test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Where do i start (Tanking in groups)

valesiavalesia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 67 Arc User
History

So up until this point we( the GF plays a hunter ) have done most our adventureing together a but started to talk about grouping.
For her thats easy DPS.. just kill stuff for me its a whole complicated mess of having the right skills and gear pets etc. Now lets start with i
dont care if i ever see the inside of TONG but i like to be able to tank a epic dungeon. I dont do baddly in skirmishes now but i think epics are a whole new level.

Where im at now: Finished Sharandar, Dreadring, Icewindale, Maze engine and underdark.

Working on Bynshandar and riverdistrict.

What i look like currently:

http://nwcalc.com/index.html#/op?b=3c2w:o0x2yf:9rkd:609l4,1cn3c41:1uu5551:1000000:1u0z000&h=0&p=oop&o=22
Item Level 11k *bearly with a pet summoned*
Current At wills Valorius Stike / Radiant Strike
Encounters: Relentless Avenger, Templars Wrath, Smite
Passives: Courage and Wisdom
Dailies Devine Judgment / Lay on hand ( the ohh sh*t button)

Questions:

1. Enchants: As far as im aware the genral rule is Off= Radiant / Def = Azure
2. Pets: Currently use Celeste because shes a great healer but whats good pet for a group tank ?
3. Encounters/dailies/auras/at wills: Since that has to be adaptable any advice here would be helpful. Im not a fan of a face roll rotation , dont even know if that would work.
4. Any advice on the more group friendly build would be helpful

Comments

• pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    I use the one here: https://forum.arcgames.com/neverwinter/discussion/1231686/pve-paladin-guide-by-greyjay1-slappdaniel-and-its-viraaal/p1

Works very well. I have had some hiccups in FBI on the climb since OP is hard to start cold. Templar's Wrath and Sacred Weapon all the way. Burning light for most trash. Circle of Power for the FBI climb and Bane for bosses. Always use Sheilding and Radiant Strike. Dailies, Divine Judgment and Shield of Faith.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • dairyzeusdairyzeus Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    The guide pitshade linked is IMO the gold standard of paladin guides and what you should be shooting for at end game.

So long as you can maintain your Templar's wrath temp hp you shouldn't have any problems tanking anything up to FBI.

I've started a brand new pally recently and at 9.5k IL I haven't had any issues doing dungeons that aren't FBI/MSPC/T9G.

Radiant strike into the fight, Templar's wrath, circle of power if you're using it, sacred weapon, divine call.

Guard the big hits/crowd control effects. Refresh Templar's whenever it comes up.

• ase#2329 ase Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    My first advice is Radiant as offensive and defensive enchants.
    As pet, get a sellsword or a con artist.
    Relentless avenger is the worst encounter for groups except during the climb up in FBI. People hate OP using it because it sends mobs flying all over the place.
  • aeragar47aeragar47 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    For "training runs" as a tank, I would queue direct for the following:

Start with ELOL (T1 dungeon) first to see how you feel. It's short and the scorpions (2nd bosses) will get you a feel for positioning.
    Next try ETOS (T2 dungeon) and see how that feels. (or just skip straight to here)
    Then do CN.

In all of these, even if you mess up, the team should be able to survive unless you end up with a bunch of new players. Also, as an added benefit, it will help any DPS/Healers who queue for random epic dungeons solo to avoid dropping into FBI or MSP since they will be placed in your group to fill it up so you MAY get higher level players that will make the runs easier on you. (of course, you may also get new players or low gear players that don't know what they are doing either... lol.)

Or get a guild group/channel group to go in with you and help you. This is probably best...
  • valesiavalesia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 67 Arc User
    So went with the guide and basically changed every gem i had to radiant ( few azures left in there to keep my def at 50%)

Now the pet thing. I have Celeste for solo / duo because with this build i dont have Templar wrath for backup hit points. But grouping i guess the question is why the sell sword or con artist ? I have Guenhwyvar whos pretty fast attacker not disagreeing more trying to figure out why one over the other ( and trying to save the days worth of AD farming on the upgrade)
  • valesiavalesia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 67 Arc User
    aeragar47 said:

For "training runs" as a tank, I would queue direct for the following:

Start with ELOL (T1 dungeon) first to see how you feel. It's short and the scorpions (2nd bosses) will get you a feel for positioning.
    Next try ETOS (T2 dungeon) and see how that feels. (or just skip straight to here)
    Then do CN.

In all of these, even if you mess up, the team should be able to survive unless you end up with a bunch of new players. Also, as an added benefit, it will help any DPS/Healers who queue for random epic dungeons solo to avoid dropping into FBI or MSP since they will be placed in your group to fill it up so you MAY get higher level players that will make the runs easier on you. (of course, you may also get new players or low gear players that don't know what they are doing either... lol.)

Or get a guild group/channel group to go in with you and help you. This is probably best...

This type of advice is very helpful as well! Thank you

I dont know that im ready to try fbi yet im still like 100 I points short of that one. But from what i have seen you cant really get a group unless your gear is to the level you dont actually need the instance in most cases.
  • sundance777sundance777 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    At 11K, if you are built moderately well, there are lots of good guides out there, you should be fine all the way through CN. Although the boss fight at the end of GWD can be hard and if you have prism slotted, you can likely do all of the dungeons up to CN without a DC, but they help.

Personally I like my defense a bit higher than 50% and Templar's is needed to have temp HP to absorb hits. FBI is sort of unique in that it does frost damage and you need a fair amount to combat some of the possible hits that involve frost.

sell sword or con artist have debuffs when they attack, the con artist is easier to gear up, but you can also do well with a llilend which has a nice healing bonus and is likely still cheap on the AH and easy to gear up as well. You won't likely need the debuffs until you start to run FBI and higher content although they help a bit on lower content as well.
    TR - Sun: 16000 IL
    OP - Sunshine: 16000 IL

Casual Dailies
  • bassmanj74#2822 bassmanj74 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Demogorgon can be a nice training experience too. In phase 1 while the rest of the party are closing portals, aggro Demogorgon and pull him to the side to keep him occupied. It helped me find a rhythm with different encounter powers and set ups. If it all goes horribly wrong then you can respawn and get back into combat quickly and it shouldn't result in a wipe.
  • marcm713#3446 marcm713 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    The demogorgon suggestion is a good one. You'll be dancing with Demo and no one will want to steal aggro from you as its not as fun as opening portals and killing beasties. The only challenge you'll face is when some ignorant DPS goes around opening every portal and you get swamped.