test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Quick judgement

litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User
Was running the Hedetet hunt, and hit a spot where I mistimed a few dodges. I was down, but I have a few hundred Scrolls of Life, so no worries.

In comes someone, who kills the scorpion (no problem with that), and then lets me know I shouldn't solo it, if I can't handle it. I've run all of the one star hunts solo, but because I wasn't tearing through it like butter, they thought I needed advice. Which I wouldn't have minded, if they had taken the time to talk to me before playing SuperGWF.

Just my thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    I didn't respond at all (mostly because I was busy trying to avoid the T-Rex that was spawning nearby). I was mostly bothered that the person wasn't there for the preceding 3 kills or the 1 that I did after with no issues. Then I realized I should take my loot and leave, because pondering in the jungle can be hazardous.
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    When someone who isn't in your group puts 'advice' in such a way they are just polishing their own ego.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    It grates my nerves when people do stuff like that to me, but I always just grin and bear it. I assume they do mean well, even if I feel they are being a little bit of a hamster about it. It happens more on my alts, but I've had people gift me some cheaper "upgrade" items for my chars a couple times over the years, so it's not all bad.
  • Options
    dafrca#4810 dafrca Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    lantern22 said:

Yeah but sometimes ppl need help and pointers, i guess the key is to know when and how to deliver the advice.

It is almost always the way it is delivered that drives how I feel about any unsolicited advice offered. In or out of game.

• Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    litaaers said:

Was running the Hedetet hunt, and hit a spot where I mistimed a few dodges. I was down, but I have a few hundred Scrolls of Life, so no worries.

In comes someone, who kills the scorpion (no problem with that), and then lets me know I shouldn't solo it, if I can't handle it. I've run all of the one star hunts solo, but because I wasn't tearing through it like butter, they thought I needed advice. Which I wouldn't have minded, if they had taken the time to talk to me before playing SuperGWF.

Just my thoughts.

Smack him wit da ignore button.
  • Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    matthattr said:

Totally...kill them with kindness, it leaves them confused and nothing to complain about.

I had a former co-worker ask me once, why I didn't get mad or snap back at another co-worker that was always nasty to me and condesending. My response was, why should I let their nasty outlook on life dictate my behavior and outlook?

Besides, didn't they notice that that nasty person was bugging me less and less, that If they would watch, that person would seek to avoid me? After a few days they dd notice that and wondered why, I answered because they weren't getting from me what they truly wanted (confrontation and an affirmation of their negativity) what they got was setting their teeth on edge, cheerful positive responses (nothing they could report or complain to mngt about).

So kill them with kindness, slay them with poison kisses.

I prefer the clue-by four.
  • Options
    akanaroakanaro Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    It might just be that you got your ego bruised a bit by the unasked for help and advice. I mean it's not like he gave you any build advice or asked about your gear or anything. He simply saw a dead player and assumed (correctly) they died when soloing a hunt and then gave some general good advice to not solo content that could kill you. Most likely he figured you were new to Chult (plausible since you were a lonely corpse in the middle of the jungle) and tried to be nice.

In this case I'm more curious about why it bothers you than about why he did it. :pensive:
  • Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    If you don't want advice on how not to fail, then don't fail. The person's advice, if it was delivered respectfully, is 100% accurate.
    If it was delivered like some pompous arrogant jerk...then i can see your point.

Based on your thoughts - you should not give anyone advice ever, unless they ask for it. Which is ironic, since most of the time when you ask someone for advice in this game, you get ignored LOL.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

If you don't want advice on how not to fail, then don't fail. The person's advice, if it was delivered respectfully, is 100% accurate.
    If it was delivered like some pompous arrogant jerk...then i can see your point.

Based on your thoughts - you should not give anyone advice ever, unless they ask for it. Which is ironic, since most of the time when you ask someone for advice in this game, you get ignored LOL.

The quote is "Don't start it unless you can solo it!"
    My point is, if he had hung around 10 seconds longer, he would have seen the resurrection, and the 4th kill.
    I understand that people don't want lured hunts open and wandering around, but that wasn't (and wouldn't have been) the case.

@akanaro LOL to the ego comment.
    The only part that bothered me was the assumption of a lone person, based on about 5 secs of observation. Can any of us say that they haven't died unexpectedly in the past? I even planned for the occasion by bringing the right tools.

It went away pretty quick, but I happened to be on the forums at the time, and thought I would throw it out to the crowd.

@oldbaldyone If I ever ask for advice, I do it in the forums. People's playtime is valuable to them, and I would be hard pressed to bother them in game.

I never give playstyle advice in game. It's not my job.

• Options
    b4t1b4tb4t1b4t Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    Advice is Advice no matter how its said. There was times when I seen a low item level player playing a class I play but doing all the wrong stuff. I would send advice not to be rude or say they suck or anything of the nature but to shine light to why they was doing bad and help them to be better.
    Personally I my self have been given advice even though I know how to play my class I still look at their advice and test it out. To better my self. No one should get upset at advice given.
  • Options
    akanaroakanaro Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    litaaers said:

So why did you start it then? :wink:
  • Options
    b4t1b4t said:

Advice is Advice no matter how its said. There was times when I seen a low item level player playing a class I play but doing all the wrong stuff. I would send advice not to be rude or say they suck or anything of the nature but to shine light to why they was doing bad and help them to be better.
    Personally I my self have been given advice even though I know how to play my class I still look at their advice and test it out. To better my self. No one should get upset at advice given.

If they had said, "Need some help?", it would have been totally different.

• Options
    akanaro said:

litaaers said:

So why did you start it then? :wink:
    Did you miss the part about soloing it the other 4 times?

Not sure if tongue in cheek, or trolling..... ;)

• Options
    dafrca#4810 dafrca Member Posts: 469 Arc User

Which is ironic, since most of the time when you ask someone for advice in this game, you get ignored LOL.

Sadly this is true. About 75% of the time I have been ignored but the 25% of the time I have gotten some great help/input/suggestions. I get folks might not want to take the time so I am not mad when they ignore me, but it is great when they do take the time.

• Options
    dionchidionchi Member Posts: 919 Arc User
    I was running the Cloak Tower with a under 20 level GWF player (with no slotted gear) and periodically when that person ran into a mob they would run through them into another mob then hop around like they were trying to get away taking damage like crazy before myself (a DC) arrived to heal him, or the other party member stepped in to battle the mobs...

I'm usually reluctant to offer any advice because everyone's play style and preferences are different, but when it was done I suggested the player stand and fight instead of trying to get away because they were collecting more opponents and taking damage but not dealing any just trying to evade.

The GWF informed me: "one big battle instead of a lot of little ones"...

I responded with: "cool, my apologies", they replied: "np" and for the rest of the dungeon they pretty much held their own but I still tossed out some heals and buffs to help them along.

My speculation on their technique was undeniably off, but because we took time to communicate with each other it didn't appear anyone was offended or upset and as in most cases I believe communication was the key factor there.

One thing I do tend to often comment on when it happens to me, is when I'm fighting a mob (say during an area quest to defeat "x" number of bad guys) and another person repeatedly runs in and tries to hijack a battle I initiated...

That does tend to tick me off and I usually let them know about it, but I try not to do it in a nasty way, at least the first time, because they actually may not know (or haven't considered it)... you can't even presume that as a level 70 a player they should know better any more, since a new person can now buy in with a level 70 character and not have a clue about what I believe to be proper MMO player etiquette.
    DD~
  • Options
    mysteriasdrassamysteriasdrassa Member Posts: 299 Arc User
    I usually act all put out and disappointed and reply with.... "awe darn it... now I have to WALK back to the campfire" throws em for a huge loop and they don't know what to say