test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

dungeons

finnikiafinnikia Member Posts: 29 Arc User
did they ever fix the level disparity issue with putting players of a high level with near new players in the same group?

Comments

• pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    No
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    This "issue" was fully intentional. The problem is that the developers do not play the game enough (or at least not understand the playerbase well enough) to realize that this would cause problems.

Personally I don't do random dungeons with random groups - only with guild/alliance. That gets rid of the frustration for me.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,377 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    One of the main goal of RQ is to 'force' higher level player to 'help' lower level player.
    The end result was well predicted by the community and that is what adinosii said.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • chidionchidion Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Random "Dungeons" appear to have become something of an annoying joke to much of the player community in my opinion.

It seems many of the random dungeon runs I go on about half of those running dungeons don't even bother opening the chest at the end, they're just there for the AD's and since you don't have to pop the chest to get that reward, a lot of players exit as soon as the final boss battle is over.

Supposedly "new players" with low character levels and movement boons and enhancements in the thousands, players with character levels of 60+ running with gear item scores below 800, high and low level players exploiting the content and other party members, blatant AFK players and intentionally disconnecting players, it's all out there. There have always been players trying to pull some kind of scam or take advantage of existing exploits for their own personal gain the random dungeons just seems to consolidate more of them in a smaller area where their behavior can be more readily observed by others.

Random dungeons for high level and low level players so less experienced lower level players can learn from higher level more experienced players - good idea (in theory)...

AD reward for running random dungeons where players of all levels participate together - good idea...

Random dungeons as the primary (some claim only) way of getting quantity AD's in the game - not so good idea.

And I don't think anyone is being "forced" (which seems to translate to I don't wanna') to be considerate or helpful to new or lower level players. There are plenty of posts and examples of a few higher level players being inconsiderate and withholding helpful advice or assistance to new and lower level players.

Not so well posted are the many examples of more experienced and higher level players who are actually being helpful to less experienced and low level players.

Content where experienced higher level and newer lower level players are able to be temporarily teamed up for the purposes of more experienced players sharing their knowledge and tactics with less experienced players I believe was a laudable idea, but tying that into the primary (only) method of farming astral diamonds - not so much, as far as I'm concerned.
    edited March 2018
    chidion said:

It seems many of the random dungeon runs I go on about half of those running dungeons don't even bother opening the chest at the end, they're just there for the AD's and since you don't have to pop the chest to get that reward, a lot of players exit as soon as the final boss battle is over.

I assume this is level dungeon, the chance is the player does not have the key to open the chest. You need to obtain that one key from PE everyday to get something you don't really care. VIP key cannot open that chest. Hence, people do not bother to touch the chest they cannot open.
    chidion said:

AD reward for running random dungeons where players of all levels participate together - good idea...

Adding extra incentive to work with new player is a good idea. Removing one of the easy ways to earn AD from before is not.
    chidion said:

Random dungeons as the primary (some claim only) way of getting quantity AD's in the game - not so good idea.

And I don't think anyone is being "forced" (which seems to translate to I don't wanna') to be considerate or helpful to new or lower level players. There are plenty of posts and examples of a few higher level players being inconsiderate and withholding helpful advice or assistance to new and lower level players.

I used "forced" because it removed another way we used to be to do.
    i.e. went in solo to earn AD.

*** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    edited March 2018

chidion said:

I assume this is level dungeon, the chance is the player does not have the key to open the chest. You need to obtain that one key from PE everyday to get something you don't really care. VIP key cannot open that chest. Hence, people do not bother to touch the chest they cannot open.

Good guess, leveling dungeons...

But the point remains players run leveling dungeons, just for the AD's and they don't even need a daily key or any other key to get their rewards... kind of defeats the purpose for "daily" dungeon runs, when a player can run those dungeons ad infinitum just to pick up more astral diamonds by my way of thinking and I also believe this kind of encourages some players to attempt to exploit the content and other players just so they can get more AD's since all they really have to do is have their character(s) present when the final battle concludes to get rewarded.

chidion said:

Adding extra incentive to work with new player is a good idea. Removing one of the easy ways to earn AD from before is not.
    chidion said:

I used "forced" because it removed another way we used to be to do.
    i.e. went in solo to earn AD.

By "easy ways to earn AD's from before", I'm guessing you are referring to running private dungeons solo, for the sole purpose of getting AD's...

I'm thinking if that wasn't a problem prior to Neverwinter instigating random dungeons (despite the reasons they published for making the change), they probably wouldn't have removed that content to begin with, just give players the option of running solo/private or random dungeons with other players, but that's just my personal speculation on the matter.

What I believe to be the major problem with random dungeons (or private dungeons for that matter) is I mentioned, they presently appear to be the primary and some consider the only way to earn quantity AD's in the game.

There should be more content offering smaller AD rewards in the regular game content. The concept of running "quick and easy" content for large quantities of astral diamonds is something I personally believe should be terminated with extreme prejudice as I also believe it just encourages the worst kind of behavior from some players, rampant botting attempts, not to mention potentially and realistically borking the Neverwinter economy by giving too few players the opportunity to earn too many astral diamonds with little or no real effort on their part.

For a venue that presents itself as a "Dungeons and Dragons" content game, Neverwinter seems to be woefully remiss and sparse when it comes to actual "Dungeon" content in my opinion.

A player is "forced" to run random dungeons only if their primary goal is to procure mass amounts of astral diamonds as quickly and easily as possible. So I still object to anyone attempting to claim players are being "forced" to run random content, as opposed to the numerous other methods of earning astral diamonds in the game.

All a matter of perspective I suppose.

edited March 2018
    Exactly, if RQ is "optional", a lot of people will be happier. Right now, it is not exactly optional to many people. I can afford not to do it at all (for the moment) but not many people can. We asked that to be "optional" when RQ was introduced as an idea.
  • finnikiafinnikia Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to start something. I like running instanced dungeons in other games but the idea of a level 60 and a level 10 in a group seems odd to me, so I was just wondering if they evened it out, apparently not.
    finnikia said:

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to start something. I like running instanced dungeons in other games but the idea of a level 60 and a level 10 in a group seems odd to me, so I was just wondering if they evened it out, apparently not.

Most likely, you will see level 70 more. :)
    edited March 2018
    finnikia said:

Yup, presently there is no equalization attempt for different character or item level players in the same dungeon content, I suspect there may be some kind of limited "fix" under consideration to address some of the disparities in random content, but that's just a guess...

Also I believe one of the original concepts for running so many characters of different levels through random dungeons was so higher level, more experienced players could help and advise lower level and less experienced players.

A concept that was good in theory - but didn't really pan out the way I believe the developers hoped it would and IMO it doesn't help that running random's presently appears to be the primary method of quickly and easily obtaining astral diamonds either, something that players with characters at all levels seem to want.

But then for the most part I agree with you, there should be separate tiered content when it comes to random dungeons (and skirmishes) where if a player level is too high they are excluded from some content and if a player level is too low they are excluded from other content.

Of course that being said I've been seeing a lot more "lower (character) level players" with massive movement, attack and defense boons, gear and enchantments that allow those supposed "lower level players" to just run past most mobs in dungeons or more easily deal with them when and if they have to so I don't know what kind of solution there could be beyond either tiered content for different level players or everyone entering a particular content being equally leveled out on all of their gear and enhancements, which would be an appreciated boon to most lower level players and a much disparaged nerf to most higher level players.
    edited March 2018
    Yeah I said "quickest and easiest way to get AD's" not the quickest and easiest way to "maybe" get AD's, so I think I'll let my statement stand on it's own merits.

Funny that you would say no one would be running dungeon content without the AD's..

My characters and I suspect thousands of other player's characters, were running dungeon content even before there were massive quantities of astral diamonds attached to those quests, because when one completed a campaign area, that was the final quest the NPC's gave everyone to close out those campaigns... and that's still the way it is currently.

Complete the Tower District - run the Cloak Tower.
    Complete the Blackdagger Ruins - run the Cragmire Crypts.
    Complete Icespire's Peak - run Icespire's Frozen Heart...

Not to mention for pre level 70 characters in a guild, the Stronghold Cleric gives a daily quest to run a "random dungeon" for Dungeoneer's Shards of Power for those players to help the guild (or alliance) grow.

Somehow I have a feeling even without the massive AD rewards in random dungeons, or random dungeons being the primary or most reliable way to earn AD's, quite a few players who are interested in actually playing the game will still be running random dungeon content - but maybe not the players who are currently running those dungeons solely for the purpose of acquiring those massive quantities of astral diamonds... I think I'll just let everyone come to their own conclusion as to whether that would be a good, or a bad thing.