test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

10.5 Iron Vanguard DPS/Tank Build

This is an Iron Vanguard DPS Build that will still allow you to tank end game content. By abandoning the traditional logic that the Swordmaster is best DPS Paragon we replace the Steel Blitz Class Feature with Trample the Fallen and then further improve upon this class feature by choosing the Battle Trample Feat. We make up for our loss of Weapon Master Strike by Improving our Cleave with the Cruel Cut Style Feat and then empowering it with our artifact weapon ability. I don’t want to assert that this build is any more or less effective than any other builds. It should be considered instead, as a viable alternative to the plethora of Sword Master builds that have been recommended. Although this build is aimed primarily at DPS I have personally tanked CN and FBI without issue using this build and have recently successfully tanked the Dragon Turtle in FBI with no Healer. All that being said check it out at: Roys Iron Vanguard DPS Tank Build

Comments

• Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    I am interested in this build idea. I never had considered Knee Breaker as the activation for Trample in PvE.

I personally never found Survivor's Blessing to be useful, as it's related to a luck-based mechanic. I also found Barbarian's Revelry to be somewhat of a waste, as Barbarian's Revelry has an internal cooldown. I would personally take Protectors Friendship and Protector's Camraderie for the extra DR and extra Power.

Have you considered using Brutals for offense slots, for their mix of Power and Crit? Currently, on PC, Brutals are popular and are considered a BiS option for most DPS setups.

Likewise, for defensive slots, have you considered using Cruels (Defense/Deflect) or Black Ice enchantments (Defense/Deflect/Lifesteal) in your defense slots to compliment your Azures?

I am unsure as to why you suggest Enhanced Mark for an FBI setup. Since you're using the Combat Superiority offhand bonus, which generates extra aggro on targets painted with Superiority, why would you bother to use Enhanced Mark? (And you can't take the Enhanced Mark offhandbonus if you're currently using the Combat Superiority offhand bonus)

Technically speaking, the Orcus set is not a flat 20% damage bonus. It is a scaling damage bonus that depends on the difference in % of HP between you and your opponent. It will only be 20% if you are about to kill an enemy, or 20% if you are near death versus an opponent with full HP.

Another goof is that the ToD final boon for lifesteal actually gives 4%/5%/6% at 1/2/3 points invested respectively. However, due to Cryptic's questionable tooltip quality, this is not your fault.

I'm not sure if this is a goof on your part or not, but is it a mistake that you mention Crushing Pin when discussing Knee Breaker? Obviously, Knee Breaker is used for activating Trample, but you also mention that Crushing Pin is used to activate Crushing Pin. In your build, you're using Plate Agility, Shield Defense, and Fight On as your last 3 feats outside of Conqueror.

I overall like the concept, although I feel that not using Threatening Rush kind of butchers one of, if not the biggest appeal of IV (I know you're using it for the Trample).

• Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    I wouldn't bother with battle trample since it's on and off alot of the time, and on CC immune bosses it would do nothing.

Instead I would go with combat sup + shield warrior wrath for most conq tanks if you want to maximise your damage. But I understand why SSW won't be better (in easy dungeons where things will die/cced before they can even land a hit)

IF you really want to use battle trample, I would highly suggest trying some active companions that do aoe slows and see how that works out. Theres a few of them out there i believe?
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    ramshack#4594 ramshack Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

I'm not sure if this is a goof on your part or not, but is it a mistake that you mention Crushing Pin when discussing Knee Breaker? Obviously, Knee Breaker is used for activating Trample, but you also mention that Crushing Pin is used to activate Crushing Pin. In your build, you're using Plate Agility, Shield Defense, and Fight On as your last 3 feats outside of Conqueror.

Hey I actually offered to versions of the build, one with points in conqueror for lower geared players still having problems tanking and one with those points moved to the tactician tree for higher geared players that want to maximize dps.

But otherwise great feedback thank you for leaving such detailed feedback.

• Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    you'd get more survivability going 15 into tacitican for daunting challenge/stand united. or choose one of them and take crushing pin.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

rjc9000 said:

Hey I actually offered to versions of the build, one with points in conqueror for lower geared players still having problems tanking and one with those points moved to the tactician tree for higher geared players that want to maximize dps.

But otherwise great feedback thank you for leaving such detailed feedback.

Ah, part of me wasn't seeing the "DPS (feats)" and the "Tank (feats)" type headings.

• Options
    maatmonsmaatmons Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    The guide says to use Take Measure in the Conqueror tree, but your screenshots show zero points in it?

Edit:

So, I've recently started playing a Guardian Fighter. I was hoping to go Iron Vanguard, but had been worried because the two previous guides both went Swordmaster. This guide gave me the confidence to select Iron Vanguard yesterday when I hit level 30.

I do have some questions though.

I was really hoping to use Threatening Rush. Would it change things much if I swapped out Crushing Surge? If I have Threatening Rush, should I drop Lunging Strike from the solo DPS setup?

When Battle Trample and Steel Blitz say “x% weapon damage,” is that the damage that pops up in the tooltip when I mouse over my weapon? How is that related to the damage my powers deal?

So, Into the Fray applies the buffs to you too? Reading most group buffs, I can't figure out if the caster is affected.

grimah said:

you'd get more survivability going 15 into tacitican for daunting challenge/stand united. or choose one of them and take crushing pin.

I can't tell from the description of Stand United, does it affect you as well? Daunting Challenge says it doesn't reduce damage you take. When you say “survivability,” do you mean personal survivability or party survivability?

I run a similar IV build on PC (at least the idea of Knee Breaker coupled with KC + TtF & crushing pin as your top damage source).

What's “KC?”
    Post edited by maatmons on