test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

(PC PVE) Basic Ability Information:

thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
edited November 2017 in Guides
Credits:

@chemodan007 for sharing his own testing of hr, which I used to check mine. He had also already found values for clear the ground which I was missing and pointed out that hawk shot has a maximum (which I didn't notice.) He also pointed out the seeker's vengeance offhand. He also pointed out that Plant growth has a 0th rank.
@gylnar killed me a few times to test gloaming cut.
@michela123 corrected my test for Thorn Strike and pointed out inconsistencies with Clear the Ground and Cold Steel Hurricane. Also pointed out I was missing the third hit of Rapid Strike. Also pointed out the second hit of Relentless Avenger was missing. Also pointed out the values for Flame Strike and Divine Glow were incorrect and that Brood of Hadar's AoE splash damage was missing.
@micky1p00 provided the original formula I used to do this test, as well as suggested methods to get more accurate results.
@rjc9000 pointed out I missed 2 GF at wills plus indomitable strength and was the pedantic person who noticed that not all classes use strength for their damage bonus. Tested Supremacy of Steel.
An unmentioned credit, to the people who helped with Level Based Weapon Damage. You know who you are.

Explanation:

Recently, fixed damage weapons were provided to us on preview. This made it possible to test how damage and healing scales, at a fundamental level, far more accurately and easily than before. This thread explains at a basic level, how all skills function. The complete function for damage is as follows:

(Credits to @micky1p00 for providing this picture, please note, not all classes use strength.)

This thread focuses on this part:

(Level Based Weapon Damage+Weapon Damage)*Ability Coefficient*Skill Type Bonus*Rank Modifier

The Level Based Weapon Damage is determined by 2 things primarily, the first being the level of your character and the second is your class. The exception is HR, where they have a different Level Based Weapon Damage depending on stance and GWF, which has a different number for some skills. The skill Type Bonus is a multiplier that is dependent on the skill type. At wills are multiplied by 1, Encounters are multiplied by 3 and daily powers are multiplied by 5. Here is a list of all coefficients for each class at level 70:
  1. CW: 144.42482
  2. DC: 144.42482
  3. GF: 173.309784
  4. GWF: 173.309784
  5. HR (Melee Stance): 86.65489
  6. HR (Ranged Stance): 144.42482
  7. OP: 173.309784
  8. SW: 144.42482
  9. TR: 86.65489
The Ability Coefficient is unique to each skill, a complete list of all coefficients can be found here and this is a summary of the information in the main sheet which is easier to use.

The Rank Modifier is different per skill and is denoted in that document as, "Rank Type Bonus."

It has the general form of ((1-Rank Bonus)+Rank Bonus*Rank)

For example, if a skill gains 10% damage per rank, the formula is: ((1-0.1)+Rank*0.1)

Using this information, it is possible to calculate the tooltips (and actual damage/healing dealt) for abilities before any other bonuses are applied. For example, if we look at a CW with the following stats:

and 1 rank in disintegrate.

The test orb has 1000 fixed damage, so it always does a roll of 1000.

If we take the values from the spreadsheet we get the following:

(144.425+1000)*3*1.09(Because our character has 19 int.) = 3742.26975

The actual damage dealt is:

The final value at the end is the value before the mobs DR is applied.

Bugs Features and Notable Exceptions:
  1. The tooltip for the minimum value of Scorching Burst is incorrect.
  2. The tooltip for disintegrate is incorrect, the way it works is it adds (2.6+Rank*0.4)*Weapon Damage off tab and (4.6+Rank*0.4)*Weapon Damage on tab. That extra value is not modified by the 1.15 rank bonus and is the damage dealt when the target is on low enough HP. It is modified by buffs however. It is worth noting it is supposed to be 4.8 and 2.8 and not 2.6 and 4.6, but oh well, poor tooltips.
  3. If storm spell procs off an entity, it does not have Level Based Weapon Damage.
  4. The tooltip for bastion of health counts 3x the initial heal and 6x the HoT, for whatever reason.
  5. The tooltip for Healing Word counts 3x the initial heal and 6x the HoT.
  6. The Level Based Weapon Damage for Indomitable Strength and Hidden Daggers is 207.572 for some reason.
  7. I can only get Come and Get It to deal damage from Punishing Charge.
  8. Bear Trap uses 144.425 for Level Based Weapon Damage despite being a Melee Power.
  9. Aimed Shot and Thorn Ward use 86.655 for Level Based Weapon Damage despite being ranged powers.
  10. Cold Steel Hurricane has no Level Based Weapon damage.
  11. Cordon of Arrows and Plant Growth have a rank 0, unlike other skills.
  12. Valorous Strike and Oath Strike Deal 20% more damage than the tooltip states.
  13. Cleansing Touch Heals for 8.6% more than the tooltip states.
  14. Most OP Skills have no tooltips, I suppose this is probably for the best.
  15. The damage bonus for Smite also increases the heal component.
  16. The damage bonus for Accursed Souls also boosts the heal component.
  17. Tab Curse Boosts Curse Bite's damage by 30%, not 20%.
  18. The Soul Link component of Warlock's Bargain deals a hidden tick of damage which does not scale with Rank.
  19. The heal component of the Soul Link from Warlock's Bargain scales incorrectly and gains 65% healing at rank 2, a further 75% healing at rank 3 and another 85% healing at rank 4, for a total multiplier of 3.25.
  20. The maximum value for the tooltip of Killing Flames is incorrect.
  21. Smoke Bomb has a damage range with fixed damage weapons.
  22. The tooltip for the extra damage on Gloaming Cut as the target's HP diminishes is wrong. It actually starts at 5% and gains 20% per rank, rather than starting at 20% and gaining 5% per rank.
How to test this:

The first thing you need to do is note your attribute bonuses, so you can factor them out. If you are testing a heal, then whatever attribute boosts your healing needs to be factored out and if you are testing a damaging encounter, then whatever boosts your damage needs to be factored out.

Example:

Dexterity is a HR's damage attribute. With 19 Dexterity, there is a 9% damage boost, or a multiplier of 1.09.

You also need to use a weapon with fixed damage, these can be found on preview, in the Wondrous Bazaar. Make sure when testing this your character has no gear on.

In this example, we will find the values using Careful Attack. With Careful Attack at rank 3, there should be a 1.2 multiplier for Careful Attack. To make sure of this, you need to get a hit at each rank to ensure they are increasing by 10% each rank. In this example, we will work with rank 3 careful attack. You need 1 hit with and without your weapon on. To get a value without your weapon on, apply careful attack in melee stance with the fixed damage weapons, switch stance, remove your daggers and get 1 hit with a bow. Since Careful Attack scales off your melee weapon and not your ranged weapon, you now got a value without weapon damage.

Example:

The value 639.6 was with the fixed damage weapon and the value 51 was without it. To get the exact values, right click on either of those entries and press, "select this action in view logs."

Example:

Now, copy these exact values down and head over to here:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/widgets/view.jsp?id=ae438682ce61743f90d4693c497621b7

Input the following:

Equation #1: (X+1000)*Y*1.09*1.2=639.605
Equation #2: X*Y*1.09*1.2=51.0051

You should then get these results:

Since you are simply solving an equation, it is fairly easy to get these values. To check these values, now stick on any weapon of your choice (that doesn't have power to make it easier) and now substitute in the values you have, but with a new weapon damage, to check the range matches.

I have since added skill base CDs to this spreadsheet, so here is a cursory explanation of how recharge speed increase works.

Recharge Speed Increase:

Different sources of recharge speed increase add together. The final CD of your skill is determined by the base CD divided by the sum of all recharge speed increase bonuses. For example if you have 10% recharge speed increase from attributes and 2000 recovery, a skill with a 20 second CD will have a CD of:

20/(1+0.1+0.1) = 16.6666666667

Post edited by thefabricant on

Comments

• Options
    tom#6998 tom Member Posts: 952 Arc User
    Very great work as always :)
  • Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    Talks about healing, misses how Incoming Healing + Lifesteal works.

jkjk mad scientist, great work as per usual.

• Options
    rjc9000 said:

Well @rjc9000 I did include the healing bonus from attributes when testing healing, but I was excluding stats (power, incoming healing, lifesteal etc) as these are the basic mechanics of each skill, not their interactions with everything.
  • Options
    chemodan007chemodan007 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    Thanks! Great work!
    Drider
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    Awesome work. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    jaegernljaegernl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 455 Arc User
    Most OP Skills have no tooltips, I suppose this is probably for the best.
    Reported for Dev bashing.
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Protection Paladin
    Aurelius the Awkward - Level 70 Pathfinder Ranger
    We have looked into reports of players experiencing connection problems and have been unable to identify any server, data center, or client-side issues. We believe this may be ISP related.
  • Options
    rsdagrsdag Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Once again, thank you for the great work (especially for the "how to test" part.)

Dagor Naresgal - CW
  • Options
    treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    Great work, it would be awesome if whoever initially made https://nwcalc.com/#/ actualized it with this, we probably wont ever see the true functionallity of the powers in ingame tooltips and that site is praticly equal :/
    rjc9000 said:

Praticly everything multiplicative, LS severity and Incoming Healing bonuses, i dont know how LS severity interacts with all the Incoming healing bonuses or if it does with all but as far as i know, if you life steal and have no incoming healing bonus your ls is base damage*lssev1*lssev2*lssev3..... and in the oposite side if you have no severity base damage*incheal1*incheal2*incheal3.....

• Options
    Added Indomitable Strength, Aggravating Strike and Shield Slam. Thanks to @rjc9000 for pointing them out.
  • Options
    Updated the DC page for the DC changes.
  • Options
    fizgigtiznalkie#4436 fizgigtiznalkie Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    @thefabricant

This makes perfect sense to me in some cases, but in other cases, I can't quite figure it out why something with a similar coefficient has drastically different damage. Sudden storm does much less damage than disintegrate, even factoring in the bonus type and focused wizardy it doesn't cover the damage difference. A GWF in our guild also is trying to figure out indomitable battle strike and crescendo, even with executioner's style it doesn't seem to cover the gap in indomitable battle strike being a ton better than crescendo.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Sharp, it seems that the second hit of Indomitable Strength (GF) is missing the Rank bonus astricks.

• Options
    luks707luks707 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    @fizgigtiznalkie#4436 the reason sudden storm doesn't work is because it is bugged unfortunately. We've done a bit of testing in our guild and have been shocked to see that a paragon power like that just doesn't do what it is meant to.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

@thefabricant

This makes perfect sense to me in some cases, but in other cases, I can't quite figure it out why something with a similar coefficient has drastically different damage. Sudden storm does much less damage than disintegrate, even factoring in the bonus type and focused wizardy it doesn't cover the damage difference. A GWF in our guild also is trying to figure out indomitable battle strike and crescendo, even with executioner's style it doesn't seem to cover the gap in indomitable battle strike being a ton better than crescendo.

@fizgigtiznalkie#4436 this analysis is comparing them without buffs, with buffs taken into account the picture may look very different. In the case of disintegrate vs sudden storm though, if we just look at FW+Rank 4:

SS:
    3*1.3*0.9=3.51

Dis:
    3*1.45*1.3=5.655

Which is a substantial difference, dealing 61% more damage just off those 2 differences alone.
    rjc9000 said:

Sharp, it seems that the second hit of Indomitable Strength (GF) is missing the Rank bonus astricks.

fixed @rjc9000.

I also added the base cd for every skill that has a cd, removed the second blitz and disruptive shot is no longer an encounter.
  • Options

I also added the base cd for every skill that has a cd, removed the second blitz and disruptive shot is no longer an encounter.

Much appreciated!

I'm wondering if I should try to calculate AP Gain or simply wait for you to calculate AP Gain so I can cite you a million times on that thing I'm working on.

(If you're wondering, it was approaching somewhere near completion, but then my laptop's hard drive broke and the file was un-recoverable, so... I only have a partially finished version).

• Options
    rjc9000 said:

Much appreciated!

I'm wondering if I should try to calculate AP Gain or simply wait for you to calculate AP Gain so I can cite you a million times on that thing I'm working on.

(If you're wondering, it was approaching somewhere near completion, but then my laptop's hard drive broke and the file was un-recoverable, so... I only have a partially finished version).
    @rjc9000 I won't promise anything with regards to AP gain, i'll soon (tm) that and say if I test it, it isn't in the near future (I have 2 or 3 other projects I want to deal with first.)
  • Options
    fizgigtiznalkie#4436 fizgigtiznalkie Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited May 2017

In the case of disintegrate vs sudden storm though, if we just look at FW+Rank 4:

SS:
    3*1.3*0.9=3.51

Dis:
    3*1.45*1.3=5.655

That makes more sense for the damage difference but I must be reading the formula wrong, this is the way I read it.

SS = coef * (0.9 + rank * 0.1 damage per rank)
    = 3 * (.9 + (4 * .1))
    = 3 * 1.3 = 3.9

Dis = coef * (0.85 + rank * 0.15 damage per rank)
    = 3 * (.85 + (4 * .15))
    = 3 * (.85 + .6)
    = 3 * 1.45 = 4.35

Where do the .9 and 1.3 in the third part of the formula come from @thefabricant ?
  • Options

In the case of disintegrate vs sudden storm though, if we just look at FW+Rank 4:

SS:
    3*1.3*0.9=3.51

Dis:
    3*1.45*1.3=5.655

That makes more sense for the damage difference but I must be reading the formula wrong, this is the way I read it.

SS = coef * (0.9 + rank * 0.1 damage per rank)
    = 3 * (.9 + (4 * .1))
    = 3 * 1.3 = 3.9

Dis = coef * (0.85 + rank * 0.15 damage per rank)
    = 3 * (.85 + (4 * .15))
    = 3 * (.85 + .6)
    = 3 * 1.45 = 4.35

Where do the .9 and 1.3 in the third part of the formula come from @thefabricant ?
    Focused wizardry. Sudden Storm is an AoE (gets reduced by 10%) and Disintegrate is a single target (gets multiplied by 1.3)
  • Options
    vorici2vorici2 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    This guide is awesome, but... I can't resist... anymore... please... check all the... capital letters...
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    vorici2 said:

This guide is awesome, but... I can't resist... anymore... please... check all the... capital letters...

I will see if I can convince @michela123 to do it for me :P
    Post edited by thefabricant on
  • Options
    masterogamasteroga Member Posts: 474 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Crescendo on GWF's says 12% on the tooltip. That wrong?
  • Options
    masteroga said:

Crescendo on GWF's says 12% on the tooltip. That wrong?

@masteroga no it is not and in the offline version of this document it was recorded as 12%, at some stage I probably copy pasted an asterisk there by mistake and didn't notice. Thanks for picking that up.
  • Options
    Sharp, Thorn Ward ticks 13 times.

And for Clear the Ground, are the "minmum/maximum" hits are stand in for the first/third hits, or are they actually accounting for the minimum/maximum distances?

And how would I account for the distance scaling, if, say, I attack my target at point blank range?

• Options
    rjc9000 said:

Sharp, Thorn Ward ticks 13 times.

And for Clear the Ground, are the "minmum/maximum" hits are stand in for the first/third hits, or are they actually accounting for the minimum/maximum distances?

And how would I account for the distance scaling, if, say, I attack my target at point blank range?

@rjc9000 for clear the ground those are the 3 separate hits it does. Point blank you multiply by 1.3, at maximum range you multiply by 1, I have not tested how it scales between those values however.

Also, you are correct about the number of ticks on thorn ward, the way it works is it ticks (5+rank*2) times, so at rank 1 it ticks 7 times, rank 2 9, rank 3 11, etc.
  • Options
    michela123michela123 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    I think the coefficient of Relentless Avenger on secondary targets is missing.
  • Options

I think the coefficient of Relentless Avenger on secondary targets is missing.

Fixed, thanks.
  • Options
    Sharp, does the canceled attack of Supremacy of Steel (the one which looks like Whirlwind of Blades) have an ability coefficient?

• Options
    Oi, Sharp, you forgot the Supremacy of Steel (canceled) ability coefficient (I checked this because of one of that upcoming project and because you hadn't done it..).

It should be 2.40, according to my math/hand testing. Here is the data in the event you'd like to check my math:

Exact Damage: 3807.16

Uses (0.9 +0.1 *Ability Rank), so in this case, 1.4 is our rank bonus

Lvl70 GF Level Base, 1000 damage via fixed damage weapon, and 1.04 for ability bonus due to 14 STR .
    I assure you I had no feats or boons equipped, although the "Featless IV" is probably a misnomer...

Math:
    Ability Damage = (Lvl Base + Wpn Damage) * (1+ ([STR-10]/100)) * (Ability Coefficient) * (Rank Bonus)
    3807.16 = (173.31 + 1,000) * (1 + [(14-10)/100]) * (?) * (0.9 + 0.1 * 4.0)
    3807.16 = 1173.31 * (1.04) * (1.3) * ?
    2.40 =?

• Options
    dyukillerdyukiller Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    great job
    Post edited by dyukiller on