test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Control Resist

shadoewraythshadoewrayth Member Posts: 183 Arc User
Does this even work at all? I have a Dwarven Paladin because on Xbox my Half-Elf Paladin gets tossed around a lot (when I fail to activate the block in time). I looked up control resist pretty heavily before making that decision, and all I could find was that it doesn't actually resist the effect from happening, only shortens the effect's duration. Supposedly, a 50% would cause the duration to be halved. That seemed ok and workable! Well, I have worked my control resist up a pretty good bit, and by my estimation, should be around 50% or more. However, the control resist stat stills says 0! And, the control effects seem to affect me just as much, and for same duration, as anyone else being hit by those effects.

So, is this statistic just broken completely? Is it absolutely worthless? If so, why is it even still in the game, and why haven't Dwarves been given some other bonus to make up for it? Or, is this just a bug/glitch and the devs are actually trying to fix it? What's up with it?

Comments

• Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    If you have 50%, it doesn't half the duration. It is noticeable but less than that. You can test it out if you have the Slyph companion.

The stat on your character sheet isn't a percentage value, however. It is a number like other stats. 100 pts of it give you around 1% for the stat you are looking for. If you are stacking things that give a percentage, then that won't be reflected in the number you see. Slot a Refuge insignia which grants Regeneration and Control Resist and you number should go up accordingly.

As far as I know, the Dwarf racial bonus has never worked since Beta and probably never will. I doubt the devs are doing anything with it. There are so many bugs in the game, don't expect too much.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    Yeah, a lot of things like control resist, control bonus, recharge speed, etc. don't really work like you'd expect them too. Others are more fluent with it than I am, but beyond what pitshade said, the basic idea is that you already start out with "100%" in all of those, and bonuses or penalties add to that. In the case of control resist, 100% means no change, penalties would increase the effect, bonuses would decrease it. So +50% (150% total) wouldn't halve the control effect, it would cut it to more like 2/3rds. +100% is would be half, 200% would be 1/3rd, 300% would be 1/4, etc.

So (assuming I'm remembering all this correctly), let's say an effect has a control duration of 3 seconds and you have +50% (150%) control resist. That 3 seconds would be divided by 150%, or 1.5, which would then result in 2 seconds, 2/3rds as long.

But yeah, the Dwarf racial bonus has never worked as far as I know. I'm not sure what the holdup is, it doesn't *seem* like that big of a fix, but there could be a whole mess of spaghetti code that was hard-coded with a meat-axe by a hate from old times. It's happened elsewhere in this game.

Also, control resist is further stepped on by a lot of (especially newer) monsters having their own heavy control bonuses because of level or just to be mean. Heck, some monsters nowadays full on cheat and completely ignore control resist and immunity, you know, just to be mean. :wink:
  • Options
    shadoewraythshadoewrayth Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    Well, that bites... and I’m already 70, with over 9k IL. Don’t really notice it not working until that point in the game *sigh* guess I’ll work on a race reroll or something.