test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do you think your toons are related?

bhurabbhurab Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 91 Arc User
Do you think your toons are related? Of course you do! Now to get the Dev’s to play along!

It occurred to me that there must be some connection between the characters I play. On the face of it, they are of course on the same account, and I play them, but thinking about it on another level - through adversity in the search of riches, or as a distant cousins looking to gain fame and renown, or family members of some sorts - it is logical to presume a deeper game-related connection between account toons.

Further, as heroes of Neverwinter, it would also be logical to assume that our heroes would have amassed a great treasure … albeit we have spent said treasure during our travels. However, this would the tangible treasure, such as AD and meagre gold … but what about the intangible, that which is sitting in the background, unseen - I am referring to an upper class residence somewhere in the city. We cannot have heroes living from their saddle-bags, scraping rock-bottom in a back alley tavern! And of course, such marvellous residence would include a stable and smithy, and accommodation for retainers (or should we refer to them as “Assets”? ;) ).

And following on from this, what more could be suggested? Our heroes have been through such trials and hardships together, they would have forged bonds beyond merely search for riches and gain … they would be tight-knit group, ready to defend each other in any encounter - which means equally that they would gladly instruct their Assets to follow the instruction of their fellow heroes, and they would gladly avail their resources to the immediate need of their fellow heroes, all to the betterment of the party! After all, they have all spent equal (mostly) time in the battlefield, building fame and fortune, to be shared amongst their company!

And to be sure, when one such hero might off down the river vanquishing evil, or down meadowlane on a time sensitive dragon hunt, the other heroes would gladly ensure the mounts and companions of said hero are sufficiently care … and would naturally develop familiarities themselves with said mounts and companions. Lets face it, there is typically only ever a one-man-adventurer contract available at any given time, so the rest of the heroes need to keep themselves busy at home with something!

Does this not sound entirely possible, in the realms of fantasy and wonder? You bet your bottom dollar, it does!

So here is hoping that we can one day, very soon, see this reality in Neverwinter:
- an alt friendly environment;
- with shared riches;
- with shared items
(most of them … only one hero can adventure at a time after all …
but we do understand some magical items bind themselves to a preferred owner);
- with shared profession resources and assets;
- with shared stables (perhaps some are less amenable to a new owner);
- with shared companions (perhaps some are less social than others); and
- you get the picture!

A residency of some sort would be nice, of course, but not entirely necessary … a suitable account interface would be sufficient for us to imagine a spectacular mansion on the hillside, horses and fantastical beasts roaming across the grounds, the sound of mallets and grindstone shaping metal, the occasional explosion from the whacky alchemists out back, the laughter and song from happy companions reveling in their spare time, and the sellsword looking all exasperated again … why aren’t we fighting?!?

Comments

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Within my past gaming/writing two of my characters are related. One is half-elf. The other doesn't have enough elf blood in him to qualify. After that, they all sort of know each other.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • mousebreaker85#4641 mousebreaker85 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    lol I wrote in a character history on mine that says they were all in a street urchin gang of pick pockets and sneak thieves and when arrested by SGt. Knox he brought them to a Neverwinter orphanage where they were raised and loved by a kind half orc nun Sister Grimble
    She was killed in a alley by the forces of evil
    The pack of children known as the dirty dozen vowed revenge and took to vanquishing the evil in Neverwinter by learning trades of Thier respective classes.
    .......but they still can't share a bag or mount because of BtC BoP
    So would be nice..
  • vida44vida44 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 667 Arc User
    Nicely worded. Give us a way to House all our character. Meaning, to share stuff. Make the game alt friendly. Some stuff we get, they have to be bound to character, but why can't we share mounts? We all come from the same house. If my CW woke earlier he gets to pick the mount to ride, or outfit to wear...or other stuff.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Because the half-orc would never fit into the halfling's clothes.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    No, I don't think of my characters as related. It's just a bit to meta for me. And I find most players who play their alts as some big extended family as annoying to deal with.

That said, I'm all for game play mechanics that make playing alts less frustrating. I just fail to see why the request and argument needs to be tied up with RP and lore reasons. Give us tools, just don't dictate how we should all use them. The suggestion would of been better if the OP had just presented their list and left out the opening 4 paragraphs.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    I'd like to have companions that looked like my other characters lol.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • mousebreaker85#4641 mousebreaker85 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    Lol wow ..
    If dude wants to add a little immersion and RP good for him it's what D&D was made for.Those that don't that's cool too I think we knew what he was talking about with BoC and BoP on the same account is getting difficult for those of us with 7+ alts.
    Kids are just too Emo these days
  • safespacecadet#3341 safespacecadet Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    No, some of my characters hate each other. They don't like to share either. They are stingy jerks.