test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Masterwork professions are a disaster. This HAMSTER needs fixed.

What is the point of even attempting this on Xbox? You'd need either a forgehammer(10mil) or legendary assets(millions on their own), just to have a chance at success. Let's say you can actually get a success and craft a set, don't bother selling it, the cartels will crash the AH market by underselling you, then you've just wasted millions. Is there a plan to address any of this, or should we all just abandon masterwork? Does any one even do these tasks?

Comments

• vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    On the PC, only a handful managed to get Masterwork items. By the time the next mod came out, with Relic weapons, this pretty much made Masterwork obselete.

The little gain you'd get from Masterwork is far outweighed by their costs, and it will be useless anyway in a few months.
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
  • sundance777sundance777 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    I am currently toying with the jewelcrafting task to make gold nuggets without a forgehammer or legenday assets and the 20% chance is a little low. What I dislike more than the RNG on this task is having to truck out to some silly little fluffy bunny level zone to pick up more resources, surely someone in the stronghold could be hired to fetch this for me ;);)
    TR - Sun: 16000 IL
    OP - Sunshine: 16000 IL

Casual Dailies
  • enicegeoenicegeo Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    If not hire then how about a companion that will do it for you. I remember in Monster Hunter 3U the Shakalaka that tagged along with you could also search gathering nodes and if they were set up with a skill they could also try getting boss loot items when fighting it. Then you once back in town you can check their bag and see what loot they scrounged up for you.

I'd settle for a companion that would just hoover all items that drop on the floor through a dungeon run so you don't have to.
  • posineg#7890 posineg Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    vordayn said:

On the PC, only a handful managed to get Masterwork items. By the time the next mod came out, with Relic weapons, this pretty much made Masterwork obselete.

The little gain you'd get from Masterwork is far outweighed by their costs, and it will be useless anyway in a few months.

What do you mean by all this? I am just a few training short for maxing some professions and would be very sad to learn I cant use them to my advantage.
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User

vordayn said:

What do you mean by all this? I am just a few training short for maxing some professions and would be very sad to learn I cant use them to my advantage.
    Don't confuse maxing a profession to level 25 with maxing Masterwork for that profession. 2 very different things. I definitely recommend maxing a profession that fits your class (or one that you are interested in). Maxing a Masterwork profession is a long, annoying process.

What Vordayn is saying is, Masterwork was profitable and useful at the time it came out, but had a HUGE upfront cost, making it the realm of the rich only essentially. If you want to get into Masterwork now, know that you will likely never make up the cost for it even if you sell everything, and the items you make are only slightly better than others.

For example, Alchemy, you can make a Masterwork potion that grants 500 more stat points than the one that drops everywhere (1000 versus 1500), and persist through death. This is not really worth the trek through Masterwork, and when you consider what it takes to make one potion...yea, no.

Rosegold rings were about the cream of the crop for masterwork, but those are primarily PVP based I think, and the profit margin was slim. I can't think really of anything else at this time thats even useful out of masterwork.

Ultimatley, a major issue with Masterwork is, the game just doesn't need it. If gaining a few extra stat points made the difference between completion and failure in a skirmish, it might work. In its current state, the masterwork stuff is just a money dump for the elite that has little to no impact on the game.
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    vordayn said:

vordayn said:

Don't confuse maxing a profession to level 25 with maxing Masterwork for that profession. 2 very different things. I definitely recommend maxing a profession that fits your class (or one that you are interested in). Maxing a Masterwork profession is a long, annoying process.

What Vordayn is saying is, Masterwork was profitable and useful at the time it came out, but had a HUGE upfront cost, making it the realm of the rich only essentially. If you want to get into Masterwork now, know that you will likely never make up the cost for it even if you sell everything, and the items you make are only slightly better than others.

For example, Alchemy, you can make a Masterwork potion that grants 500 more stat points than the one that drops everywhere (1000 versus 1500), and persist through death. This is not really worth the trek through Masterwork, and when you consider what it takes to make one potion...yea, no.

Rosegold rings were about the cream of the crop for masterwork, but those are primarily PVP based I think, and the profit margin was slim. I can't think really of anything else at this time thats even useful out of masterwork.

Ultimatley, a major issue with Masterwork is, the game just doesn't need it. If gaining a few extra stat points made the difference between completion and failure in a skirmish, it might work. In its current state, the masterwork stuff is just a money dump for the elite that has little to no impact on the game.
    Agreed.

Oh yeah, speaking of Relic gear...

I would suggest maxing out Weaponsmithing and/or Artificing if you want to make components for the new Relic weapons, as they are fairly expensive to buy (Last I checked, enchanted Loam, needed for a CW weapon, cost 800k). It will likely be marginally cheaper to make if you have all the ingredients (Lanolin, a SKT thing, and one more thing).

In addition, I believe there are some stuff from Masterwork needed for the Relic weapons, such as Sal Almoniac or something. (needs confirmation, I'm unsure if it actually comes from Masterwork)

• quixenctquixenct Member Posts: 3 Arc User

What is the point of even attempting this on Xbox? You'd need either a forgehammer(10mil) or legendary assets(millions on their own), just to have a chance at success.

I have a Forgehammer and have failed 10 out of 10 attempts for the Gilded Ledger. Let's just say foul language was used. Makes you want to quit at times, but I do want the Alchemist fashion set.

35% chance, 10 out of 10 times fail. Plug that in to your favorite binomial calculator. yeah, I'm in the lucky 1 percentile. HAMSTER that.
  • destrowoddestrowod Member Posts: 484 Arc User
    Personally i am not even bothering with master professions. And i won't bother with the new relic gear either. Too much of a hassle/farm for little rewards.
  • quixenctquixenct Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I wish they would show the true chance of completion for the tasks. I realize that you can get bad luck streaks, but not 0 successes out of 11 HAMSTER tries to make a Gilded Ledger.

The chances of having exactly zero successes out of 11 attempts with a supposed 35% success rate is 00.8%. LESS THAN ONE DAMNED PERCENT CHANCE.

Total BS.
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    They refuse to acknowledge any issues with their RNG, even though players have given reasonable proof that it goes in streaks.

That said, failing on the ledger 10 times.....ooph.
  • ltsmithnekoltsmithneko Member Posts: 1,578 Arc User
    Currently I know a few peeps with all professions done for MS, but as it stands now your better off going with the relicstuff, until changes are made to MS things.
  • draco16#8040 draco16 Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    There are several problems to master crafting. The first one is the expense of unlocking the levels. A player can expect to expend over 20 million AD to unlock the professions. Secondly, the items take too long to build since you only can craft one at a time. With a mythic hammer you have -a 75% success chance but even there there are many expensive failures. Thirdly the items have no special bonus that would make desirable for the player base. So why mastercraft at all?
    The Draconic Brotherhood GH 20
    Escape the Ordinary GH 20

Lord Havok GWF
    Lady Icethorn CW
    Brother Heals DC
    Lord Bubble OP
    Sister Tetera GF
  • thedramacusthedramacus Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    I like crafting. Its one more thing to do in the game. I like the way you have to progress in mastercrafting, though the items you craft seem kind of off base. But the RNG, cost of materials if you buy them rather than farm them and success rate are very frustrating. I think it was a good idea, but a total flop. Yet Im still working on it. Sadly by the time I get anywhere the new mod will make all my efforts worthless. I really hope they revisit it later for us crafters. I also hope they revisit underdark since they gave it its own submap, but thats for another thread.
    Dramacus 3.1 SW, Raven 2.9 HR, Aurora Shadowbain 2.7 GF, Mirduatas Vras 2.5 DC
    Si Vis Pacem 2.5 DC, Jade Shadowbain 2.4 CW, Para Bellum 1.5 GWF, President Not Sure lvl 69 OP
    Faith Shadowbain lvl 69 DC, Toof Fairy lvl 68 GWF, Arnie Shadowbain lvl 63 GF

Your Credit Card Has Been Declined
  • mahburgmahburg Member Posts: 598 Arc User
    The only way to make Masterworks relevant is to code them like Mul stuff so the gear automatically goes up with every rise in Gear level, that way it would be worth it as a long term investment if you knew when we got to level 170 gear in 2018 that the gear would go up each time!
  • mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    The way I look at Masterwork, is that it was brought in to give the players who've got everything else, something to do when all their gear is maxed and there's nothing left to work towards.
    I would quite like the Stronghold Weapons, but I've still got dozens of other routes for improving my character as I'm only 2.8K IL. I've got L25 in all my characters' relevant professions, but see Masterwork as something that I may one day get round to if I'm ever lucky enough to get everything else I need or want first.

In the same way that IRL society has to cater for an ever older population, NW has to increasingly cater for players at both ends of the spectrum. Stuff like Masterwork is there for those few (and that number will obviously grow over time) who have the rest of the material done and dusted, and need something to keep them occupied and not buggering off to play ESO or WoW.
  • darkblazexdarkblazex Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Has anyone experienced the problem with Gold Nuggets NOT being credited to any their character's inventories? I have produced, I believe, about seven over the span of a little over twice that number of attempts. The are noted as among the task's rewards and when I claimed them they showed up AS claimed in the lower right hand corner of my screen, just like any other rewards. But, they don't show up in any inventory (main, skill, currency or any other). Even the quest "Deliver Gold Nuggets to the Artisan" would continually show only 0/12 collected.

Does anyone have any suggestions?