test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Not sure if ....

litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User
Recently, I have seen in game several people offering to sell items that are BtA/BtC. Since they can't sell them directly, the tactic is to party up, and let the person get the drop.

Of course, payment is expected up front. While I applaud the ingenuity of the human race, this could also end poorly.

Any thoughts?

MODS: No names named, but if this somehow crosses forum lines, please edit. Thanks!

Comments

• minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

It's not technically against the ToS, but it's a "buyer beware" type of situation. I am not sure what actions that Customer Service could take against something like this.

My own personal opinion - I wouldn't be willing to do something like this unless I knew and trusted the seller.

You do what another game I played did and fix it so you had to be in the party AT THE TIME OF THE DROP
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

kreatyve said:

It's not technically against the ToS, but it's a "buyer beware" type of situation. I am not sure what actions that Customer Service could take against something like this.

My own personal opinion - I wouldn't be willing to do something like this unless I knew and trusted the seller.

You do what another game I played did and fix it so you had to be in the party AT THE TIME OF THE DROP
    Yeah, that would be helpful, but that still doesn't always prevent people from scamming, which is the issue.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    There are a couple variants to this. Giving already dropped items to people who join the party afterwards is not entirely straightforward and definitely comes with risks.

One alternate approach that I've seen (and benefited from) that seems legit is the "hunt sherpa" approach. Someone essentially has a bunch of lures and is willing to let you tag along in order to get a specific drop. They use "leader decides" loot mechanic. When a desired item drops but before it's assigned, you can see it as a loot notification in the log. Once the item drops, you provide payment (either in full or some kind of before/after split). They award you the loot and then you part ways.

In my opinion, this approach is relatively "safer" than just taking people at their word because you see the loot drop notification in the log. The downside is that it's only reasonable for the more reliable gear drops (not +4/+5 rings for instance).
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    > @litaaers said:
    > Recently, I have seen in game several people offering to sell items that are BtA/BtC. Since they can't sell them directly, the tactic is to party up, and let the person get the drop.
    >
    > Of course, payment is expected up front. While I applaud the ingenuity of the human race, this could also end poorly.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > MODS: No names named, but if this somehow crosses forum lines, please edit. Thanks!

We have done this since chult.... honesty works.. they pay before drop, we assist until drop happens.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Online we are only as good as our word... if your word is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.. you are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> forever...
    (Edit) unless he has a scam handle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    or belongs to a guild you know is suspect, since your only real recourse is to try and resolve with their guild leader. I'm 100% confident cryptic support would not take action in one of these scenarios unless your a whale.
  • constantmule#4943 constantmule Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    a way to fix this is like we done it back in D1 and D2. and EQ sometimes..we all find people that are for sure trustworthy, and make them the mediator. and in return they get a bit of something out of the deal itself..win, win, win for all 3

we even had forums and websites set up for this. and those same sites did not have any qualms about posting a verified scammers char names, account, and anything/everything else you knew about them until they were hunted down, pestered, banned, or made things right. then they were removed from the mediators position and given the forum titles scum,cheat, scammer etc. and ip banned from time to time. knew a guy on d2 that it took him almost 4 years to get anyone to even party with him in game for drop stealing a few SOJ rings lol
  • asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer
    Hey all! I just wanted to hop in and clarify some speculation regarding "hunt sherpa'ing" and other variations of selling bound hunt drops and whether the behavior was unintended or—even worse—somehow a punishable action.

Worry not, selling the drops is completely legitimate, and we were aware that this behavior would emerge during initial design of the hunt system. I've stated before in other threads that hunts are meant to be a social feature, and that both the limitations on the system and the base functionality are intended to encourage various forms of socializing; slaying a hunt mark for a fee or selling bound drops on the spot included.

Of course, please proceed with caution as there is no way to guarantee a safe transaction. Use your judgment, and if you're not okay with potentially losing out on whatever payment you are putting forward, don't go forward with it.

For those interested: when approaching a feature like this, we could have allowed the drops to be sold directly. However, we wanted to strongly encourage players to run the hunts themselves, and prevent a situation where hunts were seen as an easy farming opportunity and quickly farmed until the value of all drops were reduced to their minimum. However, we still wanted to leave the door open to trading lures and trophies between friends, letting friends and guildmates have drops you don't need, as well as allowing for the formation of a bartering economy that will allow the items to maintain a higher value for longer.

Of course, hunts were a new, experimental feature when they were first released, and the expansion of hunts into Omu were already in development before the original hunts went live. For future features we'll obviously be taking into account feedback regarding how negative or positive an experience various parts of the hunt system were. So please continue to let us know what parts you did and did not enjoy!
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    i only rec0ommend doing those exchange with players that you have build a trust with otherwise dont fall for it.
  • litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User
    I will say that I was surprised at how much traffic is flowing through this 'barter economy' system. For people saying there are no rare hunt drops, I would say to take a look at Trade chat. There are lots of lower drops, and plenty of player made lures being sold back and forth.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    litaaers said:

I will say that I was surprised at how much traffic is flowing through this 'barter economy' system. For people saying there are no rare hunt drops, I would say to take a look at Trade chat. There are lots of lower drops, and plenty of player made lures being sold back and forth.

The problem is less no rare drps, and more lucky/unlucky accounts. I have only had 1 +5 ring drop ever, and that was Persense Vision... Yay! and by yay, I mean eww! This situation is bound to pop up when one player is running content hundreds of time without the desired result, and another player gets the item to drop regularly.
  • darkan#3756 darkan Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    i wondering if get a ring +5 was very hard get one now reduced chance drop rings +5 to minimun will be almost impossible get one +5
  • litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User
    Sorry, I cannot understand what you are saying (typing). Please elaborate?
  • darkan#3756 darkan Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    i hear either guildmates the drop rate trophies was increased last patch thats right ? but drop rate legendary rings from hunts was keep or reduced at mínimum probability (anyaway worse prob before maintenience) ?
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    only ues drops were increased, didnt heard of rings drops chance increased.
  • rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User

kreatyve said:

I'm not a "farm hunter" but i sometimes give some pieces to lower geared players in my guild for free... that way i wouldn't be allowed to gift i could bring them to every hunt but that would slow me down a lot...
  • reeper#9973 reeper Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    You want players to run hunts themselves, but how can they make the lures if Mod 12 wasn't fully completed? Now we have to trust other people to make the lures while they can scam us also. Forcing social interaction like this doesn't make sense. The Sheep now has to interact with the Wolves...
  • eselweihereselweiher Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 17 Arc User
    Its a question of trust/integrity - to be honest....never did such negative experiences but i can imagine how bad this feeling is if you got scammed. Same as in real life. For my part i have to say im selling the Hunt Items since Soshenstar and built reputation along with some guildmates like "Syn". We intended to "stay real" in our doings and wanted to satisfy our "customers" the whole time. You want those items? Pay pls! - You ve paid - we re thankfull and award you with the wanted items - easy as that lol....actually.. ;))

All WE wanted-->> treat people like you want to be treaten - if you dont accept/like the price - nvm then - your decision - respected!

You can find HAMSTER on every corner but you can find honest people on every corner too. Good luck to all of you

Debuffma Gandhi@eselweiher
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    I aquired both my manticore head, and eyestalk arms via this method, both with people I met in trade chat. I was a bit dubious, but since both parties benefit, the lure holder and the buyer, there is a reasonable basis for trust, and the buyer also has the power to trash the lure holder's reputaton in trade chat if he or she gets ripped off.

It's a lot easier than grinding a very expensive lure, and taking a chance on nothing.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

Of course, hunts were a new, experimental feature when they were first released, and the expansion of hunts into Omu were already in development before the original hunts went live. For future features we'll obviously be taking into account feedback regarding how negative or positive an experience various parts of the hunt system were. So please continue to let us know what parts you did and did not enjoy!

The biggest problem with the hunts is simply that most players get little enjoyment out of them, and just a tiny chance of the top-tier rewards, because the farming part takes so much time that the module will be "obsolete" before they even get to the highest tier hunt.

This is partly because the drop rate for the lowest-tier trophies is problematic. Some of them undead) seem to drop pretty regularly and reliably, but there seems to be general agreement that some others (scorpions in particular) have an unreasonably low drop rate.

Still, it is better than the Allosurus fang drop rate, which is practically an insult - 1% ?? And we need 24 of them? Get real....
    Hoping for improvements...