test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Summer event: unable to pick up flax flowers

nimaerdnimaerd Member Posts: 6 Arc User
As the title says, I have been unable to pick up flax flowers for the last 36 hours or so. It worked on day one of the event, but ever since then when I try doing the daily quest I can pick the flowers over and over (they respawn almost immediately) but there is never any item picked up.

Zone chat recommends switching instances, I have switched instances countless times. This affects all my characters, switching characters also doesn't help

Comments

• litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User
    Don't you have to pick up one specific flower first, then the others can be picked from anywhere? Check your map for a quest diamond. I had the same issue until I wandered over near the ball field, and there was one Flax plant marked with a quest marker. After that, I was good.
  • samaka#2511 samaka Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    Yes, you HAVE to pick up one specific flax flower... the one by itself by the tree near the ticket vendor.

Before you pick that specific flower all other flax flowers will glow like you can pick them up, but you do not get credit for it.

@samaka#2511
  • mysteriasdrassamysteriasdrassa Member Posts: 299 Arc User
    Yep.. concur
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    I've been having the same problem but it is affecting the corn in the feast event as well.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
    Not all sparkly corn will yield corn when you pick it.. if I remember right this was done a few festivals back to prevent people from standing in one place and just farming (no pun intended) a few stalks
    After some testing while farming flowers, the issue does seem to be tied to the instance. All flowers work correctly on the first time but some will bug on the second time (may bug on third, not sure). The same flowers, once bugged will continue to bug every time and ones that work will continue working. Changing instances will reset all flowers but the bug will recur, though perhaps in different spots.

I haven't tested the corn as much, but it seems to work the same. If this is intended, it is a terrible decision because it makes corn picking unviable. Nothing prevents someone from farming the ones that don't have this effect, but that is not a winning strat for the contest. What it does is cut the number of corn spots down significantly as once it triggers, the spot never recovers. Frankly all of this seems to be a bug.
  • rowin4010rowin4010 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 64 Arc User
    pitshade said:

If this is intended...

If this is intended, then it is something new, as I have -never- had any trouble farming Fireblossom Flowers in previous years (and I've been playing since before this event was put into the game). I'm not having any trouble collecting the Flax Flowers, though, and I can collect all ten flowers from one patch.
    "I have never considered it polite to comment upon the ravings of the insane, nor profitable to engage in arguments with lunatics." - King Avallach (Taliesin - Stephen Lawhead)
  • qlcakenqlcaken Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I have the same issue, quest say collect flax flowers, but normaly should also shown count (5 if first time, then 10) but now quest doesn1t show how many i should collect and i can collect even 100 and nothing, quest still is as uncompleted, if this matters i start this quest after 3days when event start, my friend who started in first day doesnt have this problem. p.s change instances, drop quest and get it again from npc etc etc nothing work
  • samaka#2511 samaka Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    Far as I can tell the issue with FLAX flowers, not Fireblossom flowers, is the exact same as last year.

The first quest you get where you have to BOTH play in a Sahha match AND collect Flax Flowers requires you to pick one SPECIFIC flax flower, even though all flax flowers glow only one flax flower in particular MUST be picked FIRST.

This "special" flax flower is the one beside the little tree just by the Sahaa ticket redemption vendor. Once this "special" flax flower has been picked all other flax flowers will properly become pickable to get the remaining 4 flowers for the first quest and then the 10 required for each subsequent daily quest.

It seems each instance has a different respawn timer on the flax flowers, in some you can simply get all 10 flowers by picking the same spawn over and over, in other instances you need to run around. Other than the issue with needing to pick a very specific flax flower for one specific quest I have not personally encountered any issues with picking flax flowers, either this year or last.
    @samaka#2511
    Ok, I see that I was confused about flax vs. fireblossom. My post was entirely relating to fireblossom flowers. I participated in the event in the first 2 years and have never had an issue farming those flowers to trade in for petal bags before. Same with the corn. It was a viable way to compete in that event in the first two years.
  • cerberusxllcerberusxll Member Posts: 387 Arc User
    pitshade said:

I've been having the same problem but it is affecting the corn in the feast event as well.

same here

Not all sparkly corn will yield corn when you pick it.. if I remember right this was done a few festivals back to prevent people from standing in one place and just farming (no pun intended) a few stalks

that's understandable, but when corn stops dropping altogether after picking so many, that's a problem.

I got to 51 pieces of corn, and after that, I couldn't pick up anymore. I tried dropping off all the corn I had, and it still didn't help.

Cerberus | Scylla | Orion | Makelo | Nemesis | Ares | Artemis | Asclepius | Nyx | Hades | Dexithea | Dolos | Demonax | Athena | Enyo | Medusa | Talos | Alcyone
  • rowin4010rowin4010 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 64 Arc User
    After some unscientific experimentation (read: observing what happens while playing, but not -trying- to do anything specific), I think I see what could be happening with the flowers.

With the Flax Flowers: If there are a large number of people picking these flowers, then the individual sites will respawn quickly, and little or no running around is necessary. If there are very few people picking flowers, the respawn time is greatly increased, and you -willl- need to run around to different sites to collect all 10 flowers.

With the Fireblossom Flowers: If there are a large number (~75% server instance or higher) on a specific instance, the flowers will start to give difficulties, among them being not giving anything when the site is cleared to not 'sparkling' to show the site is ready for harvesting. (This is typically after you have cleared a specific site at least once.) The cure here seems to be to jump to an instance with fewer players (if nothing else, this will 'reset' the flower sites). If you are lucky and can jump to an instance with little or no players (I have seen instances with a population of zero...), then not only will the sites 'reset', but the chance of problems happening seems to drop to "not jolly likely".
    "I have never considered it polite to comment upon the ravings of the insane, nor profitable to engage in arguments with lunatics." - King Avallach (Taliesin - Stephen Lawhead)
    I may give that a try but as of last night, it was so bad that killing the kobolds yielded more flowers than the plants. As I went through alts, I did the minimum 12 and stopped. Hopefully the server reset will give some relief for a few days. With Mod 12 coming before the end of the festival, it seems unlikely a fix will happen this year.
    As an aside to the topic... @pitshade. Gods yor avatar pic scares the HAMSTER out of me.. reminds me of something outa Marble Hornets.. lol