test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How the next mod will affect companions

adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
One of the QoL improvements in the upcoming "Lost City of Omu" is the ability to auto-switch mounts and active (non-summoned) companions when you switch loadouts.

Of course, you can switch companions manually today, but most people don't bother, because quite frankly, it is a bit of a hassle. That is about to change, and I suspect some people will now want to have different set of companions for their various loadouts.

This have more impact on some classes/builds than others - GWFs and TRs are probably least affected - they will probably continue to pick companions that increase their own DPS, no matter what. However, it's a different story for the support classes or people that can fill different roles in a group, depending on which loadout they pick.

For example, I am a DC. I have one loadout that is used for solo play, and there I may have have a typical "DPS" set of companions - Archons, Siege Master and maybe a Crit Severity companion. However, when I am in a group, my DPS is somewhat insignificant, compared to my ability to buff others - it may be better for me to pick for example a Rust Monster, Tamed Velociraptor as well as any other companion with a "group buff" active ability.

So, what about the rest of you - will you be using multiple sets of companions, and if so...which ones?
Hoping for improvements...

Comments

• Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    nvm. misread OP
    Post edited by pitshade on
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    It is a nice feature to have, but companion bondings become really expensive so it is pretty much a show stopper unless one can switch over bondings (and other runes) with the loadout as well.
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    Happy about the mounts feature, but as a dps my companions don't change between loadouts anyway. Maybe once in a blue moon.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    mullymoomoo#7130 mullymoomoo Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    From what I have seen it doesn't work well if you want to swap the summoned companion. If you change your summoned companion then All the companion gear drops into your bag space. If you swap back to the original summoned companion then I think you have to manually put all the gear back onto the companion.

The real benefit is for swapping your active companions quickly
  • Options
    edited January 2018

The real benefit is for swapping your active companions quickly

...which is why I said at the start "...to auto-switch mounts and active (non-summoned) companions"

Swapping summoned companions will send their gear to your inventory, and you cannot swap gear or swap insignia on mounts. However, what we will be getting is a big improvement over what we have right now.

Regarding the mounts, I will be auto-swapping between the Siegebreker griffon with Wanderer's bonus in solo play and a Bulette with Assassin's bonus for group play. For the companions I will swap as I mentioned in my original post above. I was just curious if others had similar plans.
    Post edited by adinosii on
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    Mine will change between pve and pvp.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User

It is a nice feature to have, but companion bondings become really expensive so it is pretty much a show stopper unless one can switch over bondings (and other runes) with the loadout as well.

I don't think he means summoned but active.

For instance, you may run with the Polar Bear cub as a DC for a healing loadout but when you run solo content you may use an Air Archon in its place.

• Options
    mushellkamushellka Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 357 Arc User
    The problem is that it does not have companions with an active buff / debuff bonus, The only ones I know are those you mentioned ... I'm MoF, I love this change in the game, but I cant find better companions for me.
    Better to feed the troll than listen to the idiot .
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    Ah, I may swap in a Bullette Pup on my Burnadin build (easier to get 1-shot), other than that I doubt it'll make a big difference. It's a decent enough feature though.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    foofighter592foofighter592 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    For TR this could be good if you switch load outs for mobs and bosses. Maybe swap in the batiri runt for bosses.
  • Options
    jumpingmorksjumpingmorks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    My main is a GF, for solo I'll run 1 set of companions, for group I'll runs a purely defensive set of companions. I'll also be changing mount powers, 4k power for solo, 4k defense for group.
  • Options
    Honestly I'm lazy and I hate grinding out stuff to get multiple sets of gear, enchantments, companions, etc...

It is why I typically run the same companions.

The only character I may use this update on is my GF. I am working on updating my conqueror build to be a full on DPS (got some decent hunt gear) and just updated the character companion gear so now my GF is full on DPS build ATM but still needs Orcus set. With this update, it would help my GF as I also need to update my companions: need the DPS trifecta to make my GF a viable DPS.

That is still a few months away though.
  • Options
    preechr#2215 preechr Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    Loadouts are great even though they will always suffer from the limitations of the enchantments and runestones that cost money to be reslotted, but that is an issue that affects only a few classes that benefit from having more than one viable dungeon build that requires vastly different specs to function

GF Conq vs GF Tact

DC DO vs DC AC

Are there more? I could put Healadin vs Tankadin on the list but DevOP isn't really a thing I think...

From what I've seen, the gear requirements for all other loadouts wouldn't really require a lot of hamstering around with enchants and runes
  • Options
    edited January 2018

GF Conq vs GF Tact

DC DO vs DC AC

I agree, those are the main ones. As I mentioned in the first post in this thread, some classes are affected more than others, and for me as a DC, I am very happy with this QoL improvement. Even GWFs (who are probably least affected) may find this useful - they may want to switch between a "boss" and a "trash" loadout, where different sets of companions and mounts might be suitable.
  • Options
    w00trandomsnoobiw00trandomsnoobi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 387 Arc User

Loadouts are great even though they will always suffer from the limitations of the enchantments and runestones that cost money to be reslotted

Of course the most obvious solution is to remove the cost of enchant unslotting :wink:
    miasmat said:

If your Bunny of Demon-slaying and your Slug of Sliminess can both equip a belt that you've gemmed up

Bunny companion confirmed! :p
  • Options
    miasmat said:

The line we tried to draw on what will now be remembered by the loadout with companions and such is "if it's free to swap, the loadout remembers it". So, we're not swapping enchants in gear or runestones in pets. But pet gear is free to equip/unequip, so it'll change with the loadout changing. If your Bunny of Demon-slaying and your Slug of Sliminess can both equip a belt that you've gemmed up, then it'll swap when they switch with the loadout since swapping gear is free. But you'll need 2 sets of runestones because that costs gold to unslot them.
    For the same reason, we didn't handle enchants slotted in your Sword of Stabbiness, but the sword itself will swap out with the loadout switch.
    It turns out, it's really complicated to keep track of a bajillion slotted gems and where they should go when you swap loadouts, so that's a project for a future day.

I like this thought and it would be much better if enchantments did not cost gold to move around and than we could completely swap companions, gear, etc... to me that would be the way to go.
  • Options
    heraldfayez#8520 heraldfayez Member Posts: 227 Arc User

miasmat said:

The line we tried to draw on what will now be remembered by the loadout with companions and such is "if it's free to swap, the loadout remembers it". So, we're not swapping enchants in gear or runestones in pets. But pet gear is free to equip/unequip, so it'll change with the loadout changing. If your Bunny of Demon-slaying and your Slug of Sliminess can both equip a belt that you've gemmed up, then it'll swap when they switch with the loadout since swapping gear is free. But you'll need 2 sets of runestones because that costs gold to unslot them.
    For the same reason, we didn't handle enchants slotted in your Sword of Stabbiness, but the sword itself will swap out with the loadout switch.
    It turns out, it's really complicated to keep track of a bajillion slotted gems and where they should go when you swap loadouts, so that's a project for a future day.

I like this thought and it would be much better if enchantments did not cost gold to move around and than we could completely swap companions, gear, etc... to me that would be the way to go.
    i think the gold currency should go out all together it's been there since start and it's not useful for anything there is many ways to acquire al ot of it other than army of leadership so yeah let's just remove gold and be done with it i mean ther eis no reason to lose gold when swapping enchants it's pointless
  • Options
    arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User

miasmat said:

i think the gold currency should go out all together it's been there since start and it's not useful for anything there is many ways to acquire al ot of it other than army of leadership so yeah let's just remove gold and be done with it i mean ther eis no reason to lose gold when swapping enchants it's pointless
    go to consume tab in ah, search healing, mark usable by me set 69-70 on the level, buy stacks of 99xhealing potions then sell it to a shopper and there is ur gold income solved.