test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Pally tank needing answers [PC]

armunn1armunn1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
edited April 2018 in The Citadel
Ill admit im VERY new to this game,but so far i'm liking it.I do have some questions concerning the oath bound paladin class.Can he be a full fledged go into battle,take an axe to the face and still smile,kind of tank? 2. Is he restricted to blunt weapons only? Im only asking cause im a fan of swords.Always have been.

If anyone could answer any of these question I would so much appreciate it.
Post edited by armunn1 on

Comments

• veywiil#8685 veywiil Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    Paladins are one of the only 2 classes that tank, and when it comes to endgame content you'll find OP is generally used instead of GF which likes to go DPS. So yes, we can take several million points of damage and not feel it.

We are not restricted to just blunt weapons, but you will find that most endgame weapons are blunt. With a decent weapon enchant though you'll just be swinging around a massive particle effect generating stick. I don't even see my weapon anymore it's just ablaze with particles and color. Transmutes are possible as well if you don't like the look of your current weapon type.
    I'm a theorycrafter, that means I can answer fairly deep questions with scientific theory, mathematical proof, and some guessing. Ask me stuff!
  • kharkov58kharkov58 Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    Yes, the paladin is restricted to only maces for all practical purposes, but there are transmutes that can make it look like a sword and a few other weapons,
  • armunn1armunn1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    Oh yeah but at higher lvls. Till then trudge on i guess LoL
  • evrisaevrisa Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    Welcome to the game! The thing about Pallys you need to remember is that your defense is from temporary hit points, not defense. Additionally, you want to take damage since 'damage = power' for pallys. It's a peculiar mechanic with pally's. So, while you can go full fledged into battle, take an axe to the face and keep smiling, you need to be properly prepared to do so. That first hit from a boss is normally without all of the party mitigation in full swing and it can tickle a bit ;) So you use your skills to protect yourself. After that, your temp HPs are building, party miti's are all out and it's time to beat the HAMSTER out of that boss! Nothing will take you down, unless you let your temp HPs come off :D
  • karvarekarvare Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    There are several threads that cover how the class works and how many of the functions work. The thread about templar's wrath is particularly informative.
  • armunn1armunn1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    Why is it it seems all tanks spec always seem to be more DPS oriented.I would think it's your talents not massive HP that would help you survive
  • frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    armunn1 said:

I would think it's your talents not massive HP that would help you survive

But OPs are supposed to ooze threat from every pore. If foes were fruit flies, OPs would be the vat of fermenting fruit. When you consider that there are four other players actively building threat through attacks and heals, it actually does take some skill to keep the enemies' focus on you - to promote combat advantage among other things. Sometimes success means you can't even see your paladin beneath the pile up of foes, and that's where the temporary hp comes in. Without that, you wouldn't last very long at all.