test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Eye of the Giant vs Wheel of Elements

coldbeer#1097 coldbeer Member Posts: 36 Arc User
The wheel give me 30 % bonus damage as fire for 28 seconds, but it is a pain to fire a second one in combat against bosses and some mobs. The eye, if used against min 5 enemies, give 10% power, 20% damage resistance, 25% more speed and 75% increase in size. Does anyone use the eye and can tell me how is compared to the wheel? Ty

Comments

• Options
    blur#5900 blur Member Posts: 490 Arc User
    Wheel fire buff is by far most powerful and hard usage is probably a way to compensate it for being so strong. Other option for primary is DC Sigil. Eye of the Giant cant compete with Wheel and Sigil but if u dont want those its a good 3rd option. I guess Eye could be nice when combined with Artificers Persuasion and Coastal Flail Snail ability so u would have a mix of Wheel and Sigil, damage boost+ap gain, havent tested it tho.
  • Options
    coldbeer#1097 coldbeer Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    Thank you for input. I usually ”glue” myself to dragon type enemies like Lostmauth, for example and it”s a pain to chase the fire around him while trying to dodge fireballs and meteors, so i was thinking maybe the eye it is a better alternative to the wheel.
  • Options
    sirjimbofrancissirjimbofrancis Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    In single targets, like Lostmauth, the eye would be even less effective granting you only +5% power. I don't know if it works off base or buffed power, but even if it is buffed power and you have 80,000 power, it would only amount to +4000 power, which at that level only gives you 3.34% more damage. When compared to +30% damage, it just isn't even close.
    Lilia Drakon - PVE Executioner TR
    She Looked Lvl 18

Here is my Blog
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Not a TR, but have the same issues, have a mythic wheel, but found it always to be a huge pain in the HAMSTER.

1) someone else pops one, and you run into the wrong buff, and you can't pop your own because cd icon etc.
    2) you pop it, shift, and argh, relic weapons on defence mode.
    3) you pop it, walk slowly thru the right buff but argh, all the mobs are already dead because gwf.

Now have mythic giant eye. Cons: as said, not as bigger buff, shorter duration.

Pros:

1) fire and forget. No HAMSTER ing about necessary.
    2) situationally amazing, pop it in cn when there are a bazillion mobs, it crits, everything is dead.
    3) you are now a giant, and an athlete, running to the next bunch of mobs is easy.
    4) someone else always has a wheel, and you can grab an extra buff.

About the only time I have my wheel slotted now is orcus, unless it's one of those groups where orcus dies in seconds, or the turtle boss in fbi.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    sirjimbofrancissirjimbofrancis Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    jonkoca said:

2) situationally amazing, pop it in cn when there are a bazillion mobs, it crits, everything is dead.

Even if you hit 5 things, at 40,000 power, it will give you +5% more damage. At 60,000 power, it will give you +6% damage. At 80,000 power, it will give you +6.67% damage. And, the buff doesn't last as long.

Not that you aren't right that occasionally someone pops their wheel next to you and you end up with a useless speed bonus, or you pop your wheel and someone else gets your fire. But, most of the time, especially if you jump forward and pop the wheel in the air so you land on the fire, you get your fire and take advantage of a much much larger boost to damage.

It's cool, getting large and all, but the buff is relatively puny compared to the wheel. Even if you lose your fire 1 out of every 3 times you pop it, you are better off with the wheel.
    Lilia Drakon - PVE Executioner TR
    She Looked Lvl 18

Here is my Blog
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    Not in aoe running lightning.
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    If there are more than 5 mobs, the giant eye adds its own attack, a lightning storm or something, and that's what crits and blows up all the mobs, while you can just stand there, looking huge and cool.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    B)
  • Options
    seekandestroi#7276 seekandestroi Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited March 2017
    I have read and appreciate all the opinions and the arguments for both sides. The wheel gives a better damage buff when used that is obvious. But the time it takes to find the buff for the second, third... use and hope no one else takes it or you don't accidentally get the wrong one is the one of the reasons I am going with the Eye. As a TR melee damage it just makes the most sense. Ranged would have a much easier time and they don't need as much defensive stats. Beside the fact the base stats are better for me with the Eye, I use it to keep my ArmPen and CritChance where I want them to be, the Defense is nice as well. The coolness factor also goes to the Eye, being large is just fun. The wheel is good but with all the losses I see happening in groups it definitely will not give you that much more damage. And I know dps in this game doesn't worry about defense and dies repeatedly because of this, but staying alive through battles is pretty important. Defense and Damage resistance increases are majorly important to dpsing. The Eye wins in that category since you will get all that extra damage by staying alive while the wheel wielder is more apt to die and will be running back to the battle or waste the time of other group members while rezzing. This is not meant to put any opinions down, but there is more to being a good dps character then just how much damage you can do. Keeping other stats up to be a better part of a group is very important.
  • Options
    yopukoyopuko Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    Something I've learned to do with the Wheel of Elements is to fire it head-on into a wall of some sorts - it automatically grants you fire and you dont have to chase it or pause a second to pick it up. Any kind of wall or boundary works.

Personally though I run both the Eye and the Wheel. If its smaller quicker dungeons like etos, mc, vt etc etc or solo play - I always use the eye, its so much easier and more safe to cast.

I only use fire on higher-tier dungeons like Spellplague or FBI where DPS is important. But depending on the situation, if casting Wheel looks too much of a risky job or just not a great idea, I just switch. I'd rather have something I can always use instead of something I cant use or can only use on rare occassions. Plus with Artificers Persuasion the buff adds up to end up not being all bad in the end anyway.

Got both at mythic, love having the option to switch between them whenever
    Discord - Enyolius | IGN - Enyo @ Yopuko (NWPC)