test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Just unlocked msva - any tips?

Hello guys. I recently unlocked msva and I'm yet to run it. I wanted to ask if there are any things I should know/remember before running it as a tank? I ran it before as a DPS so I know overall mechanics of the raid, but I'm looking for tank specific advices.

GF tactician by the way. Also - which summoned companion would be better for it: Rust Monster or Dancing Shield?

Comments

• remfdtremfdt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 83 Arc User
    Just a couple ideas/opinions:

Invest in the resist consumables (elixirs and stronghold food, if available to you) and any of the other resist gear/reinforcement kits you can lay hands on. Running with 50+% helps general survivability a lot.

Read up on the fight a bit, and make sure you understand the tank stacking mechanic, or "you will die, alone!". :) Move the boss out from the edge of the throne, and face him away from the rest of your raid if possible. Watch your stamina as you'll need your shield up basically all the time when tanking him (pseudodragon is good if you have sta regen issues).

When tanking the manticores in the storm ring, you can "walk" them around the perimeter by timing their attacks and your movement/placement; they push you back with each swipe, and you don't want to hit the boundary. Don't get too far away or they do a cone AE knockback.
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User

Hello guys. I recently unlocked msva and I'm yet to run it. I wanted to ask if there are any things I should know/remember before running it as a tank? I ran it before as a DPS so I know overall mechanics of the raid, but I'm looking for tank specific advices.

GF tactician by the way. Also - which summoned companion would be better for it: Rust Monster or Dancing Shield?

Different mechanics get applied to tanks (doomvariate, etc.) than to non-tanks (permafrost shards, tagged AoE etc.). It's not necessarily a very difficult fight if you have a good team, mostly it depends on your team not dropping those AoEs on you.

Try to make sure you pull the boss out a little bit away from the throne / storm. Helps if you have a 2nd tank to help spread out doomvariate. He also telegraphs his attacks like nuts so with a little practice you can easily get your shield up in time.

I would use dancing shield for the uncapped buff. If you have a hard time staying alive you swap out for the rust monster to help take the edge off the biggest hits.
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    Dancing Shield will be better, since the faster you burn down the boss, the less times he has to hit you.

Like in FBI, most of the damage you will take is from Everfrost damage, so load up on that EF resist.

Be cognizant of where the enemy attacks are facing, since some attacks have deceptively long range (Storvald's IBS), or have surprisingly short(er) range (the red area of the Manticore poison flip simply denotes "gtfo or die", so you can slighty edge into the red cones if you are short of space)

Also, tell your team to move the ice from out of his feet, otherwise, you're going to get rekt by his attacks 24/7. And the DPSers won't be able to stroke their epeens from big numbers.

One weird and specific thing to watch for is the manticores' cross up attacks. Whenever you poke the manticores enough, Storvald decides to stop sitting on his throne and the manticores run off. During this specific part, the manticores' 2 hit melee attack will actually cross up your shield if you get too close to shield their hits, meaning you take full damage for trying to be a good tank. Don't ask me why, it just does this.

• remfdtremfdt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 83 Arc User
    Confirm the last bit about the manticores' parting shots... not quite sure why it happens, but it does and it hurts!
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    > @rjc9000 said:
    > Also, tell your team to move the ice from out of his feet, otherwise, you're going to get rekt by his attacks 24/7. And the DPSers won't be able to stroke their epeens from big numbers.
    >
    This is so important had to ditto it.
    Also: communication is key.
    Chat with the other tank while in queue.
    Agree on one spot to stand, shoulder-to-shoulder, in the boss phases.
    Two reasons:
    1) avoids a wasteful aggro tug-of-war, or worse, spinning the boss.
    2) Shares the Duumvarate attack damage (arrows holding you in place followed by a spin-attack).

Once you and the other tank agree on a spot, then announce this to the DPSers so they can stay in Combat Advantage.
    Hint: Tell them, don't ask. It is the tanks' prerogative to choose the boss location.

I suggest the carpet. It is near several runes, far enough from throne to give dodging room.

Good luck.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • masticore#3287 masticore Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    The biggest killer I've experienced is the hypothermia. When the other tank has double red arrows you must "tag" him in order to take one of the arrows and split the damage or it can or will one shot you. That is why tanks are side by side if not stacked.

At the end of the manticore phases you can get wrecked by them and if the healers aren't on their game can mean death when stormvald comes out.

Also, and Im not 100% sure, there is an aoe he does, which will drop your shield, so reup your guard.

And one more.Theres some sort of root mechanic, which is usually timed with duumvirate, I could also use a little clarification if anyone could chime in.
    Usually for me its 50/50 death chance lol. Is there a debuff contributing to this? Or maybe a group comp issue?
    Post edited by masticore#3287 on
  • cilginordekcilginordek Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    @masticore#3287 You get rooted if you will die alone targets you. I reckon you die sometimes because theres ice under your feet from the red aoe attacks he puts on dps. Standing on that increases the damage you take.
    Its tough to tell with so much going on. When I see red under my feet I try to take a step back. Perhaps a case of deeps not doing what they're supposed to do. It's just very disappointing to die from it thinking it was something you did.
  • manipulosmanipulos Member Posts: 235 Arc User

Also, and Im not 100% sure, there is an aoe he does, which will drop your shield, so reup your guard.

Is this a thing in the game in general or just this specific attack? Because sometimes my shield drops and I'm second guessing myself, did my pinky finger just slip off the shift key a little or did an attack just drop my shield?...
    > @manipulos said:
    > Also, and Im not 100% sure, there is an aoe he does, which will drop your shield, so reup your guard.
    >
    > Is this a thing in the game in general or just this specific attack? Because sometimes my shield drops and I'm second guessing myself, did my pinky finger just slip off the shift key a little or did an attack just drop my shield?...

I think its either winters call or winters fury, not sure on name. All I know is the screen gets white out from a blizzard and when I can see again my shield is down. I play on ps4 so the shield is toggled.

Side note, ps4 kinda sucks for tanking giants like this, I can't really see the boss as a whole, so I cant in one glance see if the aoe ice is on the ground and see if jarl is marked. Wish there was a setting in options for this like a slider.
  • cilginordekcilginordek Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    @manipulos
    Witness power of the ring of the winter attack makes you drop shield. Sometimes latency might too, but if its beacuse of latency then its only when youre first raising it.
    Just completed a banner run, a pug at that. I can definitely say that the proper group composition and everyone knowing what to do makes all the difference. I am relieved, as a tank, everything I did was correct. If everyone else does what they're supposed to, just follow the advice above and you'll be successful. Thanks y'all!