What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Companions still running off to engage enemies that I have not

2»

Comments

• Options
    preechr#2215 preechr Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    Cryptic intentionally increased the aggro range and leashes on mobs in Chult, and they also decreased the spacing between mobs specifically to make Chult a more dangerous area to travel in

During Bugtoberfest, developers discovered that there was a bug in how companions aggro against mobs, related to how deflect works with non combat powers in the game, and they said they tweaked it and hoped that it was fixed

I believe this bug was found while researching why a particular DC auto-heal class feature constantly procs, keeping DCs with it slotted constantly in battle, but they realized this deflect defect was something that was affecting many unintended functions in the game, including how pets tend to run off and pick fights

That's why I asked where people were experiencing the bug, in hopes of narrowing down the scope of the problem

Chult mob aggression is not a bug, according to the devs, and it really is a separate discussion

• Options
    c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    The Aggro of the Companion is not mutually exclusive from the Player's location.

The Chult is used as the best location for the bug occurrence examination due to ease of access to a variety of mob types out of which the Dinosaur mob types can be used as a reference point due to their intended heightened aggression. This alone would prove to be a good location for further testing since on the one side there are newly added dinosaur mob types, never before seen in-game, as well as a variety of mobs who're known from before and all fall unto the Beast mob types. The Tigers, Spiders, Lions, Bears, Thayans, Batiri will not portray this sort of a behavior even when you closely pass near them with a summoned companion while being on a mount. In fact it's perfectly manageable to move through the entire Batiri camp (Quest area) without triggering them at all. Done it several times myself, although when mounted and in movement there is no companion to affect or aggro the mobs and vice-versa. The same behavior can be experienced only in the Dungeon areas where mobs have a different set of actions and if possible will follow according to their aggro levels. The same can be said of the Dinosaur mobs. This can be recreated in Caverns of Karrundax.

The key point is that Dinosaur has heightened aggression which also affects the companion with much ease and is perfect for bug tracking due to the ease of bug reproduction without any fail both with the Augment as well as the Actively summoned companion that fights/has certain action etc.

This is absolutely not connected to any particular feat or spell at the Player's disposal since it will occur on a variety of classes and races equally and will happen regardless of whether the summoned companion has any deflection or not.

With a bit of deductive reasoning it's easy to note that the heightened aggression of the Dinosaur mobs also affects the heightened Companion's aggro levels as well as the heightened distance to which the companion will venture to in order to provoke/fight the mob spawns. As such it is a good place to start looking for the bug issue and I'm sure that it'll help the devs to localize the problem faster by comparing the difference between the aggression of the Dinosaur mobs as well as the regular mobs. If it happens at any other place specifically I've yet to find it out, but I've been playing since beta in 2013. and I never found similar behavior, anywhere else except in the dungeons.

One of the best areas to do this are the Tiger spawn across the 3-4 spider spawn nests at the very start of the Soshenstar River. Even when casually passing through if you have a summoned companion that fights, the Dinosaur mobs will come at you, sometimes with a delayed response up to 10-15 sec. There is also a sound signal when combat state starts.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language