test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can we make decal objects conform to terrian?

simplyshawnsimplyshawn Member Posts: 103 Arc User
edited June 2017 in The Foundry
First off - I am SO excited that the foundry is back online! Please do not get this post wrong - I'm ecstatic and have spent hours playing with the toolset. It takes me back to the NWN days, and I love it! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've missed this creative outlet for years!!!

However, I am confused about one thing: there is a special filter for "decals," yet... they seem to just be flat/two-poly geometry... Call me crazy if I'm off base, but I fully expected "decals" to be a projection map that would conform to whatever they were cast on. Yet... that isn't what is happening. Have I done something wrong?

I'm totally new to the NWO foundry, so if I'm ignorant of something please point it out, because I am loving this thing, seriously. But... I do want paths in this village I'm building, and I'm not sure what the best way to get them would be. Any advice welcome. Thank you!!!

And also - Thank you to the Devs for bringing the foundry back online!!!

(Also I did search for this on these forums but I didn't find any answers... it actually seems like decals should work how I expected them to.)
"Just my thoughts I suppose."

[Work in Progress]
"The Legacy of Shaylia,"
NW-DITFP6QSI

Post edited by simplyshawn on

Comments

• Options
    valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    No, is what it is. You need to "fix" the decal over the terrain with the "gizmo" in 3D mode (EDIT mode), yeah it's not easy. You can always hide the "glitches" adding brush or rocks or any other asset.

imgur.com/a/8fCH0

Post edited by valcontar73 on
    NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.
  • Options
    Ok, thank you for the answer :)

[Work in Progress]
    "The Legacy of Shaylia,"
    NW-DITFP6QSI

• Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    I don't think even Cryptic can make them follow the terrain. In the Siege of Neverwinter event, the decals on the ground near the middle barricade (right where the land starts to drop down into the valley) float above the ground.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Lol I've noticed that too! Even some of the prefab outdoor maps have floating pebbles. I've noticed there are different things called "projectors," rather than "decals," but they don't seem to appear at all for me.

I ended up just using "Road Stone 02." Not exactly the rustic, small town look I originally wanted, but it forced me to make the whole village look more elaborate too so these paths would fit lol.

They work well accept they don't do circles very easily

But overall I'm happy with the end result.

Now if only my merchants could be actual merchants :tongue:

[Work in Progress]
    "The Legacy of Shaylia,"
    NW-DITFP6QSI

• Options
    torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    what you want is called a 'PROJECTOR' in the assets list.

Best of luck with them, they can be very very buggy. =D
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.