test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bonding runestones: why is health not transferrred?

nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
I found out that health is not transferred from the companions.
Is this a bug that is going to be fixed?

Otherwise it makes all the HP companion gear rather pointless.
Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!

Comments

• Options
    ltsmithnekoltsmithneko Member Posts: 1,578 Arc User
    Simply because if there HP transferred to you you'd be more un-killable than you are now. :P
  • Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    Working as Intended (tm).

(Perhaps the HP on the comp gear is for augments, the latter which transfer HP?)

• Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Since it seems they will not be introducing additional boon plots in Stronghold any time soon (I lack the HP Boon), I will join the chorus and also call it a BUG.

For purely selfish reasons.

Edit: On second thought, it would not accomplish what I need so now, I really do not care...again for selfish reasons...lol
    Post edited by niadan on
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    Yeah why not, the devs like to call long accepted norms 'bugs' when it suits ;)
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User

It seems that they once thought HP through bondings was OP. Then they add an HP SH boon and 50k HP chests. It is time to fix this, I am now calling it, bug. :smile:

Here's a thought: I would guess it's difficult to separate summoned companion's "base" HP from "bonus" HP that is granted by the gear companion is wearing. It would be pretty clearly imbalanced if _all_ of the companion's HP is transferred, which is why they likely made it that _none_ of it is transferred.

Augments don't have HP, so letting HP transfer results in just gear HP being transferred, which is reasonable.

I love how folks think of sinister explanations for things that are really likely technical limitations.
  • Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    I just assumed that they don't transfer HP because your companion can die and cause you to lose that HP whereas augments are more reliable.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    Not sure why it'S OK to transfer a crapton of power but not the HP.
    If I slot a azure into a defense slot it transfers,
    if slotted a radiant it doesn't. This makes no sense to me.
    Especially in the days of 200k+ HP.
  • Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    edited April 2017

Not sure why it'S OK to transfer a crapton of power but not the HP.
    If I slot a azure into a defense slot it transfers,
    if slotted a radiant it doesn't. This makes no sense to me.
    Especially in the days of 200k+ HP.

Like I pointed out, I'm nearly certain that it's a technical limitation because the system can't distinguish between the companion's "base" HP and any "bonus" HP from gear. If it transferred all of a companion's HP, we would be getting nearly 100K HP from bondings (more for legendary if you stacked HP). It would completely break the game.

Augments have a base of like 10HP per rank for a max of 400HP at legendary... which _is_ transferred. Combat companions have _much_ more than that.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Initially augments didn't transfer HP either but this was changed after a few mods. It's possible that something special had to be coded for augments and that this didn't get applied to bondings when they arrived in mod 4.

My guess is that it is WAI for balance reasons, though nothing about bondings is really balanced...
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    How wold you implement it? After the proc you gain 150k HP? If bondings proc runs out, you lose 150k HP, so if your HP is under 150k after the fight you die?

HP is just a stat, but the mechanic would be much more complicated, then with power etc.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    in a game where the badies deal 500k or more damage I think it is OK to have 150k HP transferred from your pet.
    150k HP is equivalent to approx. 37k power, no one complains about 37k power transfer.
  • Options
    forumnamesuxsforumnamesuxs Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 490 Arc User
    When you are damaged (a certain amount?), and lower your max HP, the game removes lost HP's, so if you have 1k HP's left, then remove SH HP boon, you don't die.
    You can't use this to heal though, because when you reactivate the boon, it's added to your lost HP pool.
    I've not tested how consistent this behavior is.

Also: you do get HP from summoned comp if you have a legendary comp, so if it adds HP beyond base HP, HP gear isn't completely useless.
    At least I think that's what happens. All I know for certain is that I have more max HP's with comp summoned.
    Wolves, big as a horse! I need new pants!

• Options
    edited April 2017
    asterotg said:

How wold you implement it? After the proc you gain 150k HP? If bondings proc runs out, you lose 150k HP, so if your HP is under 150k after the fight you die?

HP is just a stat, but the mechanic would be much more complicated, then with power etc.

Most probably in exaclty the same as tempHP. It's a buffer for damage.
    TempHP can run out, the same way as companion transferred HP can run out.

• Options
    ravenskyaravenskya Member Posts: 1,891 Arc User
    So wait... if you have say 100k HP (I'm making up easy numbers) and lets say you get 35k HP from your pet putting you at 135K while pet is active... lets say you are in a battle that's not going well and you take a massive hit and drop to 25K HP AND your pet takes the hit as well (think an orcus swing) and dies. The loss to the HP would put you at minus 10K hp, so you would instantly die?

I could see where HP from pets would be a double edged sword for sure.
    Founding Member of "Wrong Side of the Stronghold"
    Ravenskya - TR / Krisha Chaos - OP / Waffles - GF / Dex Domitor - HR
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

• Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Companion's Gift doesn't go away when the pet goes down. It lasts for 30 seconds IIRC, by which time the pet will have gotten back up and refreshed it. Regardless, as Tooth said, removing HP boon won't kill you as it is adjusting the Max HP and leaving the remaining HP alone.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    ravenskyaravenskya Member Posts: 1,891 Arc User
    Ahhh.... Okay - I forgot all about the delay
    Founding Member of "Wrong Side of the Stronghold"
    Ravenskya - TR / Krisha Chaos - OP / Waffles - GF / Dex Domitor - HR
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

• Options
    The point of my previous comment, was that HP from companion's gift would probably behave the same way.
    At least from my experience, all sources of temp max HP does. Summoned comp bonus, overloads, HP boon are the ones I've tried to observe, but like I said, I've done no thorough testing on the subject, because it just doesn't interest me that much tbh. :)

• Options
    There are classes that benefit from critical, so players try to transfer their crit from the pet.
    It would be nice if the same could be done with classes that benefit from HP.
  • Options
    waywardwizard#4349 waywardwizard Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Аccording to a paladin in my guild HP is in fact transferred via bondings. In battle the op in question goes from 180k base to 250k HP. I haven't seen it personally but I have no reason to doubt the player.

My OP on the other hand gets power and crit from the pet since I much prefer to generate massive temp health in battle.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Hm. Looks like I need to do some tests on this after all. Last time I had a look at bondings and HP's, at least HP from radiant in defense wasn't transferring to me. Perhaps they bugged or changed it, or the HP's must be a part of the gear stats?

• Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    Maybe once we are all GS of 10K+ from mod 11b the devs can spend some time on tweaking companions and bonding and how they work.

1) Companion level
    2) Bonding Stones
    3) Augment companion stats
    4) Etc...

With the way the devs are making the game, we may see more stats, not less, from our companions.

• Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    When bondings first came out, I'm pretty sure it was pre-mod6, when we all had like 40 or 50k max hp. And maybe rnk 12s were still 300 stats..?

At that point in the game, adding a significant chunk of hp would probably have ruined the balance of mob damage vs. players, so I guess it is and has always been, wai.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    jaegernljaegernl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 455 Arc User
    There were no R12's back then ;)
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Protection Paladin
    Aurelius the Awkward - Level 70 Pathfinder Ranger
    We have looked into reports of players experiencing connection problems and have been unable to identify any server, data center, or client-side issues. We believe this may be ISP related.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    the savages in my companion defense slots feel wasted indeed :(
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    jaegernl said:

There were no R12's back then ;)

Lol yeah derp. Anyway, you know what I mean.
    rayrdan said:

the savages in my companion defense slots feel wasted indeed :(

Meh, sell them, swap them out for darks or silveries or whatever. You'll probably have some ad leftover too. Win-win.

No idea what my toon is now.