test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

(PC) Binding Oath in PvP

mtcoffeemtcoffee Member Posts: 23 Arc User
Currently I am playing on PS4 and I reading about the changes to Binding Oath and I had a few questions. Hopefully some of the PvP Paladin can chime in.

1st,
Patch notes state:
Binding Oath now has the following effect: For 5 seconds, nearby enemies are forced to attack you and you gain 100% of your Maximum Hit Points as a Shield. When this effect expires or the shield is depleted foes in a 30' area take 100% of the damage that was taken by the shield and you take 50% of that damage. Additional ranks increase the duration of the shield by 1 second.

As I understand from reading, first the 50% damage taken when binding oath drops does NOT get checked against our damage resist. Therefore we take a pretty big pop when the shield goes down. My question is this, specifically for pvp, reflecting 100% of the damage (Avg HP for 140k-160k) does this work? Is the damage shared based on target hit? Does every target take 140k hit? Have the pallys that have pvped with BO seen a huge increase in our damage? In theory our blast could clear a plate.

2nd,
Obviously BO is now a shield. How does that work with Temp HP and Absolution. For example; If you BO, then get Temp HP, does the Temp HP get taken away first? Does the shield? If the shield overlays the temp hp, when BO goes off it would in theory take from the temp hp right? Could absolution, with its changes, help mitigate the damage from BO's 50% damage pop. IE: Are Absolution and BO separate shields?

3rd,
Has our role changed in pvp? As it stands now, I tank, throw heals, throw a hammer, and unbalance a team. Rarely am I get 15-20 kills but if I am not in my premade they stand a substantially larger change of losing vs another premade. I'm more of an X factor than a tip of spear type role.

Lay on me some truth. What are the details?

Comments

• emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    Played a few PVP matches last night with the new BO.

- the 50% damage back is not mitigated by our DR, no idea if intended or bug or somebody simply didnt consider it
    - the 100% damage to the enemy - Ive yet to see a number equal to my HP returned to any enemy be it pve or pvp upon shield depletion
    - BO blue shield stacks with Absolution blue shield on top of the Templar/ Cleansing Touch temp HP. So for example, 1st is the HP bar, 2nd is the temp HP bar from Templar/cleaning, 3rd is the blue bar from Absolution/BO.. Basically we got bars

Another thing to note, about half the times I activated BO in pvp Id get a blue shield as long as 1/3 of my HP bar. I dont know if this is only a visual bug and I actually had a BO shield equal to my full HP or is it an actual shield bug and I got BO shield equal to 1/3 of my HP.. or maybe its intended we get weaker BO in pvp in order to balance us cause you know, otherwise we might survive against everything and nobody wants that right.
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • mtcoffeemtcoffee Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    emilemo said:

- the 50% damage back is not mitigated by our DR, no idea if intended or bug or somebody simply didnt consider it
    - the 100% damage to the enemy - Ive yet to see a number equal to my HP returned to any enemy be it pve or pvp upon shield depletion
    - BO blue shield stacks with Absolution blue shield on top of the Templar/ Cleansing Touch temp HP. So for example, 1st is the HP bar, 2nd is the temp HP bar from Templar/cleaning, 3rd is the blue bar from Absolution/BO.. Basically we got bars

Another thing to note, about half the times I activated BO in pvp Id get a blue shield as long as 1/3 of my HP bar. I dont know if this is only a visual bug and I actually had a BO shield equal to my full HP or is it an actual shield bug and I got BO shield equal to 1/3 of my HP.. or maybe its intended we get weaker BO in pvp in order to balance us cause you know, otherwise we might survive against everything and nobody wants that right.

How did you fair in your matches? Are we still king on the domination plates or did you see yourself dieing a lot more?
    Im debating a reroll to GF. IMO Paladin players pick paladin in pvp to sacrifice damage and kill for mitigation, durability, and team work.

If I can't stay alive like I can now, heal and cap, its better to play a gf. I have one hard hitting skill and its a daily vs the offensive utility of the GF.
  • thrill#1417 thrill Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    How do you reroll to another class?

How do you reroll to another class?

Create a new character and start over.

Anyone else play a paladin strictly for the pvp scene? Trying to get a pulse on our community.
    mtcoffee said:

emilemo said:

How did you fair in your matches? Are we still king on the domination plates or did you see yourself dieing a lot more?
    Im debating a reroll to GF. IMO Paladin players pick paladin in pvp to sacrifice damage and kill for mitigation, durability, and team work.

If I can't stay alive like I can now, heal and cap, its better to play a gf. I have one hard hitting skill and its a daily vs the offensive utility of the GF.
    I did quite good in those matches and barely died once and as usual to a gang bang. That being said you gotta keep in mind my paladin is 3.8 in full prestige with trans weapon and armor enchantments. My biggest problem in pvp is not the nerfed BO, its the double mark bug that can kill us in 1 second flat. That keeps me from using our best dps tool when facing GFs/GFWs. Also if the two parties are somewhat equal and people know what they are doing a Paladin can still be quite immortal 1x1. However if your party is weaker there is high chance your pally will face 2 or 3 or more enemies at once all the time and die anyway..

Overall, disregarding the matchmaking problems, a protection pally can be good in PVP, not sure about healadin but i think they should be quite immortal too unless ganked.
  • sam115151sam115151 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I have been using the paladin class since it was added to this game. (Gear 4.2 lil). If I compare it to module 9, I can say that the module 10 has an incredible nerf applied to the paladins. It is a nerf literally. You definitely need to shorten your skill animations. T.R. If I do not remember the dreadful power of the class 'Q', the animation of the module 4 yada 5 te has been removed. And now they shoot quickly like snapshots can be applied in these paladins ...If there is someone who can build share for PvP please add link or picture ??
  • wolffgardwolffgard Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I'm curious about BO in pvp too. I'm on Xbox. How high is your arm pen? Will BO crit? If so would a Dread help?
    wolffgard said:

I'm curious about BO in pvp too. I'm on Xbox. How high is your arm pen? Will BO crit? If so would a Dread help?

Dont expect to nuke people with BO, thats not gonna happen
  • sundance777sundance777 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    emilemo said:

If I have 50% or higher DR, then hitting binding oath does not sound like a good idea...why would I stack 8 seconds worth of damage and want half of it, when it is likely I have 65% or more DR...
    TR - Sun: 16000 IL
    OP - Sunshine: 16000 IL

Casual Dailies