test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PS4 Pro and Neverwinter

2»

Comments

• blackplastickblackplastick Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Yea i have ps4pro and 4k still same slow mess.
  • underdog55#4853 underdog55 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    So we can only hope they implement Pro Support or a general performance Patch in the next major update...come on Cryptik you can do it!
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User

Well, the games looks higher res on PS4 Pro and 4K TV after the 10.5 patch. Chat box text is much sharper and easier to read, great improvement, imo. Thanks, devs!

Its better because you have a 4K TV and not because of the Pro. The game is still running in 1080P mode. All 4K sets upscale lower images to 4K. All content looks better on my 4K set for the most part, as long as the image is 720P or higher. Lower quality images are not as crisp as HD imagines on a 4K set.

I followed my own recommendation and purchased a 4K set based on size and viewing distance. I may have to trade it in and get the next size up.

I'm still not getting the Pro as the cost vs. benefit is not worth the upgrade for me ATM.

Well, the games looks higher res on PS4 Pro and 4K TV after the 10.5 patch. Chat box text is much sharper and easier to read, great improvement, imo. Thanks, devs!

Did they mention any Ps4 Pro improvements in the Patch Notes? I´m playing on a 1080p Screen and a friend on a 4k Screen and we both have a Pro. We couldn´t see any improvements so far.
    No changes on the Pro. Very few games use 4K mode. I don't know why you bought a pro as there is really no benefit on a standard HD set. UHD sets can use the Pro Mode for some games and content, but IMO still not worth the extra cost.

If I want a 4K drive I may buy myself a XBOX One S as that at least came with a proper drive.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    The benefit should be extra performance regardless of the resolution. They may have marketed it for 4K but people who follow the tech industry know they are reaching a bit far with that claim.

However, both the Xbox One and PS4 released with very low specs at launch. They were better than the previous generation of course but woefully underpowered compared to even the budget PC systems at the time.

Having a higher performance option will allow developers to give the option of better graphics or higher resolution.

As many reviewers have said, it's not worth spending to upgrade a system especially when few developers utilize the extra power but if people are in the market for a console it makes sense to buy the upper end option.

The benefit should be extra performance regardless of the resolution. They may have marketed it for 4K but people who follow the tech industry know they are reaching a bit far with that claim.

However, both the Xbox One and PS4 released with very low specs at launch. They were better than the previous generation of course but woefully underpowered compared to even the budget PC systems at the time.

Having a higher performance option will allow developers to give the option of better graphics or higher resolution.

As many reviewers have said, it's not worth spending to upgrade a system especially when few developers utilize the extra power but if people are in the market for a console it makes sense to buy the upper end option.

The pro has two mods, Pro and Normal. Pro mod only works with specific titles and improves the graphics only on 4K sets.

As for the systems and their performance vs. PCs. Consoles need less hardware o produce similar graphics as a PC as the consoles tend to have OS that require less resources, significantly less resources to be exact, and games are optimize to run on the lower specs of consoles.

Add to this, the CPU and memory that is not being used by a memory and CPU intensive OS can be used to help manage data flow better on a console vs. PC, this results in similar performance. Graphically the PS4 had a better GPU than the XBox1 and it was considered a mid-range GPU 3 year ago. The PS3 Pro again upgraded that and made the newer system have a graphic card that can handle 4K game easier and the Pro card when development started was at mid-range PC level.

Console hardware in the current generation is closer now to PC than ever before; literally the PS4 and XBox1 are small form factor PCs.

I personally don't think that the PS4 Pro is worth upgrading to given that it does not have a 4K disc drive. However, the XBox One S is worth it if you own a 4K set and plan to buy 4K disc.

Did they mention any Ps4 Pro improvements in the Patch Notes? I´m playing on a 1080p Screen and a friend on a 4k Screen and we both have a Pro. We couldn´t see any improvements so far.
    No changes on the Pro. Very few games use 4K mode. I don't know why you bought a pro as there is really no benefit on a standard HD set. UHD sets can use the Pro Mode for some games and content, but IMO still not worth the extra cost.

If I want a 4K drive I may buy myself a XBOX One S as that at least came with a proper drive.
    There are many games with a pro patch now. I play on a HDTV and got great improvements so far. I played Rise of the Tomb Raider in the High Framerate Mode. Elder Scrolls Online has a Native 4k or 1080p with enhanced Visuals Option. Warframe runs a lot smoother on my pro. There are many more improvements in other games like supersampling from higher resolutions to my HDTV which gives me a really awesome picture with nearly no aliasing. There are a lot of benefits for owners of a 1080p set : )

So back to Neverwinter, the improved cpu clock and much bigger gpu and improved memory bandwith should at least give us 10 - 15 more fps in many areas which would bring the game more close to a stable 30fps. Lets go CRYPTIC !

There are many games with a pro patch now. I play on a HDTV and got great improvements so far. I played Rise of the Tomb Raider in the High Framerate Mode. Elder Scrolls Online has a Native 4k or 1080p with enhanced Visuals Option. Warframe runs a lot smoother on my pro. There are many more improvements in other games like supersampling from higher resolutions to my HDTV which gives me a really awesome picture with nearly no aliasing. There are a lot of benefits for owners of a 1080p set : )

So back to Neverwinter, the improved cpu clock and much bigger gpu and improved memory bandwith should at least give us 10 - 15 more fps in many areas which would bring the game more close to a stable 30fps. Lets go CRYPTIC !
    The problem with NW is this....Word Wide servers on east coast near Boston.

Best way to get improved anything with NW is improved hardware on there end.

Our system can handle the game just fine.

I know going from a 5400RMP 500GB drive to a hybred 32GB with 7200RPM HDD my game runs much smoother.

As for your experience with the pro, well I returned mine after seeing how bad the pro runs in most games that don't support Pro mode. Also, pro mode is a developers decision, meaning most will probably skip out on it due to extra cost to modify a game being developed.

I will wait to upgrade my system with the next console Sony release or maybe the Xbox Scropio.

• trinity706#8838 trinity706 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    The PS4 Pro is a joke as far as hardware is concerned (in my opinion). The PS4 itself could have been manufactures with MUCH better hardware than what was put into them. As long as the consumers continue to just take whatever companies throw out and not hold their money and demand higher quality products (seeing as the price keeps going up though the quality doesn't really) things like this will continue to happen. The PS4 Pro on the bottom end is what the PS4 should have been (or close to it) at launch (in my opinion).

The FPS rock bottoming during Heroics, etc. seems like is due to the PS4 CPU/GPU choking quite hard. Processors released in 2011 (2 years before the PS4 release) run faster than the CPU in the PS4 (mine runs at 3.1 GHz). Basically Sony got 2 generations of console sales within about 3 years with "minimal" improvements between the PS4 and PS4 Pro and if there is no "Pro patch" game swill run the same, I'm guessing some developers will put the patch on the back burner for quite some time...
    ALL Rights Reserved for any and all suggestions, ideas, etc. from this user.

“There are changes that can be made that don’t require coding...” - TriNitY
    "No amount of coding will change human behavior" - TriNitY

Ongoing Issue: Legitmate Players Banned for Botting (Console) and the Future for "Dedicated" Players

Suggestions: (Implemented) \/\/ Rearrange Character on character Select Screen
  • chimeraxchimerax Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    Devolopers do only what the HAVE to do, anything more costs money.

The PS4 Pro is a joke as far as hardware is concerned (in my opinion). The PS4 itself could have been manufactures with MUCH better hardware than what was put into them. As long as the consumers continue to just take whatever companies throw out and not hold their money and demand higher quality products (seeing as the price keeps going up though the quality doesn't really) things like this will continue to happen. The PS4 Pro on the bottom end is what the PS4 should have been (or close to it) at launch (in my opinion).

The FPS rock bottoming during Heroics, etc. seems like is due to the PS4 CPU/GPU choking quite hard. Processors released in 2011 (2 years before the PS4 release) run faster than the CPU in the PS4 (mine runs at 3.1 GHz). Basically Sony got 2 generations of console sales within about 3 years with "minimal" improvements between the PS4 and PS4 Pro and if there is no "Pro patch" game swill run the same, I'm guessing some developers will put the patch on the back burner for quite some time...

Sony and Microsoft were going for APU designs. They could only take what AMD hat ready for them at that time. I can only speak for Elder Scrolls online (Native 4k or 1080p enhanced visuals with stable framerates on Pro) and Final Fantasy 14 which runs most of the time at 60 fps. Neverwinter looks way worse than these games and runs like trash in most places. It´s up to cryptic to optimize the game and not blame the hardware all the time when other developers show much better results.

Anyway this is a Ps4 subforum, we should unite to get ab better version of the game instead of blaming hardware or anything else.

Cryptic improve your Servers and the overall game performance for all plattforms. Thanks !

Here is a link with all games that got Pro improvements this far and there are more everytime a new game comes out. Elder Scrolls Online released a few years ago and they patched it for the Pro because they care about there fans i think.

neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1324251
    edited February 2017

I remember hearing back when AMD and Intel both were near 4 GHz and modified their chipsets to include other instructions that resulted in lower Ghz but the chips were able to process information far faster than their older chips that were near 4Ghz. The speed of a processor is only part of how data is moved, you have other features on the chip that enables it to run faster. Also, higher clocks mean more power and higher heat.

Look at the size of a desktop, many are 2-3X the size of a console because they need the vents and extra fans to allow the CPU and GPUs to have higher clock speeds.

PS4 and XBox both went with a APU chip from AMD that is used in form factor computers. Both consoles were released late in 2013. AMD released that design for laptops and form factor computers about 6 months later. This means the consoles were ahead of the curve. Both consoles also have a graphic card, with Sony taking the better component.

As for the PS4 Pro simply takes all the good from the PS4 and made it better meaning overclocked CPU and more processing power from the GPU. It has roughly 20% more power over the standard PS4. Most of that power is needed to take games to 4K resolution and for some improvements in other areas. Not a WOW factor like going from P2 to PS3. In fact, the only WOW factor I got going from a PS3 to a PS4 is that my games had less stutter due to more memory.

My PS3 performed very well for me over the long haul due to buying a SSD as soon as I could. What put the axe into my PS3, was it got the YLoD after over 7 years of owning it, mine was a launch day model. The good news was, it literally died 2 months after the PS4 came out and I already moved onto the PS4. My first upgrade was a HDD from standard to Hybred that had 8GB and 1TB. Now I'm using a more robust hybred that is 32 GB SSD and 1TB HD.

As for Neverwinter lag issues or stuttering, etc...all of this is base on the servers, game population, and location of the player to the server.

If you want better ping rates, move closer to the east coast. If you want improve that further, move within miles of the facility housing the servers. From there system updates like HDD or using a Pro might make a small difference.

As for Pro vs normal mode, after seeing what I did with the Pro and how it behaves in normal mode and seeing the lack of titles with 4K I simply returned my. Not worth another $400 IMO. I paid that much more than 3 years ago on my PS4 and yes I got my money's worth IMO. As for another $400 for a Pro and very limited selection of titles and releasing a 1/2 cycle update, not worth my money.

XBox Scropio though is not a half cycle update and will be the next XBox. I will consider that as an option.

@mebengalsfan#9264

I'm on the east coast... LoL

The clock speed was just an example of "better" hardware being available. The technology was there prior to the release of the consoles (they could have "waited"?). How much more would it cost to manufacturer a console with a SSD and or "advanced" cooling to allow for the stronger hardware (rhetorical)? Oh, but then consoles wouldn't be able to be "incremented" out to the public as they are/have been...

Microsoft is taking the "right" approach by releasing a more complete console instead of what Sony did.

Ongoing Issue: Legitmate Players Banned for Botting (Console) and the Future for "Dedicated" Players

• urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited February 2017

As for Neverwinter lag issues or stuttering, etc...all of this is base on the servers, game population, and location of the player to the server.

This isn't true at all. MMOs are CPU bound games and you'll get frame rate drops that have nothing to do with the game servers even on a high end PC.

Look at the size of a desktop, many are 2-3X the size of a console because they need the vents and extra fans to allow the CPU and GPUs to have higher clock speeds.

Better airflow is part of it but PCs also have much larger heatsinks on the GPU and CPU.

I8r4ux9.jpg

@mebengalsfan#9264

I'm on the east coast... LoL

The clock speed was just an example of "better" hardware being available. The technology was there prior to the release of the consoles (they could have "waited"?). How much more would it cost to manufacturer a console with a SSD and or "advanced" cooling to allow for the stronger hardware (rhetorical)? Oh, but then consoles wouldn't be able to be "incremented" out to the public as they are/have been...

Microsoft is taking the "right" approach by releasing a more complete console instead of what Sony did.

Sony did do something like you are talking about around 10+ years ago, called the PS3. It launched with many unheard of add on and had a $600 price tag. In fact, Sony took a lose for each unit sold on the PS3 and it took them about 5 years to see any return on their invest.

PS4, Sony was making money day 1. Why, because they did not invest into providing gamer more than what the gamers wanted, an improve system that ran smoother, less load time, etc...

Going from a PS3 to a PS4 you really did not notice much in graphical improvement. What did improve was load time, rendering, some lighting, anti-aliasing, etc...all better than PS3.

PS4 Pro is another step in that direction with a bit improvement to graphic again.

PS5, who knows if we will even see one. Sony could release a PS4 - Pro+ which could include further improvements on the pro and continue to play all PS4 games

I'm just waiting to see what will happen in the world of console gaming as each iteration improves upon the last gen or model.

Look what the slim did for the PS3 and PS4 now. Look what we have with the PS4 Pro.

I just wish all games currently on the PS4 that are coming out or are MMO took advantage of the pro, I may have kept mine.
    @mebengalsfan#9264

I agree with a number of your points

The PS4 still has load times (without the user upgrading to a SSD) and the overall graphics are pretty much still "scaled", still come with a HDD instead of a SSD. The list of native 1080p is laughable, players wanted the PS4 to run games at 1080p natively, not upscaled like on the PS3. Players wanted to be able to play their PS3 games on the PS4 and Sony placed a "work around" behind "Playstation Now", a pay service that requires an internet connection unlike the Xbox One where players can play Xbox 360 games (via an internal emulator) offline after an initial install/internet "check".

Do I blame Sony for their courses of action, in part, thogh I blame the consumers as well for feeding into these sub par consoles at decreasing intervals.

Hopefully the PS4 Pro sales will help fund a "PS5" that is up there with the Xbox One as far an an internal emulator for PS3 games, UHD disc drive, etc.