test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Valhalla set VS Company gear set

odinguard#3346 odinguard Member Posts: 29 Arc User
Set bonus on Valhalla is BIS but what about the stats on Company gear. Looking forward to this discussion.

Comments

• boromir#3940 boromir Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    I thought of asking this question too. I'm coming from the perspective of utilizing both the Valhalla set and the lostmauth set, with which I use both. But I'll include my opinions about the Orcus set as well.

From the angle of the Orcus set vs Lostmauth set, I've kept the lost set for the included armor pen. 530 per neck and waist, and then 1k from the lost horn. 2060 in total. You lose just over 2k armor pen with the Orcus set, and therefore need to make up for it with 2 particular boons and 2 mythic artifact that have armor pen. The boons I speak of have alternatives of 400 defense and 400 deflection, respectively. Another 2% resistance ignored is lost when trading 2 DEX for 2CON. So if you don't have a legendary summoned striker companion with some decent CHA and dominance insignias....things could get tricky with the Orcus set. When mod 12 hits console I'll be curious as to how the Orcus set bearers go about getting another 15% resistance ignored. I've been told mod 12 cap on monsters is 75%.

So..... I saw a neck and waste from the company gear that intrigued me. Forget the names, probably raid. Firstly, the lost set bonus is meh. So losing that bonus doesn't hurt that much. The two pieces I'm thinking of have 2STR/CHA and the other 2STR/INT. They both have 530 power and armor pen but one has 530 crit and the other 530 recovery. In the end I'd lose the crit but gain recovery. I'd lose 2 DEX but gain 2 STR/CHA/INT. That would put me at 29 STR, 22 CHA and 16 INT per my roll. Also, a set bonus of 500 power comes with any neck and waste company gear combo. So that's a nice boost to recharge speed at the expense of a little crit. A gain in power and most importantly a boost in the 2 attributes I stack.....STR and CHA.

Now I just compared the lost set and dabbled in the faultiness of the Orcus set by way of the armor pen loss. Orcus set maxes out at 20% which is awesome, but it's not up full time. With 2 more attribute points into STR and CHA I'd have a flat 4% increase in damage output. And let us not forget the added stamina and aoe resist that comes from STR. Plus the increase to my legendary Con Artist's stats, which is minimal but it still exists. Not too shabby.

The only thing stopping me is any cool neck, waste and artifact combos the pc guys might be seeing in mod 12. Or a future set with a great bonus that trumps even Orcus.

I've written enough, so I won't dabble with the Valhalla set comparison. I don't see anything trumping the tankiness that the Valhalla set brings vs any of the company gear.

So, I'll second the question from the lost set bonus angle. Is the company gear viable for those not willing to go with the Orcus set? And what's the new armor pen needed for mod 12?
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

So, I'll second the question from the lost set bonus angle. Is the company gear viable for those not willing to go with the Orcus set? And what's the new armor pen needed for mod 12?

Seems to be about 75% on just the random mobs in the zone. We have no further information on the Tomb of the Gods dungeon since nobody has it available on preview.

This is the link to Sharp's tests:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1232002/mod-12-mob-dr

Also, while I'm on the subject, nobody has ran tests on Enemy ArmorPen. I know Sharp encouraged me to do it, but I've been slacking off extremely busy playing other games in taking care of refinement matters (and watching Sharp prove me wrong on a bet).

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    edited June 2017

Now I just compared the lost set and dabbled in the faultiness of the Orcus set by way of the armor pen loss. Orcus set maxes out at 20% which is awesome, but it's not up full time. With 2 more attribute points into STR and CHA I'd have a flat 4% increase in damage output. And let us not forget the added stamina and aoe resist that comes from STR. Plus the increase to my legendary Con Artist's stats, which is minimal but it still exists. Not too shabby.

I don't think it works that way.

You have to compare the damage buff of what you have at the moment to what you will have when you add the extra STR/CHA.

As we know, the damage buff of STR is 1+ ((STR-10)/100) = damage buff of STR.

So, if we compare the damage buffs of old to new, the formula would look like this:

New Damage Buff of STR/Old Damage Buff of STR = DPS Increase

So, using your GF as an example... your base is 27 STR and your new STR score is 29 STR.

(1.29)/(1.27)
    1.015748 or a 1.58% DPS increase

Similar principle for CHA: you need to compare your CA Damage buff of your old CHA score to the CA buff to your new CHA Score.

CA Buff Formula: Drow * (0.15 + [(CHA-10)/100] + CA Special Stat % + CA Comp %)

*Drow stands for the Drow Ambush Tactics boon, if you have it, Drow = 1.1, if not, then Drow = 1.0.

From what I read, your GF has 20 CHA without the cloak at 22 CHA with the cloak. I'm assuming you have Drow Ambush Tactics, have 8% CA special stat, and no CA companions, since that's what I would do. So, applying our DPS Increase Fomrula:

1.1* (0.15 + [(22-10)/100] + 0.08 + 0) / 1.1* (0.15 + [(20-10)/100] + 0.08 + 0)
    [1.1 (0.15 + 0.12 + 0.08)] / [1.1 * (0.15 + 0.1 + 0.08)]
    1.060, or about give or take a 6% DPS increase.

Now, I'm not sure how you're supposed to combine these calculations together. Actually, in hindsight, I totally could have done the math wrong, so I would defer to the judgement of @thefabricant or @micky1p00 to confirm if my math is right or not.

• boromir#3940 boromir Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    Thanks RJC9000. And yes I do have the drow boon for +10% CA. 1200 regen is the other option which I find next to useless. I have an intellectual devourer, but don't use it for obvious reasons. A flat 500 power set bonus comes with the company gear, regardless of what combo we use. So if your calculations are correct then it's going to be 7.25% vs the 6% you quoted. Unless you did with which I couldn't tell. The engineer level math you guys do is beyond my BA in criminal justice. Much appreciated as always.

STR calculations old/new. They changed that or something? I saw the math and I'm not understanding why it would be that way. Shouldn't STR be a flat 1% per attribute rank after 10? The 1.58% increase from 27 to 29 STR instead of 2% is baffling me. No need to explain, I believe you. Just found it to be curious.

Thank you for the link to Sharp's testing. I tried to find something on the subject, but google hates me lol.