test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Suggestions for Winter Festival.

donnythdonnyth Member Posts: 122 Arc User
edited December 2016 in General Discussion (PC)
Someone moved my other post to the lower depths before I could offer a suggestion but: it's clear Cryptic is already trying to deter scamming by adding the glowing halo to identify players who actually have the gift, but that doesn't really do anything for scammers who just leave the group before using their gift which has already happened to me 4x in the past 2.5 hours. It's kind of sad that these scammers are turning a gift giving event into an event of frustration.

Here's my suggestion at least for next year:

When a player uses the gift in a party, make a pop-up window that confirms if you want to exchange gifts with the people in the party. If all players in the party confirm, then everyone automatically exchanges gifts. If any player denies, then the exchange is canceled.

It's very simple but effective and would eliminate scamming. If anyone has any better suggestions, feel free to post.

Edit: the pop-up window lists the members of the party. Anyone who does not have a gift in their inventory is not listed.
Secrets of the Ring ID: nw-dt25qalqy
Post edited by donnyth on

Comments

• Options
    sorce#8115 sorce Member Posts: 1,009 Arc User
    Well that isn't going to work for everyone - most of us share presents from alts, but only receive them on our Mains. Plus, when we do them near the end of the Winter Fest after one person has spammed open 30+ gifts, the lag is horrendous. Can you imagine if all 5 did that at the same time?

Share with friends/guildies/alliance members - don't do gifts with strangers (or like my mother says, don't take gifts from strangers... :P)
  • Options
    oclosoclos Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    That party issue were none accepts an invite(and many people that only do it to recieve gifts and not give any) is becoming a problem. This is a legitimate mission there, at least as much as the rest of the game missions and since it is there I would like to deal with it succesfully. So, not being a member of a guild(which is the case for many of my characters) and not finding someone to exchange those parcels with, it's rather frustrating. I'm hoping Cryptic can find a way to work around this isssue(at least for the mission, say, cause right now(and last year and the year before that as well, it was a big problem)it's as if its not an option, which is kinda sad, cause it was a good idea for socializing(even to that minor degree that it is affecting someone's social behaviour), in concept, but from theory to implementation, it got corrupted somehow(like the gold spammers and the bot accounts did for other aspects of the game).

My personal solution to it, would be if they would add, an NPC, say callled "Simril's Pilgrim" or similar that would join your party solely for that purpose(gift exchange) so that this mission wouldn't be a burden instead of a blessing, I'm assuming it was design with being in mind.
  • Options
    oclosoclos Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    Not sure what I would add as event to the ...erm, event. We could have a shooting with snowballs fest I guess(as in shooting at ice targets or something). And/or drinking the most beers in a given time(similar to the STO pies mission). I would like them to include this years Winter Wizzard and the astrologer's outfits as rewards as well.

Btw, the new sled is looking good Cryptic, well done!
  • Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited December 2016

Well that isn't going to work for everyone - most of us share presents from alts, but only receive them on our Mains. Plus, when we do them near the end of the Winter Fest after one person has spammed open 30+ gifts, the lag is horrendous. Can you imagine if all 5 did that at the same time?

Share with friends/guildies/alliance members - don't do gifts with strangers (or like my mother says, don't take gifts from strangers... :P)

The kind of bad behavior that the event encourages shouldn't be kept around just so that some people with 50+ toons can abuse the system. They could easily rework it to avoid the lag and it's ridiculous to imply that's even an issue.

The reason why they're leaving it alone is because they don't want to spend dev hours on an event that's already successful as is.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    The first group I organized for a gift exchange, two person showed up without a halo. When I started questioning one of them about it, the other two with gift left the party. If you not in a guild, forget about the gift exchange unless you don't mind getting scammed.
  • Options
    forumnamesuxsforumnamesuxs Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 490 Arc User
    So the stuff still drop one the ground then, and not directly to inventory?
    *sigh*
    Guess the guards will get their biannual visitors this winter too then.
    Just as good perhaps; I kind of feel a little bad for the guard up there in his little guard house, all alone for most of the year. This is a good chance to show him that we still love both him, and his little house.
    Wolves, big as a horse! I need new pants!

• Options
    regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Well, organized groups and taking turns in gifting is all you can actually do for now. And the sad part is, the same problem was allready around last year, but they still didn't take at least some Dev time to come up with a better solution for the whole gift thing.

Edit: The halo (and the icon of the gift buff) only shows up around the huge bonfire, if you want to see if everyone in your group has at least 1 gift, you have to do it there...
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • Options
    donnythdonnyth Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    urabask said:

The kind of bad behavior that the event encourages shouldn't be kept around just so that some people with 50+ toons can abuse the system. They could easily rework it to avoid the lag and it's ridiculous to imply that's even an issue.

The reason why they're leaving it alone is because they don't want to spend dev hours on an event that's already successful as is.
    a little pop up window doesn't seem like it's that complicated
    Secrets of the Ring ID: nw-dt25qalqy