test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question about dialogue trees

I have a question about the Foundry dialogue options. While the NW Foundry is superior to the Star Trek Online Foundry there is one thing I haven’t been able to find out how to make work. In STO if you have dialogue with one character you can interject other characters in the conversation. Like say if you’re on a mission with a Vulcan and a Klingon you can speak to the Vulcan and the Klingon as well as your own bridge officers (companions) in the same dialogue tree.

Is that function part of NW and I just missed it, or is it impossible?

Also, why is the Neverwinter Foundry so much better than STO’s? Both games are F2P, but people subscribe to STO and I’d think that the brand name would pull in enough moolah to make enhancing the foundry there worth it. (I’m obviously wrong, but if STO could be edited in 3D mode it would make me really happy.)

Comments

• Options
    simplyshawnsimplyshawn Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    Lol! Love that bit at the end.

Sadly, to give the answer I know - I haven't been able to find a "real" way to do mutli-character dialogues. I've also noticed it rarely happens in the official content either.

I've faked though by just getting the two NPCs positioned right so that when the player talks to one of them, they both appear in the frame. Then I use the [OOC] tags to say the name of the speaking character for each line. It's worked out well for my story. But, it's really round-about haha, and I would think pretty limited. It would be awesome of the camera could actually switch between whichever NPC was currently speaking in the room.

But unless someone else knows a trick, that's the best trick I know of.
    "Just my thoughts I suppose."

[Work in Progress]
    "The Legacy of Shaylia,"
    NW-DITFP6QSI

• Options
    rancidmojo#7824 rancidmojo Member Posts: 29 Arc User

Lol! Love that bit at the end.

Sadly, to give the answer I know - I haven't been able to find a "real" way to do mutli-character dialogues. I've also noticed it rarely happens in the official content either.

I've faked though by just getting the two NPCs positioned right so that when the player talks to one of them, they both appear in the frame. Then I use the [OOC] tags to say the name of the speaking character for each line. It's worked out well for my story. But, it's really round-about haha, and I would think pretty limited. It would be awesome of the camera could actually switch between whichever NPC was currently speaking in the room.

But unless someone else knows a trick, that's the best trick I know of.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out. It's actually a clever idea!

I haven't noticed it in the official content either, but most of the NPCs dialogue boils down to "kill x amount of x".

• Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    Better than STO is a matter of opinion. STO has less down time than Neverwinter. If you are on Facebook my signature picture below takes you to the Foundry Author's group. We have a very professional group of authors. I started on STO and came here you can play my quest "The Dragon Hoard" and see how I made the dialog work for me. Basically you are speaking to one person and hear the others with the appropriate, Grel says, "How did you know that?" so we know who is speaking.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    You can add characters that you can interact with.. and add things they say...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    Yes you can add combat characters, non-combat characters, and characters that will attack enemies. They can all have dialog. They can give you a quest item (key, chest, etc.) and aid you in defeating the bad guys.
    wb-cenders.gif