Xuna is not among the best companions or terribly close to them. If game mechanics are a concern for you, you don't use her.

I can't explain the math behind her abilities (no doubt there are players around here who can reference a spreadsheet or provide a formula that does just that), but the numbers are simply inconsequential. You'll only care if your interest is purely academic.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Xuna has a very powerful daily type attack... and strong single blows.. they just take a long time to strike again between attacks.

She's comparable to the shadow demon...

That's very strong...

Put an indomitable rank 14 on her and watch as everything she hits melts.

The poison is nice to keep aggro when attacking many monsters at once.

If I remember correctly her poison is around 3000 damage one time tick.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited July 2018

Xuna has a very powerful daily type attack... and strong single blows.. they just take a long time to strike again between attacks.

She's comparable to the shadow demon...

That's very strong...

Put an indomitable rank 14 on her and watch as everything she hits melts.

The poison is nice to keep aggro when attacking many monsters at once.

If I remember correctly her poison is around 3000 damage one time tick.

Forgive me for reiterating my point; I do so only because it seems that the original poster may not yet be experienced with Neverwinter, not to be argumentative for the sake of it. But....

In end-game, summoned companions exist purely to activate their Bonding Runestones and to debuff targets, both in solo and in group content. The DPS companions put out is completely irrelevant for any class when you are sufficiently geared and using the right powers.

Playing with any companion for fun is fine, because fun is typically encouraged, as this is a game and not simply a spreadsheet. However, you don't want to invest Upgrade Tokens, RP, AD, or Zen into suboptimal companions unless you make that choice knowing all the information.

Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH