test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bad Tooltips?

maatmonsmaatmons Member Posts: 58 Arc User
So, I've noticed mentions of some abilities not working as their tooltips would suggest. Has anyone written up a list of Guardian Fighter abilities that don't actually do what they say they do? I think that would be a really helpful mini-guide, if someone's willing to make it.

What I've come across so far:
  • Daunting Challenge: Reduces damage you take even though it says it doesn't.
  • Dungeoneering: Doesn't actually help you detect traps.
  • Iron Guard: Damage reduction doesn't increase with multiple stacks like it says it does.
  • Strength Focus: As of three years ago, doesn't actually affect anything but damage. Is this still the case?

Comments

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    maatmons said:

So, I've noticed mentions of some abilities not working as their tooltips would suggest. Has anyone written up a list of Guardian Fighter abilities that don't actually do what they say they do? I think that would be a really helpful mini-guide, if someone's willing to make it.

What I've come across so far:

• Daunting Challenge: Reduces damage you take even though it says it doesn't.
    • Dungeoneering: Doesn't actually help you detect traps.
    • Iron Guard: Damage reduction doesn't increase with multiple stacks like it says it does.
    • Strength Focus: As of three years ago, doesn't actually affect anything but damage. Is this still the case?
    I can name two off the top of my head.

United: Only gives you and your teammates 5% damage resistance. Furthermore, this bonus does not show up on your buffbar

Armor of Bahamut: EDIT: I dun goof'd. This following edit below is the correct way Armor of Bahamut works.

Armor of Bahamut Bonus DR= (1 - your DR) times 0.1.

So if you're currently at 50% DR, then

1 - 0.5 = 0.5.
    0.5 * 0.1= 0.05, or a 5% bonus DR from Armor of Bahamut.

Add this to your current DR..

0.5 + 0.05 = 0.55, or 55% DR.

(you'll notice that the tooltips of these two shoud be a damage mitigation source according to the tooltip, but are just DR bonuses in practice).

Strength Focus only seems to affect damage, atleast from my testing. (I haven't gotten around to testing stamina gain or DoT resistance).

On my Tactician setup, I am lazy and can't think of anything else which is useful enough to replace Strength Focus, so I will keep it until I test things for myself.
    Post edited by rjc9000 on

• maatmonsmaatmons Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    So, I just tested Battle Trample. It looks like it does not modify the damage of an attack. Instead, each time you attack, it deals its own separate instance of damage. This is listed in the log as “Trample the Fallen,” even though Trample the Fallen itself doesn't show up in the log aside from higher damage numbers.

Battle Trample seems to deal the same range of damage regardless of the power that triggered it, or your strength score. It is affected by Trample the Fallen though. When I tried it on Knee Breaker, it only activated once, instead of each time Knee Breaker dealt its recurring damage.
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    Another thing to add:

Michela's new damage debuff spreadsheet says that Surging Tide + Tide of Iron does work for your teammates, despite the tooltips saying it only works for you.