Install Arc

Damage Reduction Cap?

bigrong49#7420 bigrong49 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
edited February 2017 in The Guard Barracks
Is there a cap of damage reduction?

Breakdown:

Companions of interest are Sergeant Knox and Rust Monster
Gear set is Valhalla

Unbuffed Deflect is 34.5% and Damage Resistance is capped. The goal of this build for my friend is to maximize pre-mitigated damage with damage reduction, mitigate max damage with capped DR, and half post-mitigated damage as often as possible with deflect (also using pure shadowclad).

Sergeant Knox ability reduces all incoming damage by 33%, the rust monster can debuff an attacker's damage by 15% and with max stacks the valhalla set reducing incoming damage by 15% for 6 seconds. In addition the relic weapon set will reduce incoming damage by 10% while blocking. That gives a grand total of 73% reduced damage in a perfect scenario, with 27% of the damage potentially cut in half with a successful deflection.

Questions:
Is there a cap preventing 73% damage reduction?

Do Valhalla stacks act independently, meaning each stack has its own timer? Example: If I have 5 stacks, after 6 seconds is one stack removed or are all stacks removed?

When attacks are deflected at 50% deflect severity is deflected damage reflected back to the attacker in PVE or PVP?

Are there any companions which increase the deflect chance of the player?

@thefabricant if anyone would have data on this it would be you, i hope.

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE FEEDBACK!

Comments

• chemodan007chemodan007 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    Debuff damage are not summ (+).

Formula for debuff damage:
    DamageAfter = DamageBefore/(1+SumDebuffs)
    Example: TR daily Courage Breaker.

And the other formula
    DamageAfter = DamageBefore*(1-Debuff1)*(1-Debuff2)*(1-Debuff3)*...
    Example: Bane, Hunters Teamwork, Commanding Shot.

I have not tested all debuffs, so I can not give you a table with their classification.

The formula shows that it is impossible to reduce the damage on the enemy to zero. This function converging to zero, but does not reach zero.

Cap DR mitigation is 80%. But in addition to DR, there are other factors, such as shield GF (shift) 80% damage mitigation. And Deflection. It work like ReceivedDamage = EnemyDamage*(1-DR)*(1-ShieldGF)*(1-Deflection). [this formula for pve, in pvp a little more complicated formula]

Deflection do not reflected damage back to attacker, just mitigated.

Dancing Shield increase the deflect chance by 1%.
    Drider
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    As @chemodan007 has stated, enemies will deal damage, but it can be reduced to such a small amount via a combo of DR, Deflect, and any damage debuffs on target (which are multiplicative versus each other).

Valhalla sets, last I checked, were "all stacks refreshed". Ex: I have 4 stacks, I get hit again, I add another stack and refresh the stack timer.

Btw, if you're at the DR cap (seriously man, 115 is excessive, just get 95% DR), any hit on your shield will only hit for 4% of its total effectiveness, not counting other damage debuffs.

I would avoid the +Deflect chance companions, unless your build needs every % of Deflect it can get (for some reason).

(And where does Sgt. Knox reduce all incoming damage? Are you sure that's not just for the Knox companion?)

Btw @chemodan007, GF Shield is 80% damage mitigation, so that section with (1- GF Shift) should always be worth 0.2 (unless your stamina runs out).

In addition, I think that section with Deflection should actually read as (1- Deflection Severity), because Deflect chance has nothing to do with Deflect Severity (which is 50% for most classes and 75% for the TR. 100% from Shadow Demon is a bug).

And do you mind if I borrow that formula with the proper credit to you?

• bigrong49#7420 bigrong49 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

(And where does Sgt. Knox reduce all incoming damage? Are you sure that's not just for the Knox companion?)

Sgt Knox ability applies to player as far as we know, otherwise I wouldnt have hime spend 4 mill for it in AH. If you know otherwise please do tell.
    edited February 2017
    I have an interesting idea - to test whether it is possible to reduce the damage (by a debuff) enemies without HP. (for example: toxic puddles near dragon, sphere near Orcus, lava near Lostmauth, ghosts near Valindra etc.)
    But maybe someone already tested this?
    rjc9000 said:

If this question is for me, then of course use the formula as you wish :)
    Drider
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

I have an interesting idea - to test whether it is possible to reduce the damage (by a debuff) enemies without HP. (for example: toxic puddles near dragon, sphere near Orcus, lava near Lostmauth, ghosts near Valindra etc.)
    But maybe someone already tested this?

rjc9000 said:

If this question is for me, then of course use the formula as you wish :)
    Yeah, it's for you.

Try testing damage debuffs in the SH moat, as it too is another inanimate object which damages you.

• thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    @chemodan007 I don't know how you would apply a damage debuff to those puddles, but if you could it would be an interesting test XD

I do know that some of them do piercing damage, so DR won't mitigate those ones.

Also, to the OP, Feytouched is another damage debuff you should consider ^^
    Post edited by thefabricant on
    edited February 2017
    In pvp, piercing damage ignores deflection and resists (DR, Tenacity).

I've never tested the types of damage in pve.
    On the Hotenow I found a new type of damage. At least new to me xD. This damage type ignores my DR (~50%), but I can deflect it and block damage with shield. "Лава" is lava.

Don't know how is called this type of damage.

Frost damage in the Sea can be deflected? (I can't check it now, server went to maintenance work.)

I was not able to reduce the lava damage by using debuff (Valhalla set, Distracting Shield, Combat Superiority). But I couldn't hit the lava (in contrast to the poisonous puddles of the dragon, ghost in Valindra tower - i can hit them by 0 damage). Need to continue the tests xD.
    Drider
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    @rjc9000
    "Valhalla sets, last I checked, were "all stacks refreshed". Ex: I have 4 stacks, I get hit again, I add another stack and refresh the stack timer."
    ^This. My GF wears Valhalla and this is how it appears to stack/refresh. Works with KV.
    Good news: with KV, Valhalla is pretty much always on and stacked in large quantity mob fights (eg. EToS final boss) due to frequent hits/timer refresh.
    Bad news: It rarely stays stacked and may cool down in low quantity boss fights like Orcus... his hits are very hard but infrequently.
    @chemodan007
    "I was not able to reduce the lava damage by using debuff (Valhalla set, Distracting Shield, Combat Superiority). But I couldn't hit the lava (in contrast to the poisonous puddles of the dragon, ghost in Valindra tower - i can hit them by 0 damage."
    Also Castle Never 2nd boss (Illithilich) and his "tentacle puddles" , Svardborg's Hailstorms and I think EToS spiderweb traps take 0 damage GA reflection. I'm pretty sure I "gave 0 movement" with the GA Artifact OffHand power to one of those.
    Never bothered to track inanimate object data, but it's an interesting point.
    Are there are any AoE "splash" damage/healing effects, maybe like the DC's Burning Guidance, from a companion power?
    If so, and if it works w GA, hits on inanimate objects could cause extra "splash damage/heals"! That could be a useful strategy.
    Thanks for the equations and data @chemodan007.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.