test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Best defensive enchant for combat pve.

brick#6890 brick Member Posts: 68 Arc User
Hello all in the wild! Been playing my GF since the launch on xbox.

Recently started playing a combat HR, tons of fun btw, as an alt.

My question is simple, what enchants should i use in my defensive slots?

I'm currently using azures for the added dr and buff to the assassin mount bonus.

But I'm not sure if I'd be better served going with more deflect or lifesteal?

So i ask the you guys, any advice? Thankful in advance for the help

Comments

• Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    I (used to) pvp a lot, so mine are all radiants. But as you say for assassin's, you may as well stack silveries or azures. Personally, i'd stack deflect and buy a shadow demon, (1 damage on successful deflect) which makes you pretty much immortal. Darks for lifesteal, but you can use a SH boon for that, or stack darks on your pet. Given all the dots we put out, you don't need a crazy lifesteal chance to make it work. I have 30%, but that's massive overkill.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    kydavi#1678 kydavi Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    I run heavy on darks; I keep AotLW slotted so I get around 40% before buffs and around 60% full up, so I dont need to hit up silvers. Combine the high lifesteal (20%+) w/ the feet for deflect heals and short of a massive one shot I an unkillable.
    kydavi

Main: Nidara Devilspawn- Ranger
    Alt: Aradin Coldblood- Fighter
    Alt: Lucrezia Vileborn- Warlock
  • Options
    artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    Hi,

I personaly have lifesteal (dark) in all defense enchantment slots.

I've never actually tried anything else so I cant really say weither it's the best choice or not.

What can I tell you, however, is that lifesteal is great and that the end result is that if the ennemies cannot kill me in less than 2 seconds they cant kill me at all.

That being said I still die every now and then in epic dungeons.

You already get a ton of deflect from aura of the lone wolf and other combat HR perks so I would suppose defense to be more useful if you dont want to go all into lifesteal but that's only speculation.
  • Options
    For pve paingiver chasing though, you really want to be tanky enough to survive without defensive class features, I slot serpents and aspect of the pack (at 3 btw. NOT 4), with pack feated on offhand.
  • Options
    Yeah, I had AotP at 4 before I heard about the bug...=(
    kydavi

• Options
    waywardwizard#4349 waywardwizard Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    I care too much about looks :smile:
    Negation is a popular choice among almost all classes including rangers but its ugly imo. Soulforged looks nice, Thunder looks awesome. Shadowclad is my current.
  • Options
    Ooh I hate fighting people with shadowclad.
  • Options
    brick#6890 brick Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    Is it a really good enchant for pvp? I currently use a pure on my gf for deflection damage procs, and it looks awesome
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    No, it's just amazingly irritating to play against. Elven is best for pvp imo, huge stamina gain, anti-freeze, and much less cc. Followed or equalled by negation, though for a trapper the recovery aspect is a waste, for combat, probably a plus..
  • Options
    lievcocijolievcocijo Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    for Defensive enchants you could try Viscious enchantment, but only if youre stacking int on multiple slots. It gives both Deflect and LS. If you stack it, the gain is better of each than pure Silvers or Dark. In my experience 20/25% lifesteal is enough to survive almost anything that isnt a one shot in PVE.

As for armor enchants, overall HR:If you had to choose, SF or negation?
  • Options
    Hmm, cheap and effective, soulforge, expensive but really useful in both pvp/pve negation.
  • Options
    A buddy of mine runs a Combat HR with a heavy focus on defense rather than life steal; he slots all azures in def slots, uses the guild defense boon, and sports the new Valhalla set for the AC and set bonus (reduce enemy damage per hit). I scoffed when he first showed it to me (HRs are supposed to be squishy after all), but I ran a couple of dungeons with him and it is surprisingly viable; he calls it his Tank Ranger, he makes up for the lack of life steal by slotting AotLW w/ Wilds Medicine.
    kydavi

• Options
    drederik#9449 drederik Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    I run Vicious at the moment but was thinking of moving to Black Ice or something. I have like 30 percent lifesteal but a ton of severity so like Jonkoca said, its a bit overkill. I can proc 250k lifesteals like candy and i only have 115k HP.

I am thinking also of getting a demon to make use of some of the deflect. What does everyone think of deflect? I know there are some out there that only really see it as a TR or PvP stat
  • Options
    Depends if you pvp. Combat HR can get insane deflection for very little actual deflect stat. Equalling a hefty chunk of effective DR, which cannot be reduced by enemy RI. Leaving you free to stack hitpoints to benefit from mount heals.

In PVE I rely on lifesteal, unless the party is a bit iffy, at which point I put on lonewolf and slot my demon, giving me 50% deflect chance, for 1 damage per deflect, = 50% effective DR. I stack deflect in my pet defence slots.

To be honest, your best defence is mobility and massive damage.
  • Options
    jonkoca said:

Depends if you pvp. Combat HR can get insane deflection for very little actual deflect stat. Equalling a hefty chunk of effective DR, which cannot be reduced by enemy RI. Leaving you free to stack hitpoints to benefit from mount heals.

In PVE I rely on lifesteal, unless the party is a bit iffy, at which point I put on lonewolf and slot my demon, giving me 50% deflect chance, for 1 damage per deflect, = 50% effective DR. I stack deflect in my pet defence slots.

To be honest, your best defence is mobility and massive damage.

I agree with the lifesteal bit as well. I do not pvp at all so this is entirely pve oriented. I am just wondering if the deflect on those vicious is not worth it. I am happy with where my lifesteal is currently (30 percent 115 severity) but was thinking the deflect might also help in those hairy situations. Coming from a trapper that was constantly bouncing around the room, not getting hit comes natural and is the best way to not die. We do live in a min/max world though and i would like to make the most of my defense enchants
  • Options
    patcherrkmpatcherrkm Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 127 Arc User
    Gigantic and soul forge for pve
  • Options
    Personally, I run darks for most, but on my body piece I wear soul forged and demonic (HP, deflect, life steal) just for variety.
    kydavi

• Options

Personally, I run darks for most, but on my body piece I wear soul forged and demonic (HP, deflect, life steal) just for variety.

Just out of curiosity, why the HP and not defense? I know there are a lot of people who say HP > Def but for that low of a bump, I would think that Def is better
  • Options
    I get enough def from my guild boon, other wise I would slot more for it.
    kydavi

• Options

I get enough def from my guild boon, other wise I would slot more for it.

ahh, i use the lifesteal guild boon, thats why i am trying to trade my vicious out for something with 3 points. just cannot decide if HP or defense is better