test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Drop in frame rate when transferring from closed areas to open space

rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
When I move from dung like area to open space or the other way around (entering Kabal in River district, leaving troll area and moving to turtle in FBI, in Omu moving from or to underground), the frame rate sometimes suddenly significantly drops.

Sometimes it helps to get back to previous area and in again, sometimes helps to relog - restarting client works every time. Anyway, even knowing these workarounds it is still a bother.

Changing drivers (nvidia) did nothing much with this issue... does anyone know if something in graphics settings is prone to create this issue? Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    This is completely expected due to the way video-game's loading.

The bigger the map and more NPCs around, the bigger the toil will be on your system.

Dungeons themselves or closed-out places use far less resources from your machine.

I do not want to dish out that you are experiencing some type of a bug, though, but what you are stating seems like a completely normal thing. If you use a lot of shadows and antialiasing you will have significantly lower framerate in populated areas.

Also remember that CPU and IP tracking is connected. More people around you will produce lower framerate regardless of your PC specs. This is just something that will happen in areas with mutliple people online from various locations. Again, completely expected. It's just the way MMOs work. Even if you play a MMO that's completely made in 2D environment you will have significant frame-drops in populated areas and/or areas with bigger resources which need to be loaded.

Neverwinter is CPU intensive video-game.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • Options
    rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    Thanks for the response and some hints - I will try to disable the shadows completely (if they are not yet) a meddle with the AA.

But, you know, I would say my framerate does not visibly change based on how the area is populated, just drops drastically in the moment of transfer from one area to another. (the fane of the night serpent is the only instance I remember when it happens "without loading screen". And the problem usually disappears when I reenter the place - the same instance, with the same population.

Anyway, it seems that noone else was hit by the same issue, so I guess it really is caused by choosing of setting incompatible with my hardware.