test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

SOMI Fishing,, I still don't get it

mysteriasdrassamysteriasdrassa Member Posts: 299 Arc User
Is there anywhere that explains how SOMI fishing works? I mean,, I understand the whole, drop your rod and pull up a fish mechanics portion of it. What I don't get is things like,, what determins what fish you get,,, I have literally fished for HOURS and not pulled up one of the fancy guttable fish, or even map bottles, while my fiance trolls along pulling up bottles and guttable fish left and right,, and the few maps i do get just leads me to chests full of more fish, while she gets them full of refining stuff, etc,,, what gives?
I've also noticed the "wait" bar changes while waiting for a fish to take your bait,, sometimes it's fully dark grey,, sometimes it filled to different amounts with a lighter grey and sometimes it even flashes,,, whats up with that? is there something i'm missing?

Comments

• Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

Is there anywhere that explains how SOMI fishing works? I mean,, I understand the whole, drop your rod and pull up a fish mechanics portion of it. What I don't get is things like,, what determins what fish you get,,, I have literally fished for HOURS and not pulled up one of the fancy guttable fish, or even map bottles, while my fiance trolls along pulling up bottles and guttable fish left and right,, and the few maps i do get just leads me to chests full of more fish, while she gets them full of refining stuff, etc,,, what gives?
    I've also noticed the "wait" bar changes while waiting for a fish to take your bait,, sometimes it's fully dark grey,, sometimes it filled to different amounts with a lighter grey and sometimes it even flashes,,, whats up with that? is there something i'm missing?

Rarity is determined by several factors:

1) Where you fish.

There are fishing circles in the sea. This increases the chances of getting a rarer fish.

There are several online maps which detail these fishing circles as they are located on the in-game map.

2) Bait

(Sharkbait hoo-hah-hah!)

Use Krill, of which you get loads of from the daily Sea of Moving Ice quests. This alone massively increases the rarity of the fish you can get.

3) Pray

The RNG Goddess hates your guts.

_

The quality of the fish is determined by the Roman Number in the bar. I believe III is Green quality, IV is Blue quality, V is Purple. You can choose not to fish

If no number pops up/you get the message "there's no resistance...", you recieved a bottle.

I am no fishing expert, but this is what I know of getting good fish.

• Options
    yeah,,, i got all that down,, just hought there might be something i'm missing,,, i guess the mighty and powerful RNG gods do hate my guts,, lol
  • Options
    litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User
    The guttable fish only appear in certain fishing circles. Maps, only in any fishing circles. Did you complete any of the SoMI quests?
  • Options
    Yes.. I do know which holes have guttable fish, the currents, brackish, sea cave, etc, and I concentrate on those holes, and use krill,, but still even after hours of fishing, do I pull up a map or fish that I can gut,,, like said,, the RNG gods must truly hate me.... I've even got the 5 hour fishing achievement and my total of guttable fish is 3 and 6 maps... so yeah... they hate me :)
  • Options
    litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User

my total of guttable fish is 3 and 6 maps... so yeah... they hate me :)

I have literally fished for HOURS and not pulled up one of the fancy guttable fish, or even map bottles,

Two totally different statements, although I guess they can *technically* both be true. Saying the first one would have prevented a lot of 'are you fishing right?' advice.

The More You Know (sproing! Star!)

• Options
    sloppyoctopus#5563 sloppyoctopus Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    just keep at it. what i do is just fish for stacks of purples for keys in sva. wait til you get about 20 to 30 bottles, then open them all at once. you wont get fish every time. maybe 4 or 5 in a row but that's it. i got all my moults and most of my lanolin from just popping bottles. also, if you don't wanna fish just buy them off the AH. the price is going down everyday.