What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Buffs and debuffs need a tonedown

Comments

• Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Well I think the problem is nothing caused by specific classes currently but Bonding Stones.

No I'm not even suggesting they nerf or change the stones either; the sole problem exists because companions can slot up to 3 Rank 12 Bonding stones...

This turns a non augment companion into 2 or 3 augments who also have attack / defensive abilities.

It also devalues the role of actual augment companions because they can't even slot a Bonding Stone. Well some might say they can all they gain is the raw offensive or defensive boost; as augments they don't have 1-5 attack powers that trigger additional augmentation. The only way to boost this in an augment is to use Eldritch in Defense slots if they have 1-3 of those.

The problem would easily be fixed if companions were limited to a single bonding stone in the first slot. They'd then only be able to boost it further if the two remaining slots were defensive and they utilized Eldritch enchantments.
    Post edited by strathkin on
  • Options
    lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    yeah, great idea . . . . . Not.

Nerf the support classes some more (which are rare as hens teeth already in pug queues) so less ppl are encouraged to play them. It already takes me way to long for queues to pop on my DPS toons

But hey, don't dare look at reducing raw DPS or the self buffing of some DPS types.

Spoken like someone who plays DPS only, and who loves cry nerf on every other class except the one he plays.

Another nerf request thread, should be closed imo.
  • Options
    I agree with you and would not want to see any support classes nerfed in any way.

I think someone else said it best there is nothing wrong with buff or debuff of support classes as this is critical to their role. They also likely had to make sacrifices to their offensive or defensive abilities instead choosing feats that benefit the party.

The clear problem here is Bonding Stones. Even an Augment companion only give 100% of it's buff's to the player it accompanying with no attack or defensive capabilities except that their rarely attacked because they create no threat. Augments use to be preferred by many people because of their ability to further boost the player but the only way to extend an augment is with Eldritch in defensive slots beyond the 100% they give naturally.

Yet now we see far too many players with Strikers or Controller's with 3 R12 Bonding Stones that basically give that player the equivalent of 2-3 summoned augment companions who also have attack powers which normal augments don't.

The issue is all companions should only be able to slot 1 bonding in the first slot otherwise rely on Eldritch if the two remaining slots are defense. o:)
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    Bad idea...and not going to happen.

Augments are generally not competitive with summoned companions with 3xR12 Bonding runestones - but they are not supposed to be. The way I see it, an augment is fine while you are leveling up - in particular if you have an account-unlocked one like the Ioun stone of Radiance that you can claim for every alt you create. Having that is a great boost for levels 5-59.

However, I see the summoned companions with Bonding runestones as "end-game" gear - an upgrade from the augments. You seem to be thinking that augments should somehow be competitive and that just is not the case.

Besides, the devs are simply not this dumb - a massive nerf to companions/bondings would upset a lot of people and possibly result in a big exodus from the game - they cannot afford that.

Having said that, there is actually one case where augments are useful at the high end - for the second boss in SP, as he might kick the summoned companions off the platform and kill them. Getting a 100% boost from an augment is better than getting nothing from a dead summoned companion.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    > @tom#6998 said:
    > I am interested in hearing alternative proposals, but not the ones of just adding 4.3k dungeons or nerfing GWF.
    >
    > why are harder dungeons such a bad idea?

They are not a bad idea, but I think that the way they are made "harder" is the key. If by harder you mean just more damaging mobs and more HPs for mobs and bosses, then I'd rather say I won't like them.
    If they start to add some more stuff like mobs that daze you with ranged attacks, mobs that drain APs, mobs that push you into hazardous terrain (and more hazardous terrain) and stuff like that then I'm definitely in.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • Options
    rapo973rapo973 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 831 Arc User
    Maybe just more tricky mechanics. The second boss at msp goes in that direction: i really like the concept.
    Ofc some teams can burn It, but imo the idea behind is the right one.

Oltreverso guild leader
    Maga Othelma - DC | Svalvolo - SW | Dente Avvelenato- GWF
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    adinosii said:

Augments are generally not competitive with summoned companions with 3xR12 Bonding runestones - but they are not supposed to be. The way I see it, an augment is fine while you are leveling up - in particular if you have an account-unlocked one like the Ioun stone of Radiance that you can claim for every alt you create. Having that is a great boost for levels 5-59.

However, I see the summoned companions with Bonding runestones as "end-game" gear - an upgrade from the augments. You seem to be thinking that augments should somehow be competitive and that just is not the case.

Besides, the devs are simply not this dumb - a massive nerf to companions/bondings would upset a lot of people and possibly result in a big exodus from the game - they cannot afford that.

Having said that, there is actually one case where augments are useful at the high end - for the second boss in SP, as he might kick the summoned companions off the platform and kill them. Getting a 100% boost from an augment is better than getting nothing from a dead summoned companion.

Summoned companions that die will respawn will get back up in 5-7s later right beside you. Perhaps if their kicked off the platform perhaps it prevents this...

Still I'm not suggesting that Augments should be enhanced but clearly if people are asking for a nerf to support classes when there is nothing wrong, their FOCUS should be on how 3 bondings turn strikers or controllers at Epic or Legendary which are powerful attack companions into super augments who deal a lot of damage to boot. Just calling a spade a spade! Why should support classes require a nerf when the problem is clearly created by allowing 3 rather than only 1 bonding stone in only the first companion runestone slot. o:)

The plain and simple fact of the matter is 3 R12 Bonding stones turns a single striker or controller companion with great gear and 6 high end R12 enchantments + 3 R12 Bondings (equivalent to a rank 13 runestone) into a at best a 285% augment who also get's +840 x3 to power or defense on top. An Eldrich at R12 only gives a 12% augment boost and only if in a defense slot otherwise a +700 armor pen if in offense and it's either/or not and.

+840 x 3 = 2520, then 3 Epic Personalized Rings, Neck or Belt give (two 384 buffs or 768 total) + 1400 each if equipped with two R12 enchantments possibly higher if Salvage, Brutal or Demonic.

So a Striker with that loadout just at Epic with 3 R12 Bondings can boost the players buff's as much as 32,900 or more if using +4 companion gear or Loyal Companion gear. That means the companion does very noticeable damage in the DPS log possibly as high as >20% of players overall damage while also expanding the players totals buff by 32,900 in total which is a hugely significant boost given the best Epic / Legendary Augment will provide is maybe 13,950.

I've provided that feedback to game designers yet have no idea 'what' if any action they may take, but clearly be aware that the answer is not in nerfing support because of a few Elephants. Most of which are DPS classes, so the person who said nerfing support is not the answer, was in fact very correct and would unfairly penalize them. Especially when all they do is make your Damage or Healing look even better than it is as they forgo the glory allowing you to shine.

Reducing companions to only being able to use 1 maybe 2 bonding stones would certainly correct the issue identified in the original post. It also would still leave the player with a very powerful companion to augment & equally do damage which would still make them far superior to augment companions. Most companions sold with bonding stones only came with one in the first place, and it may have simply been an oversight they forget to limit. Eldritch clearly only expand augmentation up to 12% not 95% and they only provide that or provide a +700 boost to armor pen not both like bonding.

Be careful what you ask for, cause you 'might' get a fix with bonding.
    Post edited by strathkin on
  • Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    strathkin said:

adinosii said:

Summoned companions that die will respawn will get back up in 5-7s later right beside you. Perhaps if their kicked off the platform perhaps it prevents this...

Still I'm not suggesting that Augments should be enhanced but clearly if people are asking for a nerf to support classes when there is nothing wrong, their FOCUS should be on how 3 bondings turn strikers or controllers at Epic or Legendary which are powerful attack companions into super augments who deal a lot of damage to boot. Just calling a spade a spade! Why should support classes require a nerf when the problem is clearly created by allowing 3 rather than only 1 bonding stone in only the first companion runestone slot. o:)

The plain and simple fact of the matter is 3 R12 Bonding stones turns a single striker or controller companion with great gear and 6 high end R12 enchantments + 3 R12 Bondings (equivalent to a rank 13 runestone) into a at best a 285% augment who also get's +840 x3 to power or defense on top. An Eldrich at R12 only gives a 12% augment boost and only if in a defense slot otherwise a +700 armor pen if in offense and it's either/or not and.

+840 x 3 = 2520, then 3 Epic Personalized Rings, Neck or Belt give (two 384 buffs or 768 total) + 1400 each if equipped with two R12 enchantments possibly higher if Salvage, Brutal or Demonic.

So a Striker with that loadout just at Epic with 3 R12 Bondings can boost the players buff's as much as 32,900 or more if using +4 companion gear or Loyal Companion gear. That means the companion does very noticeable damage in the DPS log possibly as high as >20% of players overall damage while also expanding the players totals buff by 32,900 in total which is a hugely significant boost given the best Epic / Legendary Augment will provide is maybe 13,950.

I've provided that feedback to game designers yet have no idea 'what' if any action they may take, but clearly be aware that the answer is not in nerfing support because of a few Elephants. Most of which are DPS classes, so the person who said nerfing support is not the answer, was in fact very correct and would unfairly penalize them. Especially when all they do is make your Damage or Healing look even better than it is as they forgo the glory allowing you to shine.

Reducing companions to only being able to use 1 maybe 2 bonding stones would certainly correct the issue identified in the original post. It also would still leave the player with a very powerful companion to augment & equally do damage which would still make them far superior to augment companions. Most companions sold with bonding stones only came with one in the first place, and it may have simply been an oversight they forget to limit. Eldritch clearly only expand augmentation up to 12% not 95% and they only provide that or provide a +700 boost to armor pen not both like bonding.

Be careful what you ask for, cause you 'might' get a fix with bonding.
    Yea, bondings are the problem...not. Plz stop this endless nerf this nerf that posts. OK, some were viable, bc of really broken mechanics, but if the game is to easy for you RUN PUG and dont whine in the forum.

Here is the deal. I did a PuG run with my MOF rene buff/debuff CW. I ended up dealing 10x more dmg, then the 2nd player and 5x the dmg of the rest of the party, including 2nd place. Do I go to the forum and start a thread 'MOF RENE CWs INSANE HIGH DPS NEEDS A TONE DOWN'? No. Why? bc you have to see the big picture.

1% has the gear and the skill for real speedruns. Good for them. Are you so egocentric or envious, that you want to ruin the game for the other 99% bc you are one of the 1% and you need a challenge or you are not and you want them to suffer, like you do in your random MSVA runs. To make a dungeon difficult for these 1%, you have to exclude the other 99%, so get real plz.

I am all for fixing some bugs/exploits, but besides that, the game is fine as it is (PVE) for 90% of the players. There will always be the 1% who are to good for a casual game and the 9% who think, that they should be rewarded for loging in and smashing buttons.

There is a problem with power creep, but thats something you cant change, if long time players get better and better gear and the majority is left way behind. That is nothing new. There should be a 2 or 3 years old post, where I said, that this would ruin PVP and become a problem in PvE.

Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    I don't think they will nerf bonding stones but at some stage we may see some limits placed on how many you may be able to equip to the first one or two runestone slots. It's not like people who have 3 of them need to sell them as they can equip 1 or 2 into a different companion so they can easily use different companions in different dungeons or areas. Even if this did happen they'd still be far superior to an augment companion by a factor of 2x-3x; as both the companion gains the buff while attacking while also giving the player the exact same buff that's far higher than what the augment provides with no attack.

Still theirs the argument to be made that those people invested considerable time, energy, or ad to obtain those stones and if they have... clearly like melting content fast. Perhaps the new Shroud of Souls will address this as Gear Scores more comprehensively include the Mounts, Mount Powers, Insignia, Companions Active Bonuses, Companion Gear, Companion Runestones, Companion Enchantments all of which today can easily account for an additional buff up to 40,000 that is not even included today. :smile:

R12 bondings in a well equipped companion + some Mount Powers give total buffs that far exceed all the boons from every campaign by a factor of 5x.

So clearly Cryptic is taking the first correct step to more holistically account for everything when planning for dungeon and content. It will likely allow some people to play content they couldn't have prior, at the same time also allow some of the elephants with higher gear scores, to support alliance & friends complete content they'd likely fail in.
  • Options
    lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    I wish ppl would stop crying about nerfing stuff. For example - bondings, I've just spent 6 months getting 2 sets of R12s, I'm going to be fairly pissed off if they get over nerfed.

Would someone explain to be the difference between making harder dungeons and nerfing support / bondings other than with one of those options we all take a couple of steps backwards ???

ffs
  • Options
    qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
    strathkin said:

The problem would easily be fixed if companions were limited to a single bonding stone in the first slot. They'd then only be able to boost it further if the two remaining slots were defensive and they utilized Eldritch enchantments.

This would render all normal companions useless and restore augments to being the only companion worth obtaining. Somehow, I don't see the devs making a change like that any time soon.

To explain, if regular summoned companions are limited to a single Bonding Runestone this limits their transfer bonus to 95%. To get that, a player has to spend several million AD on buying or creating an R12 Bonding Runestone. For a tiny fraction of that cost, the same player could pick up a run of the mill augment and immediately pick up a 100% bonus. Why would anyone bother to equip anything other than an augment in that situation ?

Your suggestion would fix nothing but would almost certainly result in another mass exodus of rage-quitting players from the game.

• Options
    tom#6998 tom Member Posts: 952 Arc User

Anybody can do speedruns. I am now waiting for the videos of naked FBI runs with no GWFs and no DCs. No Holy Avengers, no Forgehammers, max 3.2k IL and no debuff artifacts or pets. Come on guys, entertain me. I am bored with speedrun videos.

there are alrdy 1 man and 2 man fbis what do u want more ?

• Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    lantern22 said:

I wish ppl would stop crying about nerfing stuff. For example - bondings, I've just spent 6 months getting 2 sets of R12s, I'm going to be fairly pissed off if they get over nerfed.

Would someone explain to be the difference between making harder dungeons and nerfing support / bondings other than with one of those options we all take a couple of steps backwards ???

ffs

I have 6 chars with a full set of bondings R12. I could either sell them or gear up my LS alts.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User

Anybody can do speedruns. I am now waiting for the videos of naked FBI runs with no GWFs and no DCs. No Holy Avengers, no Forgehammers, max 3.2k IL and no debuff artifacts or pets. Come on guys, entertain me. I am bored with speedrun videos.

Is this the same guy who was complaining in this thread that GWFs need a buff and suddenly wants them excluded from speedrun groups? Why is that? Surely if they so underpowered and need a buff it should be good that speedrun groups take them?

@hypervoreian you should take a look here, the hypocrisy is off the charts.

• Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited April 2017

Only if they let epic 70 gear be upgraded to the next cap. I lost million and millions of AD with Mod 6 due to armor and gear I had just bought being useless. Do not want to go through that again. It almost killed the game.

AD meant to spend them.
    WHat is better to have 10m ad and medium gear character or 0 ad and top gear character?

• Options
    still waiting for your speedrun defiatone. since anyone can do it and its so easy.

I promise u if u show us a 12min FBI we do FBI and eSP naked
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User

I did not say speedrun groups, I said NAKED runs of MSVA, FBI and ESP. I bet you can't do them. Quit using bugs, exploits and cheese and show us the skill you claim to have. You don't have any, but still.

So how about we do the same runs again but with you as gwf instead of wicked or prokiller? Since you are such a skilled player surely it would go so much faster. I really want to see the tricks of such an amazing player. Show us how it is done defiantone, amaze us! Lets see the 9 minute fbi that you will pull off!
  • Options
    wickedduck22#9795 wickedduck22 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Since we have no skill and you have the skill why don't you do naked MSVAs? Show us your skills let us know and learn from them.
    And please name the exploits we are using cause i can't figure it out yet.
  • Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

Since we have no skill and you have the skill why don't you do naked MSVAs? Show us your skills let us know and learn from them.
    And please name the exploits we are using cause i can't figure it out yet.

You forgot the best exploit of them all.

Teamwork.

Shame on you for coordinating your teams and having each person specialize in working in a goal.
    It's a broken exploit and needs nerfing, the only teams you are allowed to run with are teams with woefully unprepared pugs!

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Yeah only then that mouth of yours will spew out HAMSTER.
  • Options

tom#6998 said:

still waiting for your speedrun defiatone. since anyone can do it and its so easy.

I promise u if u show us a 12min FBI we do FBI and eSP naked

I am not the one claiming to be THE GREATEST IN THE WORLD! Gimme a break, Mickey. I know you want this post closed, cuz you can't live without your cheese.
    how does that make any sense?. U claimed that Speedruning doesnt need Skill and everyone can do it. Now u claim u cant do it. So your skill is negative? get your HAMSTER together man.
  • Options
    Well why don't you do them then?
  • Options
    edited April 2017

I am not the one claiming to be THE GREATEST IN THE WORLD!

Could you remind me when I claimed that?
This discussion has been closed.