test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

duird class

blondie987blondie987 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
my understanding is that when ravenloft launches we are supposed to get a new class added to the game druid? its bween hinted at on the neverwinter facebook page yet I see nothing about it in the patch noes so is druid coming with ravenloft or what?

Comments

• rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    There is no new class in Ravenloft.
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    Well unless they are sneaking it into the game on patch day tomorrow I do not think we will get Druid Class. :( I wished we did but I doubt they are doing it this time.
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    There are cursed druids in the area, but they are things you have to kill.
  • blondie987blondie987 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    well there are on the neverwinter fb page 2 char classes hinted at one being druid the other being a clas clled incanter i'm guessing wuivalent of enchanter so I guess we will see
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    And when we were attacked by bards in River District everyone swore bard would be the new class then.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    edited June 2018
    there has been talk though and conversation since game launch of players wanting druid to be brought into the game druid has been highly wanted class for neverwinter
    Anything we don't have that is considered a standard is "wanted" by someone, somewhere, within the game.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    greywynd said:

Anything we don't have that is considered a standard is "wanted" by someone, somewhere, within the game.

that may be true but where d&d are concerned druid has been a standard as far as character classes go
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

greywynd said:

that may be true but where d&d are concerned druid has been a standard as far as character classes go
    I can 100% guarantee beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is no new class being added with Ravenloft.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    The developers did say at some point in the past that there was one class that was almost ready - this was, however, before they lost some developers to the new MMO they are working on. Later they said that no new classes would be introduced before the had finished reworking and balancing the existing classes.

As most players will agree, some of the classes are still in need of extensive rework/rebalance.

Now, we know we are not getting a new class with the Ravenloft mod - but whether we get one with mod 15 (which many people assume will feature a small part of Undermountain and an even smaller part of Waterdeep), is still unknown. Personally I am betting on a new class in mod 16.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • ithnewithnew Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    OP is trolling, methinks. At least I hope they are.
  • wd1966wd1966 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 64 Arc User
    Well, I haven't finished the update to Ravenloft, but I did see the image. It does imply the druid and incanter being adversaries than a new class. Yet, the FB page didn't wish wash about a class not coming in the near future eight.

:)
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    That's not about a new class. That's about the "collectable card game" tarokka that is part of the Ravenloft storyline.
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    They post a picture on social media, then a couple other websites draw wild conclusions, THEN people start speculating to each other like it's real...

*sigh*
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    pterias said:

They post a picture on social media, then a couple other websites draw wild conclusions, THEN people start speculating to each other like it's real...

*sigh*

Yeah. The moment I saw the "image that confirms druid!" my first thought was - 'uh, that's the new companion in the background.... has nothing to do with druids being released as a PC class..."
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    I still believe, if they ever add another, it should just be a free form as they did with Champions. Free Form Slots allow you to create a new character and pick powers from any of the power frameworks, instead of having to pick one Archetype. The free form can be called "Druid" or "Bard" etc. You get to pick and choose with the current powers giving you a one of a kind class all your own. Wouldn't that work?
    wb-cenders.gif
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

I still believe, if they ever add another, it should just be a free form as they did with Champions. Free Form Slots allow you to create a new character and pick powers from any of the power frameworks, instead of having to pick one Archetype. The free form can be called "Druid" or "Bard" etc. You get to pick and choose with the current powers giving you a one of a kind class all your own. Wouldn't that work?

That sounds awesome, but I'm not sure that Wizards of the Coast would allow them to do something like that. It would be cool though. Kiss any chances at balancing something like that goodbye, but it would be fun.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
    edited June 2018

To expand on what Kreatyve said, D&D has never had a "roll-your-own character class" type system (not including 2.5, I NEVER include 2.5!!). While that has it's own merits, D&D doesn't really play there, so the chances of something like that in Neverwinter are slim and none. The closest we have is multiclassing, and NW has even avoided that completely.

That said, the Bard is historically the closest to a "multiclass in one class". An idea I thought would be cool is to have a Bard that could pick any other class's Paragon Path, to emulate multiclassing. Spell Storm Bard, here I come!!!
    Well if they could get it by WotC, it would end the grand debate over what the next class would be, also those FF slots sell like hotcakes $30 each on Champions (also a Cryptic owned game) --> read here for more information.
    wb-cenders.gif
    edited June 2018
    pterias said:

To expand on what Kreatyve said, D&D has never had a "roll-your-own character class" type system (not including 2.5, I NEVER include 2.5!!). While that has it's own merits, D&D doesn't really play there, so the chances of something like that in Neverwinter are slim and none. The closest we have is multiclassing, and NW has even avoided that completely.

That said, the Bard is historically the closest to a "multiclass in one class". An idea I thought would be cool is to have a Bard that could pick any other class's Paragon Path, to emulate multiclassing. Spell Storm Bard, here I come!!!

I can't see it going to the extreme of 'build-your-own' (too ripe for exploitation / broken builds), but the Lore Bard gets to pick a spell from any other class at certain points. So, to emulate this (if it was possible), IMO, would be to let the player choose one at-will (the third), an encounter (something around level 45), and maybe the last daily from a selected list - one selected from each class. So, you could have a bard with astral seal and sudden storm... Or magic missle and divine glow....

Not sure how they would handle a combat bard, though...Maybe limit the lists - Lore would get spells from CW, SW, DC, OP (devo), Combat would get choices from GWF, GF, TR, OP (prot)?
  • rhymenoiserhymenoise Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    cdnbison said:

Not sure how they would handle a combat bard, though...Maybe limit the lists - Lore would get spells from CW, SW, DC, OP (devo), Combat would get choices from GWF, GF, TR, OP (prot)?

Based on how NW handles classes already, I can see them ignoring or simplifying this. Expecially since the spellplague makes arcane magic a bit screwy. Chances are the two paragon paths will be Lore and Valor, if they don't make Skalds a separate class. Probably with Bardic Insparation being their tab skill, like the Paladin's Divine Call with it changing depending on path.
  • tomiotartomiotar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User
    really guys, what part of "we are never going to get a new class" dont understand? Its been over 3 years already since the devs stop working on new classes, you guys need to wait a decade before accepting it?
    BARDS TAKE OVER DRUID THREAD!!! MWAHAHAHA!!!

...anywho.

I'm not sure which would be more broken (or breakable), Bards being able to pick any PP, or Bards being able to pick and choose specific spells and passives. There is precedent for that in 4E with Powerswap Feats and Paragon Multiclassing where you can pick individual powers from other classes.

More likely would be going with Lore and Valor as the PPs. I imagine Lore would focus on more ranged abilities and control, while Valor would be more melee with buffing. Tab should definitely be Bardic Inspiration with different extras depending on PP.

If there are only Bard-specific PPs, Magical Secrets (learning spells from other classes) would be nice as a core Bard feature where certain power slots would be "pick a power from any class" instead of fixed. I don't think you necessarily need to constrain the option to "spells", but if so, CW, DC, OP, and SW would all be fair game. Lore Bards could get an extra Passive pick too. Another way to go would be Lore Bards get to pick an At-Will, Encounter, Daily, and 1 Passive from other spellcaster classes.
    @pterias - Kinda what I was thinking re: powers. I think - to prevent exploits / gamebreaking combos - you'd need to make it a relatively limited list of available spells, though.

And while I like the concept of Bardic Inspiration on Tab, I'm not quite sure how that would get reflected into a gameplay mechanic... With Druids, I can see it being their 'wildshape' button, to switch to / from their 'combat' form (with new powers slotting in for the combat form). In that regard, I could see it being similar to an HR - one spell might be good in combat form, another better as a humanoid caster. Unlike the HR, though, I'd be wanting to limit the amount of stance-dancing that could be done.
    Well, the basic function for Bardic Inspiration is to grant an ally a bonus to their attack/save/skill rolls, Lore Bards can use it to penalize an enemy's attacks, and Valor Bards can use it to boost an allies damage.

I could imagine expanding it to all targets in an area, something like OP's tab, with the base ability adding temp HP, defense, and/or damage (possibly healing too if Bard is classified as healer). the Lore version would also debuff enemy damage, and the Valor version would buff allied damage.
  • therealprotextherealprotex Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 526 Arc User
    cdnbison said:

pterias said:

I can't see it going to the extreme of 'build-your-own' (too ripe for exploitation / broken builds), but the Lore Bard gets to pick a spell from any other class at certain points. So, to emulate this (if it was possible), IMO, would be to let the player choose one at-will (the third), an encounter (something around level 45), and maybe the last daily from a selected list - one selected from each class. So, you could have a bard with astral seal and sudden storm... Or magic missle and divine glow....
    Lore-wise spoken, I don't see it. A Cleric is a divine conduit, power granted by his god. A Wizard uses the power of the arcane magic. A Druid draws on the divine essence of nature itself. There is nothing that these classes have in common except that their ability is called "spell casting". I do not believe that any god would grant the follower of another god (nature god) the power to cast one of "his" divine spells. And mastering both, the divine essence of nature and the arcane to cast spells from both domains seems a bit outerworldly, godlike to me. Too much power for a mortal.
    tomiotar said:

really guys, what part of "we are never going to get a new class" dont understand? Its been over 3 years already since the devs stop working on new classes, you guys need to wait a decade before accepting it?

Of course. That is how things work in all online games. For example; Back in 2012, the original Guild Wars crowd, was told there was no more updates or upgrades to be added to the seven year old game in the future. They said, the game would be automated and no new content added. Since that statement, they added more items and heroes. Then April 22, 2015 they added more weapons and just this year they updated and upgraded the graphics. What they say and what they do are totally different. I wouldn't hold my breath on a new class, but I wouldn't bet they don't have something on a whiteboard somewhere.
    wb-cenders.gif
    They had something on a white board. The janitor washed it off.