test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can We Get an Option to Unhide Our Character Sheets?

trgluestickztrgluestickz Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
I've noticed for a while now that certain parts of your character sheet are hidden from other players. I find this feature to be annoying since it makes it harder to share my build with players who ask me about it. I know several people who have taken a stance against hiding their builds because they consider hidden builds to be bad for growth, me being one of them. It would be good for players who don't want their builds to be hidden to be able to turn the hide feature off. I don't know how easy of a request this is to make a reality but if Cryptic is looking for additional ways to improve UI, here is a good option.
--
PVP Rogue,
--[----- "Your friendly neighborhood spawn of Satan." -----]--
----------------------------------------------------------------
Main Character: Hurricane Marigolds (Rogue WK & Assassin)
Ingame Handle: trgluestickz
Discord Name: Hurricane🌀Marigolds#2563
Guilds: She Looked LVL 18 & Essence of Aggression
Alliances: Imperium & Order of the Silent Shroud
Platform: PC

Comments

• pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    On the surface I really like this idea, but I do have a minor concern with group content (namely, pugging). It could create an environment where some people demand to look at your full build (especially if you're less than BIS) and if you're not 100% the meta or cookie cutter, they might try to exclude you. It'd be easy enough to put them on ignore and move on though

That said, I do like this idea and would definitely use it.
  • trgluestickztrgluestickz Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    pterias said:

On the surface I really like this idea, but I do have a minor concern with group content (namely, pugging). It could create an environment where some people demand to look at your full build (especially if you're less than BIS) and if you're not 100% the meta or cookie cutter, they might try to exclude you. It'd be easy enough to put them on ignore and move on though

That will likely happen in a few locations but I doubt you are going to see that level of elitist sentiment become widespread. In general, NW seems to be pushing away from elitism rather than towards it. All of the zerg channels I have been in are a lot more chill than zerg channels were in the past and I see fewer openly elitist players than I used to. I hear fewer stories of people being excluded based on gear now too. That and you are right in that you can always just put these kind of people on ignore and go run with less snobby people.

I think the pros of this idea far outweigh this mild con.
    --
    PVP Rogue,
  • miasmatmiasmat Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 318 Cryptic Developer
    The general feeling around the dev team is that inspecting someone should show you as much as possible of the same info they see on their character sheet, but it ends up being trickier to do than it seems at first blush - the various parts of the character sheet come from a lot of very complicated places on your character container, and we trying to find a good performant trade-off between seeing everything and seeing nothing on other people. There is a task that's been on the software team for years that we keep down prioritizing to share more of the boys from other people's characters. Some day we'll get to it, or at least share more bits when inspecting other players.
  • carl#6379 carl Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    pterias said:

I think that this would actually be helpful in most cases. Namely the ridiculous IL demands for groups. If the IL req for a dungeon is 11k, people want you 14-15k+. It has always been about the build for me. Since people are nosey enough to check you out and then shun you based on that, it might help if they can see that if you're a tank, you could be a solid one. If DPS, they could see that you might hit hard enough to contribute. I think it's better than rellying on IL unless the powers that be have heard our cries to have those blocked.
    edited December 2017
    miasmat said:

The general feeling around the dev team is that inspecting someone should show you as much as possible of the same info they see on their character sheet, but it ends up being trickier to do than it seems at first blush - the various parts of the character sheet come from a lot of very complicated places on your character container, and we trying to find a good performant trade-off between seeing everything and seeing nothing on other people. There is a task that's been on the software team for years that we keep down prioritizing to share more of the boys from other people's characters. Some day we'll get to it, or at least share more bits when inspecting other players.

I didn't think this task would be this complicated. TY for commenting and I hope your team does find a way to make my proposal a reality. Ideally, I'd like the ability to 100% unhide all parts of my sheet including boons, mounts, companion list, feats, everything. Having an unhide feature wouldn't make much sense if it didn't work for your entire sheet.
    --
    PVP Rogue,
    edited December 2017

I kinda like my build being hidden.. I don't walk around showing my panties to the world...

@demonmonger, you do in fact walk around showing your panties to the world :lol:. Courtesy of the inspect bug that applies to everyone who isn't on the same map as you. You also show your undies whenever the screen takes a tad too long to load your apparel...
    --
    PVP Rogue,
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    > @trgluestickz said:
    > I kinda like my build being hidden.. I don't walk around showing my panties to the world...
    >
    > @demonmonger, you do in fact walk around showing your panties to the world :lol:. Courtesy of the inspect bug that applies to everyone who isn't on the same map as you. You also show your undies whenever the screen takes a tad too long to load your apparel...

"I thought that video was set to private"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

> @trgluestickz said:

> I kinda like my build being hidden.. I don't walk around showing my panties to the world...

>

> @demonmonger, you do in fact walk around showing your panties to the world :lol:. Courtesy of the inspect bug that applies to everyone who isn't on the same map as you. You also show your undies whenever the screen takes a tad too long to load your apparel...

"I thought that video was set to private"

It's the internet... there are privates everywhere!
  • halusbelcathrahalusbelcathra Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    What if there was a way to screenshot your character sheet tabs and link them in chat? I guess that is probably making it more complicated than it already is.
    edited December 2017

What if there was a way to screenshot your character sheet tabs and link them in chat? I guess that is probably making it more complicated than it already is.

That would be a neat feature to have built into the game but you are probably right in that could turn out complicated as well. The devs would have to figure out how to condense all pages of your sheet into 1 link or they would have to create a separate link for each section of your sheet. The 1 link may be hard to code and the separate links would be a little more tedious for a player to work with than simply having an unhide option of some kind you only have to click once. Unlike an unhide option, you would need to re-link your sheet every single time you wanted to show it to somebody or would have to store the links somewhere where people can see them and remember to update them whenever you change your build. It also would require anyone wanting to know something about your build to ask you for the link even if its just a small thing they want to know.

Being able to link pages of your sheet as an in game function is a mild improvement over putting screenshots up on Imgur or some other picture site and then linking them in game. If the devs are going to invest in a new UI feature, this one is a little underwhelming compared to an unhide option but its still better than nothing. It is currently possible to link other things like mounts, companions, powers, and items and that is pretty useful so it may still be worth adding character sheet pages to the list of things you can link if my idea turns out to be more difficult to implement.
    Post edited by trgluestickz on
    --
    PVP Rogue,
  • halusbelcathrahalusbelcathra Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Thanks for your input @trgluestickz. I think your idea is definitely an awesome one and hope there is a way to achieve it. Mine was a half thought and as I have zero exp with this I just wonder why the info from those other tabs can't be shown. Ok so the info is "collected" from different places.. I presume they are complicated because the sources are dynamic in nature? If that is right can we somehow have a "snapshot" of first instance of the info from login, like a cache, although it may add to load up times. No idea if this is even possible.

The corresponding character sheet tabs in both personal and inspection views could have clickable links at the top of the page that sends the info into chat although it would need to be formatted into tooltip style. Not sure if this is possible either as the tooltips would probably have to be generated on login because it can be changed when you respec. Sounds like a lot of work but I barely know how to turn my PC on so who knows lol

Just had another thought. If it turns out to be possible to "snapshot" the info perhaps we could save it in mailbox for later viewing.

Thanks for your input @trgluestickz. I think your idea is definitely an awesome one and hope there is a way to achieve it. Mine was a half thought and as I have zero exp with this I just wonder why the info from those other tabs can't be shown. Ok so the info is "collected" from different places.. I presume they are complicated because the sources are dynamic in nature? If that is right can we somehow have a "snapshot" of first instance of the info from login, like a cache, although it may add to load up times. No idea if this is even possible.

The corresponding character sheet tabs in both personal and inspection views could have clickable links at the top of the page that sends the info into chat although it would need to be formatted into tooltip style. Not sure if this is possible either as the tooltips would probably have to be generated on login because it can be changed when you respec. Sounds like a lot of work but I barely know how to turn my PC on so who knows lol

Just had another thought. If it turns out to be possible to "snapshot" the info perhaps we could save it in mailbox for later viewing.

I was thinking your idea would work similar to your second paragraph where there would be a button located at the top of each section of your sheet. Clicking this button would automatically copy your sheet. It may be possible to make it so the links update themselves automatically whenever you make a change to your sheet. Making the links update on login would be an odd way to design something like this.

I'm not exactly sure why adding character sheet pages to the list of linkable things in game would be difficult. I get the impression the original coding for this game is kind of a tangled mess and a lot of things weren't documented well from what I have heard the devs say. I am no coder though. Its already possible to preview gear and link various objects and powers so it may be easier than expected since the coding for similar tasks already exists.
    --
    PVP Rogue,
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    It used to be possible to see a toon's companions. Whatever happened to that?

It used to be possible to see a toon's companions. Whatever happened to that?

I'm not sure, you can still check a person's summoned companion via interaction menu but you can't see their other 4 equipped companions.
    --
    PVP Rogue,
  • llewelyn89llewelyn89 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 129 Arc User
    Maybe a console command would work - create and object that opens up a text type file with your details.
    Nice for you to have before making changes, you could post it to interested parties, but nobody else could check it in game to preserve your modesty.
    edited December 2017

Maybe a console command would work - create and object that opens up a text type file with your details.
    Nice for you to have before making changes, you could post it to interested parties, but nobody else could check it in game to preserve your modesty.

This would probably have to be a savable file similar to the kind that preserves your custom binds. It would likely be in a messier and more difficult to read format than a linked screenshot as well. It probably would not be linkable so you would have to get a person to download the file onto their computer in order for them to view it. On the upside, if its downloadable, it might be easier for a person to save for later viewing than an in game linked screenshot. Your idea would be a good way to quickly document builds you aren't actually using anymore. Which idea is better really depends on whether or not an in game linked screenshot can be stored for later use.

I'm not sure what you mean to imply when you say "to preserve your modesty" but it sounds like you are touting the fact that nobody could check your build in game under your idea as a plus. For my purposes, this is less of a plus and more of a con. I'm looking for an easy way to make my build publicly visible. Ideally, I want people to be able to access my build without needing to ask me for it.

I'm not sure which idea is better when comparing your idea with @halusbelcathra 's idea but both of them are slightly less useful for the issue I am trying to solve than my idea. They are good alternative options though.
    Post edited by trgluestickz on
    --
    PVP Rogue,
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    I remember you could view your character from sword coast website mini game...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

I'm not sure what you mean to imply when you say "to preserve your modesty" but it sounds like you are touting the fact that nobody could check your build in game under your idea as a plus.
    You can look at toons in their underwear.