test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The "Two DC" problem and what to do about it.

adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
edited September 2017 in Player Feedback (PC)
The developers have made it clear that they are not happy with the current practice of having two DCs in a 5-man party, and they will take steps to stop this.

Right now, two-DC parties are the rule, rather than the exception for ToNG, and somewhat common for mSP as well. Of course, the practice of "stacking" particular classes is not new - in particular not for whatever is the hardest content at any given time.

I remember when CN was the top-end content and people wanted to have 4 CWs in every party. In a way it was for the same reason, or rather, for the same two reasons.
  • First, people want to get through the content quickly. With a top-end group and two DCs you can finish ToNG in less than 30 minutes. With a less geared group (but still two DCs), you can finish it in an hour. With just a single DC, the time will be significantly longer - one to two hours, assuming you manage to finish at all. Why spend an hour or two running something with one DC when you can run it twice in the same time if you have two DCs?
  • Second, people want to be fairly certain they can complete the content. If you have low DPS, you will have problems with the first boss in ToNG. If the players have not killed the boss before the huge tempHP pool (of the player taking the middle curse) runs out, the group will most probably wipe. The fight basically requires massive DPS, which basically encourages using multiple buffers (and debuffers)
So, is this a problem?

Well, with many DCs tied up in 2-DC groups, you have the issue that they are obviously not available for other content at the same time. Also, with DCs taking two slots it may make it harder for some other classes to get into particular content.) In reality this isn't quite that bad, because the seal cap discourages people from currently running ToNG more than 8 times per week - once the DCs are finished with their ToNG runs, they should be "available" for other content).

So, should this be fixed?

Yes, but ... there is a right way and a wrong way to do that.

The wrong way is to implement/force a change that is perceived as taking something away from the players. For example, they could change things so that certain powers are mutually exclusive, or that buffs are x% less effective if there is a second member of the same class in the group. Without any other changes, this would force people to work longer for the same rewards, with a higher chance of failure.

This would be perceived as yet another nerf, and would be massively unpopular - that is something you really don't want coming right after the upcoming "random queue" fiasco.

No, what you must do is to fix this in a way that is perceived as giving people other equally good options.

I can think of a few approaches:.

Promote/Encourage "rainbow" parties.

Make it worthwhile for people to use parties of people from 5 different classes. My suggestion would be for a "rainbow bonus", which would be applied to the party in this case - a boost to outgoing damage or something else to compensate for the loss of the second buff/debuff DC.

Improve the buffing abilities of other classes

TRs are in particular need of some developer attention right now and you could kill two birds with one stone, by giving them some more buff/debuff abilities - DoTs that make the target to take increased damage from all sources, disorientation that reduces their damage and so on...there are multiple way to justify this. You can also improve the buffs/debuffs of SWs - and even the other classes.

Forget the whole 1 Tank, 1 Heal, 3 DPS approach

In reality, that's just not what people really want. You may see it as desirable, due to the fact that DPSers tend to outnumber the support classes, but the way things are, it is much more realistic to aim for
  • 1 primary DPS (typically GWF)
  • 1 primary buffer/debuffer (typically DC)
  • 1 primary tank (GF or "tankadin")
  • 2 secondary DPS/buffer/tank/healer - basically any class other than the "pure DPS" GWF)
As a side note, for those not familiar with the whole 2-DC stacking, here is how it typically works:
  • One DC runs an AC loadout. Uses Holy Fervor and Hastening light as passives, Annointed Army as daily, and possibly Exaltation as encounter
  • The other DC runs a DO loadout, Uses Terrifying insight as passive, Hallowed Ground as daily and Prophesy of Doom as encounter.
  • One DC uses Forgemaster's Flame, the other Break the Spirit.
  • One uses Divine glow, and depending on the needs/strength of the party, they may use Astral Shield and/or Bastion of Health.
..and yes, I'll give the developers one more argument for listening to those suggestions - according to their own forum software, I "post great stuff" ;)

Hoping for improvements...
Post edited by adinosii on

Comments

• Options
    fantasticmfantasticm Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Like most solutions that they come up with, it's short sighted and doesn't solve the problem in the long run and makes them spend time on needing to fix things this mod and next mod and the mod after.

A simple solution rather than meddling with powers all the time or forbid to run content the way you want came already from you and it's great. One other solution could be diminishing returns which could be easily raised or lowered if the next mod requires that. But well, who are we kidding, it's the same as with every idea the players bring forward, the boss as pwe just knows better all the time anyway. And that's why on console they will see the rest of then player base dwindle at the end of he year when other mmo's come out.
  • Options
    fogcrowfogcrow Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Imho the problem with that two DC meta is mostly in ppls heads. My fastest two DC Tomb of the nine Gods runs took 25 minutes. My fastest one DC run took 40 minutes(not many opportunities to try that since the two DC meta is so well established). Thats only 15 minutes difference, not 30 minutes+ like stated above.
    And that 40 minutes run only took so long, because I, as the DC, made two big mistakes:
    1. I used emopwered break the spirit, not knowing it was broken back then.
    2. I tried to double daily at bosses 2 and 3, well my DC is built with the goal to do that, but what I should have been doing was spam AA only to reliably protect my party from partial paralysys. Thats most likely the reason thouse 40min included one wipe at Ras Nsi.
    If I had not made thouse mistakes, the one DC run would have taken 33minutes or less...
    To answer the thread title question: nothing needs to be done about it, because the "problem" isn´t real.
  • Options
    preechr#2215 preechr Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

I was referring to nerfing the 2 DC meta, I apologize for the lack of clarity. We don't have any intent to nerf DC generally. I spoke about how in the long run we'd like to make damage dealers focus more on dealing damage, and healers more on healing and generally everyone less on buffing and rebuffing, so depending on your feelings, those adjustments could be seen as a nerf, but those are longer term goals.

Sounds like they would prefer forcing everyone to conform to their idea of how the game should be played rather than changing code to allow for buffing/debuffing roles
    CC and DoT builds have never really as "effective" as dps builds, but that doesn't mean they aren't more fun for some
    The quickness and totality with which CC was dealt free immunity in PvP shows the respect for that type of build, so I suspect that's the kind of blunt treatment we should expect for all builds that don't fit the pure dps, tank and healer roles
    *sigh*
    how boring...
  • Options
    feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    The real solution would be to stop designing content that is all but impossible even for experienced, highly geared players in what were traditional party lineups. The devs don't like players finding a way through the content? Then why are they designers at all? Stop making the RNG so hostile, stop making desirable drops so rare, and make it possible to get through the content the way we did in mods 2 and 3 when dungeon delves were easy to get into, not hard to succeed with, and this game was much more fun. That's the right way to go about it. The wrong way is to persist with this post-mod 6 power creep and always, always making the RNG the only real opponent in the game. Let's not get lost in the minutiae - the solution isn't accepting terrible design decisions and asking for tweaks. The solution is a return to the kind of game that players used to enjoy.
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    adinosii said:

The developers have made it clear that they are not happy with the current practice of having two DCs in a 5-man party, and they will take steps to stop this.

Right now, two-DC parties are the rule, rather than the exception for ToNG, and somewhat common for mSP as well. Of course, the practice of "stacking" particular classes is not new - in particular not for whatever is the hardest content at any given time.

I remember when CN was the top-end content and people wanted to have 4 CWs in every party. In a way it was for the same reason, or rather, for the same two reasons.

• First, people want to get through the content quickly. With a top-end group and two DCs you can finish ToNG in less than 30 minutes. With a less geared group (but still two DCs), you can finish it in an hour. With just a single DC, the time will be significantly longer - one to two hours, assuming you manage to finish at all. Why spend an hour or two running something with one DC when you can run it twice in the same time if you have two DCs?
    • Second, people want to be fairly certain they can complete the content. If you have low DPS, you will have problems with the first boss in ToNG. If the players have not killed the boss before the huge tempHP pool (of the player taking the middle curse) runs out, the group will most probably wipe. The fight basically requires massive DPS, which basically encourages using multiple buffers (and debuffers)
    So, is this a problem?

Well, with many DCs tied up in 2-DC groups, you have the issue that they are obviously not available for other content at the same time. Also, with DCs taking two slots it may make it harder for some other classes to get into particular content.) In reality this isn't quite that bad, because the seal cap discourages people from currently running ToNG more than 8 times per week - once the DCs are finished with their ToNG runs, they should be "available" for other content).

So, should this be fixed?

Yes, but ... there is a right way and a wrong way to do that.

The wrong way is to implement/force a change that is perceived as taking something away from the players. For example, they could change things so that certain powers are mutually exclusive, or that buffs are x% less effective if there is a second member of the same class in the group. Without any other changes, this would force people to work longer for the same rewards, with a higher chance of failure.

This would be perceived as yet another nerf, and would be massively unpopular - that is something you really don't want coming right after the upcoming "random queue" fiasco.

No, what you must do is to fix this in a way that is perceived as giving people other equally good options.

I can think of a few approaches:.

Promote/Encourage "rainbow" parties.

Make it worthwhile for people to use parties of people from 5 different classes. My suggestion would be for a "rainbow bonus", which would be applied to the party in this case - a boost to outgoing damage or something else to compensate for the loss of the second buff/debuff DC.

Improve the buffing abilities of other classes

TRs are in particular need of some developer attention right now and you could kill two birds with one stone, by giving them some more buff/debuff abilities - DoTs that make the target to take increased damage from all sources, disorientation that reduces their damage and so on...there are multiple way to justify this. You can also improve the buffs/debuffs of SWs - and even the other classes.

Forget the whole 1 Tank, 1 Heal, 3 DPS approach

In reality, that's just not what people really want. You may see it as desirable, due to the fact that DPSers tend to outnumber the support classes, but the way things are, it is much more realistic to aim for
    • 1 primary DPS (typically GWF)
    • 1 primary buffer/debuffer (typically DC)
    • 1 primary tank (GF or "tankadin")
    • 2 secondary DPS/buffer/tank/healer - basically any class other than the "pure DPS" GWF)
    As a side note, for those not familiar with the whole 2-DC stacking, here is how it typically works:
    • One DC runs an AC loadout. Uses Holy Fervor and Hastening light as passives, Annointed Army as daily, and possibly Exaltation as encounter
    • The other DC runs a DO loadout, Uses Terrifying insight as passive, Hallowed Ground as daily and Prophesy of Doom as encounter.
    • One DC uses Forgemaster's Flame, the other Break the Spirit.
    • One uses Divine glow, and depending on the needs/strength of the party, they may use Astral Shield and/or Bastion of Health.
    ..and yes, I'll give the developers one more argument for listening to those suggestions - according to their own forum software, I "post great stuff" ;)

You forgot weapon's of light the same feat applying from both dc and stack instead override?
    ON a paladin for example they cant stack their aura gifts. ofcourse that would make the same situation as the above so.....

• Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User

The real solution would be to stop designing content that is all but impossible even for experienced, highly geared players in what were traditional party lineups. The devs don't like players finding a way through the content? Then why are they designers at all? Stop making the RNG so hostile, stop making desirable drops so rare, and make it possible to get through the content the way we did in mods 2 and 3 when dungeon delves were easy to get into, not hard to succeed with, and this game was much more fun. That's the right way to go about it. The wrong way is to persist with this post-mod 6 power creep and always, always making the RNG the only real opponent in the game. Let's not get lost in the minutiae - the solution isn't accepting terrible design decisions and asking for tweaks. The solution is a return to the kind of game that players used to enjoy.

Pretty much this. I don't want to go back to a time when you could literally throw any 5 toons together and do any content. that was a little too casual.....but I would LOVE to get back to the casual friendly environment we had.

Pre Mod 6, you had to grind through dungeons to get your gear drops. Some people it took longer than others, but effort equaled reward. 10-15 runs and you almost certainly had your full gear set. You actually felt like you accomplished something.

Having to run things 1000 times is not fun. Its a cheap way to extend content and keep people playing (and it works, for a time).

The game needs to return to a more casual level of gameplay. Yes, the top 1% of the people in this game (which I am not, but might be up there a bit), that already have multiple toons filled out in full primal and can run TONG like a treadmill every 20 minutes will argue that the game is casual enough already. The people who are now attempting to solo FBI, 5 man Tiamat, Solo multiple Dragonflight dragons....these are the 1 percenters who will dominate any content you toss at them - even if every mob was an instant 1 shot. Don't build the game for them..it isnt going to work with the resources available.

What do I mean by casual? Say a new mod goes live every 3 months. A top tier hardcore player should be able to fully gear out 5-6 toons in that amount of time, with any of the drops they want. A casual player should be able to just about top out a single character in that amount of time.

/2 cents
  • Options
    arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    remenber that single ac dc was to overpowered due to aa give 50% of the dc power, now without that ac dc cant keep up alone in one 5man party for TONG, but any changes wont stop players from bringing 2nd dc to private queue, to get this to live server they either add a rule on private queue system that they can only use one dc or make the proposed changes @adinosii said, second dc is better option over sw(temptation, this path need huge boost to the feats to be a good second buff/debuff option)/cw mof/ tr debuff loadout/hr buff,debuff loadout, basicly giving penalties to player using this kind of party otherwise they will keep using same party.
  • Options
    arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    btw some different from the post noticed this past week while playing that some strong players from my friend list already have primal gear on main and huntsman on alts and some stopped playing others just log in for daily rad farm xD, i presume all content have been done on most important classes for end content dungeons(gwf/op/dc(ac/do)/CW(ss/Mof)/GF, sorry hr/sw/tr, this classes are important, cw get along because MOF is a good option, btw im no expert on game knowlege, just from my daily experience.
  • Options
    karvarekarvare Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    arcanjo86 said:

remenber that single ac dc was to overpowered due to aa give 50% of the dc power, now without that ac dc cant keep up alone in one 5man party for TONG, but any changes wont stop players from bringing 2nd dc to private queue, to get this to live server they either add a rule on private queue system that they can only use one dc or make the proposed changes @adinosii said, second dc is better option over sw(temptation, this path need huge boost to the feats to be a good second buff/debuff option)/cw mof/ tr debuff loadout/hr buff,debuff loadout, basicly giving penalties to player using this kind of party otherwise they will keep using same party.

Private queue will no longer provide AD for the run. Really, the "fix" for this is already on preview as a new random queue requirement for AD generation, and the party will only accept a 1 tank 3 dps 1 healer group. Just like current in game system we have just no control of where you go.

And really, you want to Punish people for playing the game the way they want? Really?
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    IMO the parties searching for 2 DCs aren't looking for the daily RAD bonus and won't switch to the public queue requirements on 12b. RAD farming parties doing ETOSx2 will be affected but not groups going anywhere that matters.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    arcanjo86 said:

btw some different from the post noticed this past week while playing that some strong players from my friend list already have primal gear on main and huntsman on alts and some stopped playing others just log in for daily rad farm xD, i presume all content have been done on most important classes for end content dungeons(gwf/op/dc(ac/do)/CW(ss/Mof)/GF, sorry hr/sw/tr, this classes are important, cw get along because MOF is a good option, btw im no expert on game knowlege, just from my daily experience.

In Mod12.5, due to the change of Bonding runestones, AC Powershare gets kicked in the teeth, making it so it's practically NEVER better than DO.

In 12.5, if you're building a BiS team, assuming you fillin the usual slots with Tankadin/DO DC/Deeps/GF, there is some basis in bringing along a HR who does good deeps and can keep-up up Longstriders instead of an AC...

• Options
    Introduce the Druid class.
  • Options
    Although I like the idea of having class relevant blocks like traps or enchanted doors, then you require groups to have a TR or CW or what not. It is the same effect, take when CN returned for example. The meta was to skip a tank and use a pet to tank with ranged dps and a heals.

People will look for and find the easiest way to do anything, and then they will do what is easy. There is no way to fix that short of a complete rebuild of humankind, no easy feat.

Now I do not condone doing things the easy cheesey way, I do not feel others should be punished in order for me to enjoy my game. To punish players for playing the game to have fun with their chosen friends is wrong IMOH.
  • Options
    chadd02chadd02 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    I don't see what the big deal is. I've ran groups with 2 GWF's and 2 OPs. It is what it is. Nerfing DC's to prevent them running 2 specs would only further decrease the DC population.
  • Options
    rjc9000 said:

arcanjo86 said:

In Mod12.5, due to the change of Bonding runestones, AC Powershare gets kicked in the teeth, making it so it's practically NEVER better than DO.

In 12.5, if you're building a BiS team, assuming you fillin the usual slots with Tankadin/DO DC/Deeps/GF, there is some basis in bringing along a HR who does good deeps and can keep-up up Longstriders instead of an AC...
    Especially after the bonding nerf and the astral shield nerf too go with that logic that we will chose do with the eyes closed like exaltation is a bad power for example ......... or all those mitigations from blessing battle-army and exaltation are bad too for end game to be more clear the " nerfed end game"

• Options
    safespacecadet#3341 safespacecadet Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    karvare said:

Although I like the idea of having class relevant blocks like traps or enchanted doors, then you require groups to have a TR or CW or what not. It is the same effect, take when CN returned for example. The meta was to skip a tank and use a pet to tank with ranged dps and a heals.

People will look for and find the easiest way to do anything, and then they will do what is easy. There is no way to fix that short of a complete rebuild of humankind, no easy feat.

Now I do not condone doing things the easy cheesey way, I do not feel others should be punished in order for me to enjoy my game. To punish players for playing the game to have fun with their chosen friends is wrong IMOH.

No, I I'm not saying you would need the class, I'm saying that it would make it easier and faster if you had the right class or classes. An easier and faster route through the dungeon that you can access with a rogue and/or wizard along for example.

D&D was never about always using brute force to survive and thrive on adventures or in dungeons or lairs.
  • Options
    Again I do like the idea it adds flavor to play. I was just pointing out that as soon as it happens then the class which synergizes best for any set dungeon will be what people will build groups around. It happens, that is how we work. It would be good to have reasons to have particular classes around for, I agree particularly the TR for extra chests that need to be picked.

The meta will evolve, it always has and always will. The fix for this really is, look to your guild and alliance. Look at your friends list, or start a group and go to the LFG channel.
  • Options
    karvare said:

Again I do like the idea it adds flavor to play. I was just pointing out that as soon as it happens then the class which synergizes best for any set dungeon will be what people will build groups around. It happens, that is how we work. It would be good to have reasons to have particular classes around for, I agree particularly the TR for extra chests that need to be picked.

The meta will evolve, it always has and always will. The fix for this really is, look to your guild and alliance. Look at your friends list, or start a group and go to the LFG channel.

Dev said want to make the meta whatever classes are to come close to a typical party.
    That means what we have now is something stronger than they wanted seems they want to reduce numbers like 30m+ intomitables or high ice knifes or high damage general.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    karvare said:

I do understand your point. Even in Random Queues, people might start kicking until they get the right class or classes to make completing the dungeon faster and easier. Even though it might not save that much time if they did that. However, what if not only the queues were Random, but some elements of the dungeon were Random? Like maybe sometimes the door is locked, sometimes it is enchanted. Or sometimes it is both enchanted and locked. What if the cliff is sometimes too slippery for the rogue to climb, magically warded, or covered with a poisonous fungus? A mage would then have to levitate up to the top of the cliff as the rogue could not safely climb it.

But how it would it make sense for some parts of a dungeon to be Random? I don't know. How does it make sense for us to run the same dungeon and kill the same mobs and bosses 500 times? It's an mmorpg, so some things don't always make absolute sense. But that doesn't mean that few things in a pencil & paper rpg can be done in an mmorpg. Actually, I believe most things that can be done in p&p rpgs can now be done in mmorpgs.

A lot of people didn't like persistent dungeons in Everquest and Everquest 2 because they were contested and people couldn't always run them when they wanted to. But instanced dungeons are not the only answer to this problem. Persistent dungeons could be transformed into Dynamic Persistent Dungeons. People could be automatically grouped into parties when more than five or six people are within or enter at the same time. If more than one full party is inside the persistent dungeon, the difficulty could increase. More mobs could spawn, mobs could respawn faster, more mini-bosses could spawn, and it could become possible to get more and better loot from the dungeon. If enough people were within or entered at the same time, the dungeon could transform into a full-scale raid. Persistent Raids could transform into Epic or Legendary or Mythic Raids depending on how many people showed up at once. (Or whatever you want to call them).
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Another thing. The whole trinity system of Tank, Healer, DPS was born when games like Everquest decided to make the whole experience mostly centered around combat. Rather than use a lot of class-specific non-combat and utility skills to make questing, dungeon delving, and raiding more interesting and complex. Why? Because it's easier to design, easier to program, easier to implement. Not because it's more fun. Requires less time and creativity on the part of the designers/developers is all. Same with deciding not to implement mobs with strengths and weaknesses. Not better, not more fun, not more challenging, just easier. Obviously, it makes no sense that someone can do more damage with a dagger or an arrow than a sword or a mace. Obviously, it makes no sense that fire elementals would take damage from fire magic or a weapon enchanted with fire magic. Obviously, it makes no sense that paladins and clerics (or other priest or hybrid priest classes) aren't more efficient at battling undead, demons, and devils than other classes.

Now, as far as implementing class-specific interactions and events in dungeons or wherever, there are a few ways to go about it:

1. Automatic success (kind of boring)
    2. Dice roll, percentage chance of success, RNG (Can be annoying if you fail, sure, but it works in P&P games, so it can work just as easily in mmorpgs)
    3. Succeeding in the interaction requires successful completion of a mini-game. The player-character could have 1-3 chances or be able to try until he or she succeeds, depending on the situation or particular interaction.

One or all of those methods could be used in different times and at different places.

EDIT: Of course, if a door is not enchanted or otherwise magically sealed, there's no reason a fighter or another character with high strength shouldn't be allowed to try to break down the door (if a rogue is not available). However, this would make a lot of noise and most likely draw the attention of mobs within the lair, dungeon, or raid. In other words, that's probably going to make trouble for the party, as in more battles to fight. Also, why can't there be more than one way to complete a quest depending on which class or classes are doing it? If the quest involves obtaining some valuable item from a mob, why can't a rogue simply sneak in and steal it rather than being forced to kill whoever or whomever is guarding the item? Or why shouldn't a rogue have a chance to pickpocket a key from a sleeping guard in some situations? Why couldn't a wizard cast a sleep spell on the guard or guards instead of being forced to kill them all? And, if the quest was being done with a partner or in a group, couldn't another person or persons distract the guard/s or otherwise lead them away while another person in the party steals the item? There is no reason why most quests need to involve killing or destroying every sentient or non-sentient obstacle in the way.
    Post edited by safespacecadet#3341 on
  • Options
    araneaxaraneax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 639 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    I would think, the problem of 2 DC's meta is going to easily be fixed with the bonding nerf and AS nerf .
    So AC DC will probably be switched with CW or HR. Problem solved. There will be no more AC / DO DC meta, plus AC people will probably switch to DO.
    One would think additional nerfs will not be needed , right ? Unless the new class will be a buffer. In that case DC will probably be scaled* down... so the new class will have an edge.
    d7d81448-df6b-48cf-94a0-cf1ba87d861a_zpsish6zr2v.jpg

• Options
    callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

Another thing. The whole trinity system of Tank, Healer, DPS was born when games like Everquest decided to make the whole experience mostly centered around combat. Rather than use a lot of class-specific non-combat and utility skills to make questing, dungeon delving, and raiding more interesting and complex. Why? Because it's easier to design, easier to program, easier to implement. Not because it's more fun. Requires less time and creativity on the part of the designers/developers is all. Same with deciding not to implement mobs with strengths and weaknesses. Not better, not more fun, not more challenging, just easier. Obviously, it makes no sense that someone can do more damage with a dagger or an arrow than a sword or a mace. Obviously, it makes no sense that fire elementals would take damage from fire magic or a weapon enchanted with fire magic. Obviously, it makes no sense that paladins and clerics (or other priest or hybrid priest classes) aren't more efficient at battling undead, demons, and devils than other classes.

Now, as far as implementing class-specific interactions and events in dungeons or wherever, there are a few ways to go about it:

1. Automatic success (kind of boring)
    2. Dice roll, percentage chance of success, RNG (Can be annoying if you fail, sure, but it works in P&P games, so it can work just as easily in mmorpgs)
    3. Succeeding in the interaction requires successful completion of a mini-game. The player-character could have 1-3 chances or be able to try until he or she succeeds, depending on the situation or particular interaction.

One or all of those methods could be used in different times and at different places.

EDIT: Of course, if a door is not enchanted or otherwise magically sealed, there's no reason a fighter or another character with high strength shouldn't be allowed to try to break down the door (if a rogue is not available). However, this would make a lot of noise and most likely draw the attention of mobs within the lair, dungeon, or raid. In other words, that's probably going to make trouble for the party, as in more battles to fight. Also, why can't there be more than one way to complete a quest depending on which class or classes are doing it? If the quest involves obtaining some valuable item from a mob, why can't a rogue simply sneak in and steal it rather than being forced to kill whoever or whomever is guarding the item? Or why shouldn't a rogue have a chance to pickpocket a key from a sleeping guard in some situations? Why couldn't a wizard cast a sleep spell on the guard or guards instead of being forced to kill them all? And, if the quest was being done with a partner or in a group, couldn't another person or persons distract the guard/s or otherwise lead them away while another person in the party steals the item? There is no reason why most quests need to involve killing or destroying every sentient or non-sentient obstacle in the way.

I love this post. Especially the bit about using a Sleep Spell!

And yes now it makes sense! make the content interesting and make character classes useful. SO for example if your party is too underpowered to take down a whole room of critters, then why not give a different route to the end point? Let a thief sneak through and release a gas bag or something!
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    @callumf#9018 - You could even have different paths through a dungeon that lead to more challenging, optional areas and the possibility of getting better loot. The same dungeon could offer different levels of challenge and reward. Maybe this would make the 15k-17ks who want more challenge happy?

EDIT: Also, spells don't always work in tabletop D&D. Player Characters, Non-Player Characters, and Monsters have something called Saving Throws. In 2nd Edition Advanced Dragons & Dragons they were:

Saving Throw vs
    1) Paralyzation, Poison, or Death Magic
    2) Rod, Staff, or Wand
    3) Petrification or Polymorph
    4) Breath Weapon
    5) Spell

Saving Throw types and how they work have changed in later editions, but that's how they were when I played.

I don't know if it's too many calculations for personal computers these days, but I don't think it would be in a dungeon with five people. If Saving Throws were used, perhaps Dungeon Bosses wouldn't need to be immune to all control powers. Also, I'm not sure I understand why all Bosses need to be giants. In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with not being able to hit something or aim properly because another player character or npc is in the way. We do have pretty good mobility in this game, so it's not hard to get into a position where we can see and hit the target. Another way to increase to difficulty is to allow for friendly fire. Spells, arrows, and weapons are capable of hitting your own party members in tabletop D&D. Though this should go both ways. Mobs and npcs should be able to hit each other as well.

One more thing. Experience can be gained from any activity it is programmed to be gained from. Killing really only makes a person better at killing. Using combat skills makes someone better at using combat skills. It's only because mmorpgs have largely ignored non-combat and utility skills for so long that some people have the idea that leveling should mainly be accomplished by killing and quests that involve killing. Though, of course, we do have many quests to go gather this or that object. Not sure how that makes us better at anything other than doing what we're told, but I don't design these games. Sure, if you're forced to murder anything that gets in your way, it can help you get better at that, I suppose. But there are a lot of other non-combat skills classes could use in the process of obtaining an item or items. Or in performing any number of tasks that might be required while questing or dungeon delving.

Post edited by safespacecadet#3341 on
  • Options
    bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    I read this post a few days ago and decided to really think about it before I responded. Obviously the double DC meta that the devs are upset about affects me, as a player that also mains a DC.

I've played this game pretty consistently since the beginning and ran every dungeon there ever was multiple times with multiple people. As long as there has been dungeons that had loot that people really wanted and a difficulty of it to obtain there have been double DC parties. Back in old CN, before the game was so overpowered that DCs weren't needed there were double DC parties. The fact that double DC parties is a meta right now is what I believe a healthy sign for the game and it's content. People aren't able to cheese their way through it too easily and they want to run it and do so successfully. Once enough people get geared better and are more confident about the content the double DC meta will probably die down. This content is fresh and is often difficult for even experienced parties. The only time in recent memory when Double DCs weren't really thing is when no one needed a DC for anything in mod 5 because they could just kill everything and lifesteal was King and mod 7-8 until the Permabubble nerf in mod 9 because one DC could help the paladin keep the bubble up and no one took any damage anyway.

In an effort to better understand what the devs want in their content and to also help out my friends who often run their alt DCs through TONG yesterday I offered to run solo DC on almost all our runs which I did for around 6-8 hours with a solo tank. The "Tradtional" party that the devs think we should have. There are some gripes I have and I will freely admit that I'm not completely BiS, but I'm a 15.3k IL DC but our runs averaged around 40 mins with a Master of Flame cw or Scourge Warlock, Storm Spell CW and a Great Weapon fighter who wasn't even above 14k. Squishier DPS had more of an issue since I'm not a healer, I'm just a righteous DC that uses some healing spells sometimes like most of the end game DCs.

So Devs- You want me to run solo dc? These are the things that I feel need to be looked at.

-Tomb of the nine gods is the only dungeon that I feel significantly benefits from double dc mostly because of the extra armor pen needed to damage everything and the crazy amount of more than 32 integers worth of health the dungeon has. Solo DCing anything else isn't really too much of an issue. Time will tell how that changes when bondings are adjusted.

Tomb has some really crazy mechanics that seriously inhibit the ability for me to do my job without some frustration. DCs are an extremely active class with many actions per second to buff/debuff and keep up stacks of empowerment in a rotation to have the best effectiveness.

This 'Partial Paralysis' stuff in the Ras'ni fight might need to be toned down. This is literally the only time I had an issue vs a double DC party. I was stunned almost 90% of the fight, trying to do these actions per second being stunned every few seconds is a cheap trick. No matter how good I could do or what I tried I still got partial paralysis and could not get rid of it. If someone reading this has the down low for how to not get partial partial paralysis with a Single DC/Single Tank party please educate me. My buffs and debuffs would fall off and could not be applied. I couldn't heal/buff people, I couldn't res anyone without clicking on their corpse like 10 times. Just call it paralysis if that's what it is because the partial in the name is just trolling me. We had a problem not because I was a solo DC, but because I couldn't really do much of anything so I was like 1/2 a DC. I did though, I finished the fight and kept pushing every button multiple times before it would fire off. We finished the dungeons. With two DCs that might get partial paralysis we have like 1 whole DC.

I never really bothered building for control resist or anything but the primary attribute for a DC is wisdom and that's supposed to affect control resist. Is this working as intended devs? Before you nerf the game and my class please check out why even with 20% control resist I'm not able to anything with partial paralysis. Does Control Resist even do anything in this game?

I'm well aware, I might just be a terrible DC because I end up with partial paralysis and it's my own fault.. but just in case there is a chance that something could be fixed I hope this gets looked at. Anything else doesn't really cause much of an issue, even with the heavy damage that can be taken at the second boss in Tong.

Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.

• Options
    @bitt3rnightmar3 - Yeah, sounds like I would bring 2 DCs to TONG. Actually, I would bring 2 of everything, but the supervisors won't let more than five people into the ride at a time.
  • Options
    superent666superent666 Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    Solution one (Promote/encourage rainbow parties) I don´t like...clunky and counter-intuitive.
    Solution two is ok (improve buffing abilities of other classes) but the dev said they want to tone down on the whole buffery so...they might not want to invest in that and have players invest in that if they plan to make these changes in the long run.

And well, I seem to remember the dev said they don´t mean to end the 2 dc meta by either making one path unviable or nerfing both into the ground so that leaves only toning down (not erasing completely) the synergies between them so that each kind of dc is a powerful buff/debuff to any group, but the potential added by a second dc is inferior (if only slightly) to the one that can be added by taking a different class.
    To do this elegantly this would require quite some work - would be neat to use the opportunity to set both paths more apart and make both equally fun to play thus creating some actual variety.
    But how likely is it? It all seems so random to me...the whole bondings change (even worse at the beginning with 50% uptime) with the heavy nerf and then the snapshot thing every 30s...I have no time (and no inclination) to test this on preview but I would be interested to know how this will work with power-sharing? And why did they do this? Is it a bug or is there some thought behind this? Maybe they have a good plan and it all makes sense somehow?

If there was no thought behind this and it is going to happen anyways DO will be the way to go then for all? At least for the time being...That is kinda sad since I think AC is more fun to play...but on the upside...if I play a more or less full-time DO my toon even at his puny below 14k IL is more or less done - not much incentive to improve further. Have HG up all the time, slot TI, apply (de-)buffs that do not depend on my stats (not much reason to fuss about power for the tiny and nerfed 10% share), the dps addition that could be achieved by gearing up further would not be significant enough in content like tong to make it worthwhile (for me) so...
    I could concentrate on grooming my cw...very versatile and seemingly in no immediate danger of getting dev attention.

What bugs me though is that (to me) this all seems so random and chaotic. If they have some positive vision of where they want the game to go I think it would be a good idea to share it with players in a comprehensive way. To quench frustration and whining and wow, even maybe giving cause to some pleasant anticipation:P