What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: public vs. private queue item level requirements

2»

Comments

• Options
    antechei#9127 antechei Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    This thread isn't closed, is it? My post just got deleted when I refreshed the page. Oh well..
    Guess I'm rewriting it.
  • Options
    antechei#9127 antechei Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    Could you make Private queues have a Total GROUP IL requirement, instead of Individual? For example, a currently 1600IL dungeon would require maybe a total of 10000 IL, (1600 + 400 = 2000, x5 = 10k). Leave Public queues to be determined by Individual IL, to keep them within the realm of possibility for a low-ish IL pug, but allow Private queues to be Total Group IL, still allowing an all 2k group to get in, but also allowing a 3/4k player(s) to carry <2000IL players, if the need arises. There might be something I'm missing, but I feel like is combining the best of both - raising the Public requirements to stop players from faceplanting their way through dungeons, without restricting in-guild/alliance groups from carrying their squishier members.

• Options
    masterclown61masterclown61 Member Posts: 106 Arc User

Well, I'll give a really personal and practical answer in terms of this thread.

Separating public and private is something that just seems flat-out better than what we have now. So it's not a hard sell for me internally -- nobody has to be convinced we should do something wildly different from what we are doing now.

Eliminating iLevel requirements entirely (even just for private queues) is a big change. I'd have to convince a lot of people. Odds are, it would be a lot of effort, and maybe in the end nothing would change at all. That would be sad.

Another way to say it is I'm trying to solve a very particular problem:
    * It's bad for a player to see a queue has a requirement of 2000, join the queue, and then get yelled at by other players with much higher TIL (or to get totally crushed along with a bunch of other 2000 players).

Here is a problem I am totally not trying to solve:
    * Neverwinter queues could be totally different in terms of how they do (or don't) require a certain item level to get in. Maybe some other method would be much better.

I'm all for speculation, but keep in mind what I am hoping for in this thread is feedback on the questions I asked. (I mention all this to improve my chances of getting that feedback, and also to limit expectations of what changes are going to come from it.)

That said, let me address the bigger picture, since you ask! I'd say (and keep in mind I wasn't here when the original queue decisions were made, so this is me looking at things after the fact) that the main purpose of the item level requirements is to give people enough guidance that they can have a good experience. Neverwinter (like most MMOs today) isn't meant to be a total toss-you-to-the-wolves, figure-it-out-by-dying experience. It's meant to be a little easier on players than that. So I think it makes sense that there's some guidance in terms of queue requirements, and if you meet the queue requirement, you should have a good chance to succeed in the queue.

Having someone drag you along as a way to advance rapidly is one of those opportunities that is hard (as a player) not to take advantage of if someone offers it, but doesn't necessarily make for a fun game in the long run. Most MMOs have some sort of limitations on this kind of thing. For example, most MMOs won't let you group a L70 and a L1, and have the L70 kill stuff and the L1 gets full credit and rockets to L70 in no time. Systems are put in deliberately to prevent that. That's because, in the long run, it's more fun to play the game and get the rewards than it is to just get the rewards handed to you. (Again, I understand that players will take any acceleration chances they can get -- I know I do in the games I play -- but that doesn't mean the game design should have lots of extreme accelerators.) I think the argument not to let a bunch of high TIL characters help a super-low TIL character get gear is pretty similar. A certain amount of "strong characters help the weak" is fine and fun and a part of every MMO (NW included). But too much and it gets tedious -- it feels like you're just being run through the game rather than really playing it yourself.

Note the changes we're talking about here actually do make it a bit easier for strong characters to help weak characters get gear. (Some people on the dev team have argued against the changes for that reason.) For me, that's a price worth paying because I really hate the idea that we tell you "this queue is ok for TIL 2000" and then the game smashes your face in if you queue with TIL 2000. The other alternative would be to just leave the system as-is, but flat out raise the queue requirements for the problem queues. I'm going to speculate that that solution would not be well received. :P

Anyway, for anyone reading this, speculate or not as you please, but please do give me some feedback on the original question!

P.S. Becky's point is an excellent one as well.

YOU ARE THE DEVELOPERS OF THIS GAME, AND EVERY REACTION U GIVE TO AN OPINION IS :

"It will probably takes SOOOO much effort."

Then what is job here ? Do we have to care about what u invest as in money/time when we should only interest into the service we are getting which is the gameplay experience? (Not that I support what's being said, but I think I made my point.)

Fix class-balance issues: ----> Too much time to invest.
    Fix PvP ------> Too much time to invest.
    Fix Weapon Enchant issues -----> Too much time to invest.
    Fix bla bla bla -----> It's not a good idea, but also there's no time/money to do it. COME ON!
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User

YOU ARE THE DEVELOPERS OF THIS GAME, AND EVERY REACTION U GIVE TO AN OPINION IS :

"It will probably takes SOOOO much effort."

Then what is job here ? Do we have to care about what u invest as in money/time when we should only interest into the service we are getting which is the gameplay experience? (Not that I support what's being said, but I think I made my point.)

Fix class-balance issues: ----> Too much time to invest.
    Fix PvP ------> Too much time to invest.
    Fix Weapon Enchant issues -----> Too much time to invest.
    Fix bla bla bla -----> It's not a good idea, but also there's no time/money to do it. COME ON!

Uh, in the post you quoted there was no mention of "too much time to invest" so I don't know why you're focusing here, he's asking for feedback on the queue requirements and obviously reaching out to the players to find out our thoughts on the subject.

The subject of how the development team prioritise their workload is a different thing. I agree there are areas which have been unjustifiably ignored for (literally) years but you should at least read what you are quoting and not hijack threads to make a point about something else.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User

Could you make Private queues have a Total GROUP IL requirement, instead of Individual? For example, a currently 1600IL dungeon would require maybe a total of 10000 IL, (1600 + 400 = 2000, x5 = 10k). Leave Public queues to be determined by Individual IL, to keep them within the realm of possibility for a low-ish IL pug, but allow Private queues to be Total Group IL, still allowing an all 2k group to get in, but also allowing a 3/4k player(s) to carry

Again, while nice to have for lower IL chars, this would put an unwanted strain on long time players.

This is what will happen. Low IL players will want to run FBI etc. To enter, they will need high IL players. As it is I did just reset professions yesterday. I was online with my DC for 5 minutes and did get 3 pms to run FBI or MSWA. Dont get me wrong, I dont mind helping out. Most of the times I que VT, ELOL etc solo, bc I could solo it and I dont mind running 5 minutes longer with a PuG team. What I would mind is ppl wanting me or others to carry them in dungeons, if they cant contribute at all and chances are, that we will waste 1-2 hours or fail utterly.

You dont think, that ppl feel that entitlement? You are wrong.

I did get insulted by PuG players for failing to solo Valindra, bc I died in the 2nd phase (hand), after they all died in the 1st phase.

A few days ago I did an ETOS run with some ppl from a zerg channel. The OP did build the group and had ca. 2k IL. Guess what. He died in every boss fight and I had to tank with my CW. We finished the dungeon and I left. Now with a group IL. Take 2 4k+ players and the rest can enter with their unequipped praying alts. Is it doable? Yes. Would you want to waste your time in runs like this? No.

There is a reason for min IL, even in private ques.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Well in the WE rework thread players were asked how they would like DR to be treated, devs chose to keep uncaped DR in the game. I am against that decision, to get uncapped DR debuff some items are needed and having these certain items it's not much "pug likely", so as a first step to bring the game towards a better state and shorten the gap between those 2 kinds of teams i would raise the uncapped globally to 250% and specifically for Demogorgon and Storvald to 300%. So @rgutscheradev what is your opinion on this?

I know people will fight against it because they got comfortable with the stacking of these buffs so here are my shield answers:

Arg: What! Pugs dont even get to 200%, that will just be bad.
    Me: Yes they do, with correct power usage, not much likely in multi target but single target it's the core of the game, boss not dead, no cookies, simple.

Arg: What!!?? Do you realize that enemies would take much more to kill, the game would be impossible to play, R.I.P. neverwinter.
    Me: No they wouldn't, no it would not.

Arg: I spent 1 million to make my con artist legendary and now you want to nerf it, just no, you are being selfish.
    Me: I spent 1 million getting a alchemist experimenter that with the fades of the modules grew increasingly worthless, i'm not crying about it.
    Post edited by treesclimber on

• Options
    edited May 2017
    On a side note. With the new module life, I checked IL on my chars.

Main cracked 16k. 2 at 15k and the rest I play has ~13k. If you did get your boons, it should be easy to run dongeons.

Even my LS alts, no guild boons, next to no other boons, hand me downs and blue or epic artifacts from BtC refinement points crack 8.5k. Ok, they have 5 epic mounts (account) and insignias, but everyone who wants to play a char and wants to contribute can gear up to enter a dungeon without a problem.

IMO this might punish ppl running an alt army to get RAD, but not serious players.
    Post edited by asterotg on
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    From my perspective, this is like the revised IL that was just introduced. It is intended to solve a current problem - it is not perfect - we can point at specific problems, but it is still an improvement over what we currently have, so yea...it is worth doing.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    @rgutscheradev i understand the prioritization, when it comes to overall game balance i think you could work around pretty much every pve problem by rebalance companions, that would also create a "safe platform" between pvp and pve.

• Options
    dairyzeusdairyzeus Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    Not directly related, but can you stop reorganizing players in private queues to try and fit the "tank, heal, and 3 dps" comp?

In public queue's it totally makes sense as you have no idea what you're getting paired with, so it's a good general rule of thumb. However, when I make a private 10 or 25 person queue I go to lengths to try and organize groups for maximum buffing potential. Then, after all the effort I'll get into the dungeon only to have my guardian fighters and DO DC's grouped up with the lowest dps and other support classes.
  • Options
    aliguanaaliguana Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    the reqs are still too low. Castle Never, in particular, should be over 10k, not 7.
  • Options
    rgutscheradevrgutscheradev Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 186 Cryptic Developer
    aliguana said:

the reqs are still too low. Castle Never, in particular, should be over 10k, not 7.

Castle Never is messed up because Orcus is hitting way too hard. But overall, Castle Never is meant to be hard, but not as hard as Fangbreaker or Svardborg. We'll be making some adjustments to Orcus so that he's more in line with the intended difficulty of Castle Never as a whole.
  • Options
    erosennin92erosennin92 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 38 Arc User

@rgutscheradev a strongly disagree with nerfing the damage dealt by Orcus, he is 1 of the few bosses in the game that a tank actually has to tank and it CAN be tanked by a tank that only meets the minimum requirements, provided they can actually play their class and there is some support provided by a healer.

I strongly agree with it.
    CN has always being the "something" in between T2s and FBI/ESP, the sort of jump in quality new players do when they feel safe with T2s, before doing actually the big jump with FBI (or at least this is what we intend when we help our guildies).
    Therefore, I would rather suggest to start considering CN as something different rather than smoothing it to T2 levels.

Azeroth Godwill - (Half)Drow - Virtuous AC DC - iLvL 4k

• Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    I'm pretty sure the public queues will remain non-viable. Most players recruit FBI not lower than 12k. Not saying it's what you need, but that's the reality in /lfg and all those private channels. I don't see why players would voluntarily put themselves into an 11k pug for the dungeon unless they like a challenge.​​
  • Options
    gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    I second @thefabricant and @erosennin92 on CN. Leave it like it is. I can almost facetank Orcus on my non-BIS temptation SW (I only die when he crits on the high side) without any support. It is nice to have dungeons where tanks actually do tank stuff instead of being dps and buffbots only.

Many GFs I see around are now dps with "just enough" tanking/aggro capability. I've seen some of them (even almost BIS) die at Orcus just because I slotted Fox's Cunning or used a tank pet like the Yeti. Pauses in the damage from Orcus reduce their AP gain and they can't sustain their daily powers rotation to keep Steel Defense up as much as they need, and then they die.

Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • Options
    mordockbrmordockbr Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    A public group of 10700 players doying MSVA??? Are you seriously?? This group will fail hardly in every try they do, these requeriments aren't going to help nothing!

For me good requeriments would be:

Master savabog, FBI, Master Spell Plague: 13000

Castle never, Epic Gray wolf, Epic Crag Mines: 10000

Epic Temple of the sipder, Prophecy of Madness, Epic Demongorg, Tiamat: 9000

The others dungeons and skirmish the IL aren't relevant and can be removed.

For private queues just remove all the IL requeriments, they are not relevant there.

And please, you guys have a longstanding problem in your game which is the pvp queue! Make a solo queue of it and when solo queuying balance the players in the 2 partys of the pvp instance formed. Leave the normal queue for premade competitions.

Thx, hope i get listen and sorry for my bad english
  • Options
    fluffy6977fluffy6977 Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    Leave Orcus be, he's fine.
  • Options
    kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    @rgutscheradev
    how about fixing the pvp Q /elo and showing a little love ...........

So where are the patch notes for the private 5 v 5 pvp Q then already !!!!! *sigh*
  • Options
    firdraingfirdraing Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    I like the change a lot, was hoping this will arrive sooner or later.

However, I feel like in private queue the lower dungeon requirements could be just slightly lower, since the private queue groups are set up and most likely ready for the dungeon, (and probably) have higher TIL people in the group as well (I.e. the 6600 would be like 6300?).
    I think a great addition would be a "recommended TIL for x dungeon" would also be a fine addition. Let's say a dungeon is accessible with 9200 but it's said that it's recommended to have 9800+ for it, which would ( I hope) mean that you will need a bit of carrying, so people wouldn't think that having 9200 TIL and being able to enter the place means that you can own that dungeon already.
  • Options
    The change to orcus was too extreme, my GF is 11k GS (no bondings) and i don't even raise my shield anymore and the time need to kill him is absurd.

• Options
    Since we still are a bit on the dungeons theme there is one very important thing i think should be fixed, in valindra's tower the hall with 2 gelatinous cubes can be passed straight forward by interacting with the switcher (or whatever the name), beginners die multiple times and even quit because they don't know how to pass that wall and the gelatinous cubes hit pretty hard, same thing happens in the passage to the first boss and people have completely no respect to help those that stay behind.

I am not apologist of removing those walls, a dungeon is a dungeon not a drag contest and even if a beginner gets behind they should be able to make presence in battles, not spawn in the begging of the dungeon and only see the rest of the party at the boss door (seriously it's ridiculous), the switchers should not be intractable in combat.

• Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    adinosii said:

What worries me is the following:

There will be people who do not qualify for the public queue, but meet the requirements for a private queue. Most guilds are probably fine with "carrying" someone through a dungeon, but this change would mean an increased number of runs where one or more participants do not meet the "public" requirements.

There is a possibility that this will create a bit of "strain" within some guilds.

While a well-organized guild group (in particular one with voice communication) should generally not have problems, even if one or two participants barely meet the minimum requirements, such runs will take longer, and there is a higher risk of failure.

Can everybody handle that, or will some people feel like they are being "used" by their fellow guild members - basically pressured into carrying people constantly? Or, if players refuse to carry lower IL guild members, will those members feel left out? That's what I mean by "creating a strain" within the guild.

I am not worried about my own guild - I think we are sufficiently mature and helpful for this not to be a problem, but I can see that for some people I have known this might become a real issue.

Unfortunately, I do not have any suggestions for how to solve this issue other than "just grow up".....

I can't speak for any guild but my own. We will carry anyone that can get thru the door through older content... Tiamat runs, etc. & there are plenty of players (for now) chasing certain gears that any lvl 70 can get into any of the epic dungeons they want to run. BUT, for harder content, like CN, MSVA, FBI... we institute IL caps (usually 12k+). If someone is close... meh. Depends on how well they do in other things. A GF that can't slam Demogorgon into the yellow shields is not gonna be invited into a CN run, y'think? I agree that the possibility of abuse is there in this sort of situation. Still, you can't make a rule to protect someone from themselves. Guildies that get bent out of shape cuz they can't do content that they are not ready for... or because they are feeling used... that's kind of an in-house problem. It's nice to see things from their perspective, but if they can't fix this problem through communication, how well are they really gonna do in the harder content?

• Options

adinosii said:

What worries me is the following:

There will be people who do not qualify for the public queue, but meet the requirements for a private queue. Most guilds are probably fine with "carrying" someone through a dungeon, but this change would mean an increased number of runs where one or more participants do not meet the "public" requirements.

There is a possibility that this will create a bit of "strain" within some guilds.

While a well-organized guild group (in particular one with voice communication) should generally not have problems, even if one or two participants barely meet the minimum requirements, such runs will take longer, and there is a higher risk of failure.

Can everybody handle that, or will some people feel like they are being "used" by their fellow guild members - basically pressured into carrying people constantly? Or, if players refuse to carry lower IL guild members, will those members feel left out? That's what I mean by "creating a strain" within the guild.

I am not worried about my own guild - I think we are sufficiently mature and helpful for this not to be a problem, but I can see that for some people I have known this might become a real issue.

Unfortunately, I do not have any suggestions for how to solve this issue other than "just grow up".....

I can't speak for any guild but my own. We will carry anyone that can get thru the door through older content... Tiamat runs, etc. & there are plenty of players (for now) chasing certain gears that any lvl 70 can get into any of the epic dungeons they want to run. BUT, for harder content, like CN, MSVA, FBI... we institute IL caps (usually 12k+). If someone is close... meh. Depends on how well they do in other things. A GF that can't slam Demogorgon into the yellow shields is not gonna be invited into a CN run, y'think? I agree that the possibility of abuse is there in this sort of situation. Still, you can't make a rule to protect someone from themselves. Guildies that get bent out of shape cuz they can't do content that they are not ready for... or because they are feeling used... that's kind of an in-house problem. It's nice to see things from their perspective, but if they can't fix this problem through communication, how well are they really gonna do in the harder content?

It is a question of the players personality, too. For example, my former guild leader in a 200+ LOTRO guild did quit, bc he had no joy playing anymore, bc everyone asked him to help out and he did. Some time ago our guild leadership told us, to run more with alliance members. A friend replied, 'Why should I do that? I dont run with 90% of our guild members, bc they suck. I wont treat alliance members better.'

Even before the min IL was so low, you had to carry friends and guild members in some chases.