test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ranged?

xmarik69xxmarik69x Member Posts: 37 Arc User
I have one build that I've been following, but as PoP is integral, you have to be in melee range, I was wondering if anyone knows of a strong purely ranged build that does not use PoP at all?

Comments

• vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Melee range is more or less a fact of life for all characters in group PvE content, regardless of class. It's so important to stay close to receive the full benefit of power sharing and its interaction with bonding runestones that hanging out at range for any length of time becomes a DPS loss.

I don't play SW enough to answer your question otherwise when it comes to PoP vs. other options, but I wouldn't build anything designed to be played more than a few yards away from the center of the action in PvE given the current state of buffs and power share.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• xmarik69xxmarik69x Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    oh i found that out, I was more talking about for solo stuff
  • chimeraxchimerax Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    xmarik69x said:

oh i found that out, I was more talking about for solo stuff

With the way the mobs act in this game, you are going to be in Melee range 90% of the time.
  • duckntrollduckntroll Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    If you ask a mean to avoid melee does that mean you have problem surviving or do you just want some hunt's item buffing ranged powers ?

• In any case, even in low level solo (I'll be testing it seriously when I've time), I'd recommend to keep PoP (Pillar Of Power)
      • If you have trouble staying alive take AoH (Arms Of Hardar) to hammer foes in your PoP then move backward, cast PoP, (insert some other power if you can), rinse & repeat...
      • If it's for using "ranged" buff, I guess it will be far from a *1,2 buff (shared to the party!) that PoP provide (you can whine SW have so few competitive/correctly-tuned powers)
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Stack enough lifesteal HP and use PoP and Blades of Vanquished Armies. You will be quite tanky from all the lifesteal. Cast Tyrannical Curse on a huge mob if one is present and your lifesteal will outheal any damage. My SW was easily able to solo the Kabal ritual HE at lower IL doing that. (Fury spec, Temptation is even sturdier)
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • xmarik69xxmarik69x Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    to many sub stats to figure out what to stack...lol

as a DPS, I was told first and foremost, was to stack Armor Pen to get my DI to 85%, then crit strike, then Power, but raising those 3 high doesnt leave much for LS
  • mehrunesdagon#1073 mehrunesdagon Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    xmarik69x said:

to many sub stats to figure out what to stack...lol

as a DPS, I was told first and foremost, was to stack Armor Pen to get my DI to 85%, then crit strike, then Power, but raising those 3 high doesnt leave much for LS

I was suffering from the same problem too and I think this is where insigs, pets, and guild boons come into play. Honestly, I havent stacked much ls in a while. Even in a Tong or Codg group, Im finding myself using hp or def boon, and its worked better for me in that type of content. LS has been borked since m6. But if u do plan on stacking it, then guild boon and insig bonuses is a good start.

Thats just my experience with LS, like I always say again and again, Some SW out there are better than me, with better builds, better survivability. Ask some folks on here, theyre more than willing to help more than i have :)
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Completing Tyranny campaign and taking at least one of the final tier as Lifesteal makes a huge difference as it adds 5% IIRC. Gravemaster chest armor has a lot of lifesteal and still has good crit.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
    pitshade said:

Completing Tyranny campaign and taking at least one of the final tier as Lifesteal makes a huge difference as it adds 5% IIRC. Gravemaster chest armor has a lot of lifesteal and still has good crit.

I did on templock
    edited June 2018
    xmarik69x said:

I have one build that I've been following, but as PoP is integral, you have to be in melee range, I was wondering if anyone knows of a strong purely ranged build that does not use PoP at all?

For SW i'd say to try out soulbinder if you prefer to kill from a distance but like others have pointed out, you'd still have to be generally in melee range if you want buffs. When i do go SB which is very rare, i say HAMSTER it, im nearly 17k, with a good group. idc as long as we're having a good time and we get good rewards. Thing is i wont get chewed out since i generally run with friends and probably my il contributes as well.But i wont lie to you, to get the best SW has to offer u have to have some very good gear for that to happen. and i believe that is even more so for the soulbinder path.

HB is more versatile, Temptation is full support. SB is all about single target, and selfish dps. And when stacked up against other dps classes its not much at all. Ive been playing the class for a long time, and only when the gap is huge between stats and IL is where i come in 2nd or 3rd on paingiver charts. Then u have very knowledgeable players that come in and kill everything. Every class doesnt have the same amount of dps. GWF has pretty high dps, and has been dps king for some mods now. u have good players and u have bad players...
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    CLOSE RANGE????

Also, I'd just learn to stay in CQC so you don't run into the Archer HR roleplayer problem of panicing when enemies inevitably close the gap. It also teaches you how to get positional CA, how to dodge, and how much you tickle enemies comparative to the other DPS classes.

• schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Talking about groupcontent, about 20 to 30 inches to the left and right most powerbuffs like Battle fervor, Annoited Army, Dark revelry, Aura gifts will miss you.
    Same as placed buffs like devineDevine Glow, Pillar of Power 15`, wich allways are put more in the center. Going range setup you will deal only 20-30% of your damage, I´d estimate.
    If you run solo you can do as you like.
    I try to stack Damage resist and HP on my lock, Feytouched enchant is welcome for it´s debuff. Like that I can resist many oneshots and keep my buffbar up :)
    That´s the only way to hold against better and tankier strikerclasses in NWO.
    This game should have thought about the meaning of ranged classes since long, but as it is now there is no time to do so.
    Means every class in this game is melee.