test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is There a Combat Timer for Ravenloft?

cap1776cap1776 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
Hi all.

I have had the following situation come up and originally I thought it was a bug; but I'm wondering now if it's supposed to happen. I do not remember really having this issue before Ravenloft, but I have not played the other high level end game campaigns yet.

I was trying to complete the Tracking the Beast mission in Ravenloft with my Devoted Oath Paladin; but I ran into the following situation repeatedly, and it has prevented me from being able to complete the mission:

I go to the Blooded Werewolf and he spawns in and attacks me... we fight for what seems like forever, because I'm a healadin and dont' do a lot of damage. Then... suddenly without warning, he just fades away like a character who just logged out. I hae done this a lot of times, always with the same result.

I had decided that the mission was bugged, when I took my Control Wizard out for a spin... again, this character does not do a lot of DPS... and he was attacked by a few Twig Blights... the combat went on and on... I was finally starting to wear them down, when they just stopped and ran back to their starting positions. This wasn't a case of kiting... we were relatively close to their spawn... I did this again, and after afew times, it was a rinse and repeat.

So I'm asking here... not if I have encountered a bug, but if there is normally some sort of timer in the game where, if a player gets into a fight, and it takes 10-15 minutes and is still going on, it causes the monsters/ enemies to reset, as if they had not been aggroed in the first place. If this is the case, it would greatly help so that I know that I just can't complete those missions without a group and I can move on.

Thanks for your help...

Answers

• tassedethe13tassedethe13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    Hello,

Isn't it a quest bound to night in barovia?

Night is 15 min long which can explain the reset after 15min
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    I can say that I once fought Biggrin in his Tomb for about half an hour and he didn't reset :smile:
  • cap1776cap1776 Member Posts: 54 Arc User

Hello,

Isn't it a quest bound to night in barovia?

Night is 15 min long which can explain the reset after 15min

I tried the werewolf fight during the day and at night and in between.
  • shadoewraythshadoewrayth Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    My brother has the same problem with this quest... and is with the paladin as well. I play a warlock, so, I destroy the wolf in like 10 seconds or less lol, but, he says he fights it for a minute or more and then it just poofs like vampires do at daybreak (but it does not seem to be a time-locked event?)
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    Okay I am going to ask the dumb and obvious question. Why is anyone running a heal build when soloing something?

Okay, my OP - who is by no means op in the other sense and only moderately well geared - is running a tank build, because I'm too lazy to switch loadouts when I do solo stuff. But she can still bring down even the hard mobs in Barovia in about 20 sec. 40 if I really mess up with the werewolves and keep getting knocked down.

Like good lord, why don't you make a damage dealing load out and switch? Or are you having trouble switching loadouts in which case please disregard this, but if not I'm truly puzzled here.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • ragnarz2ragnarz2 Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    Not for nothing but the right healdin build easily out-dps's any OP tank build.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,184 Arc User
    It does not really matter if it is a headdin or CW or anything. OP's characters are just too weak for this. Based on what he wrote, his is more or less a fresh level 70 with no boon, etc. For me, "Tracking the beast" is the easiest small quest among all the small quests in the area. It is straight forward. Go through 3 circles. Kill the beast and it is done. I played 6 characters for this campaign. That means I need to run many small quests. This quest is my favorite because it is quick and easy. All my toon (none are close to BiS) can kill the boss in seconds.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    ragnarz2 said:

Well none of my fights in Barovia has taken 15 minutes, not even the Night Terror, so I beg to differ.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
    ilithyn said:

ragnarz2 said:

Well none of my fights in Barovia has taken 15 minutes, not even the Night Terror, so I beg to differ.
    Not to be 'smart' but... they did say, "the right healdin build" [sic]... lol
  • feioso123feioso123 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    > @shadoewrayth said:
    > Not for nothing but the right healdin build easily out-dps's any OP tank build.
    >
    > Well none of my fights in Barovia has taken 15 minutes, not even the Night Terror, so I beg to differ.
    >
    > Not to be 'smart' but... they did say, "the right healdin build" [sic]... lol

When ppl have the tools but don't use them...*sigh

Devotion OP is capable of killing stuff as quickly as a Prot Op, if not faster in certain situations...you just need to set the powers accordingly.
    feioso123 said:

> @shadoewrayth said:

> Not for nothing but the right healdin build easily out-dps's any OP tank build.

>

> Well none of my fights in Barovia has taken 15 minutes, not even the Night Terror, so I beg to differ.

>

> Not to be 'smart' but... they did say, "the right healdin build" [sic]... lol

When ppl have the tools but don't use them...*sigh

Devotion OP is capable of killing stuff as quickly as a Prot Op, if not faster in certain situations...you just need to set the powers accordingly.

Agreed. However, we only get two free load outs, and pretty sure that a lot don’t know how to use them properly (myself, I run a templock build for grouping and a pet build for soloing, I really can’t do the pure DPS SW build), so, that may very well be their only loadout? Who knows...
  • cap1776cap1776 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    ilithyn said:

Okay I am going to ask the dumb and obvious question. Why is anyone running a heal build when soloing something?

Okay, my OP - who is by no means op in the other sense and only moderately well geared - is running a tank build, because I'm too lazy to switch loadouts when I do solo stuff. But she can still bring down even the hard mobs in Barovia in about 20 sec. 40 if I really mess up with the werewolves and keep getting knocked down.

Like good lord, why don't you make a damage dealing load out and switch? Or are you having trouble switching loadouts in which case please disregard this, but if not I'm truly puzzled here.

This is a different subject, but the answer for me is that I truly dislike the concept of loadouts. I spent years making my main and some alts and I have built them the way I wanted.

So, quite simply... I ignore the loadout system. In general my characters have performed relatively well for general purposes, and I am not a power gamer.

As one other poster has stated, at 9600 IL, my character is low for Barovia. That still doesn't explain why an enemy just disappears in the middle of a fight.