test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Stability and performance issues, constant crashing, unacceptable!

zomak#4611 zomak Member Posts: 223 Arc User
This game has some of the worst stability, performance, and crashing issues I have ever seen and I've been playing games since the MS-DOS days. Before I got my new computer the issue was performance with lag building up over time to unplayable levels. More specifically I would be playing fine, then all of a sudden I'd hit a point of unplayable lag and it wouldn't ever go away until I exited the game completely and then restarted it, then it would be fine for a hour or two until it happened again. Some times I would get bits of lag and glitchiness beforehand as an early warning and sometimes I wouldn't. I suspect that this was due to software aging from a memory leak, specifically I suspect a vram memory leak. To be clear the game would run fine on that computer, until it didn't with the lag starting, albeit on the lowest graphics settings. There is no reason why the game should lag like that though if the system can play the game just fine for an hour before it starts though, it's clearly a bug of some kind(memory leak probably) that is causing it to occur.

Since I've gotten my new computer I have no more lag problems at all, however I suspect that's more to do with the computer being just so overpowered that the horribly un-optimized code can't even phase it. However now the issue I have is the game just crashes randomly, and often. There is absolutely no reason why this new computer shouldn't be able to run this game on maximum settings on everything perfectly for as long as I want without issue unless the problem is the game itself. Also sometimes I get some graphics glitches, specifically sometimes groups of mobs disappear, even though they aren't dead yet, this especially seems to happen with a certain group of mobs in ToNG, one of the groups with the skeleton keys just outside the orcus chamber does this. This mobs disappearing glitch still happens even with my new computer, it also happened on the old one too. The bigger issue though is the instability crashing. I'm playing on a brand new $2,250 computer(not counting monitor, peripherals, etc.) with a new, fresh windows install with all the latest up to date drivers, and yet still I get issues and I am certain it isn't my system's fault.

My computer's specs:

Motherboard: ASRock X299 Extreme4

CPU: i7-7820x (8 physical cores at 3.6 GHz)

Ram: 16GB(2x8) Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4-3200MHz with Intel XMP 3200MHz enabled on the BIOS (currently until I get the replacement kit due to 1 faulty DIMM in a 4 DIMM kit when it shipped)

GPU: EVGA gtx 1060 6gb SC (gtx 1060 factory overclocked by 100MHz)

Storage: Crucial 512GB M.2 SSD

Comments

• Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    Are you getting any kind of error when this happens?

I personally have been playing on both PC and Xbox with 0 crashing and only minor performance issues on a much less up-to-date computer than yours, so I don't really know what could possibly be going on for you.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    pedro2908926pedro2908926 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    since mod 14 was released the game became unplayable for many ppl, i cant play Neverwinter anymore and looks like they dont even care about that issue, and those Community Moderators keep saying that is OUR PROBLEM.
  • Options
    percemerpercemer Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 1,048 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Greetings,

First, please check:
    - May be memory usage, so make sure they're not running a ton of stuff in the background
    - May be out-of-date gfx drivers
    - May be a corrupt file, which is fixed by the Verify Files step
    - May be something straight-up broken in game, in which case the workarounds become different
    (From Terramak)

- In the launcher options, uncheck the box for "On-demand patching", and save in order to download the whole game

If the issue persist, we invite you to submit a ticket for the Customer Support (https://support.arcgames.com/) by specifying these information:
    - System information (Operating system, DirectX version, graphics card)
    - Gameprefs.pref file (Found in Neverwinter_en -> Neverwinter -> Live -> localdata)
    - Dxdiag https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028644/windows-open-and-run-dxdiagexe

Kind regards,
    Percemer
    EU Community Manager @ Gearbox Publishing
    ----------
    Neverwinter: Discord - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube - Customer Support - Terms of Service
  • Options
    zomak#4611 zomak Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    percemer said:

Greetings,

First, please check:
    - May be memory usage, so make sure they're not running a ton of stuff in the background
    - May be something straight-up broken in game, in which case the workarounds become different
    (From Terramak)

- In the launcher options, uncheck the box for "On-demand patching", and save in order to download the whole game

If the issue persist, we invite you to submit a ticket for the Customer Support (https://support.arcgames.com/) by specifying these information:
    - Gameprefs.pref file (Found in Neverwinter_en -> Neverwinter -> Live -> localdata)
    - Dxdiag https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028644/windows-open-and-run-dxdiagexe

Kind regards,

percemer said:

It's a fresh clean windows installation. There is barely anything running in the background. This is not the problem. Even if there was stuff running in the background 16gb system ram and 6gb vram should be more than enough for this game.
    percemer said:

The drivers are currently the latest drivers. Version 398.36 released on 06/26/2018. This is not the problem
    percemer said:

I do a verify all files every time the game crashes. My computer can do this pretty fast so it's not an issue to do it. This is not the problem
    percemer said:

(From Terramak)

Bingo. This is what I am trying to say. It's obvious there is something broken in the game. I have no issues with other games that are much more demanding than this one.
    percemer said:

This option is turned off. However as has already been reported here several times since the release of Mod 14 this option doesn't seem to work properly. The game still continues to behave with on-demand patching even when the option is unchecked. Which brings us back to the point above, the game is broken.
    percemer said:

I already told you my system information including my graphics card if you had bothered to actually read my post completely. Rest assured the issue is not with my system. It's with your code.

Regarding what error message I got. The last time it happened I got the infamous "device removed" error message.