test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Common "break-even" point on enchantments? Any point refining past L7?

Pardon the possibly dumb question.

Is it safe to assume that - even if one doesn't use alts and only runs a few dungeons and skirmishes plus recurring quests a day - there's little point in refining an enchantment past about L7? Is it always more cost-effective and time-saving to just do other activities to get the AD to go buy e.g. a L8 or L9 enchantment?

It seems that way, from an overall time-consuming grind point of view. Not to mention the cost of preservation wards or multiple medium-to-high-level refining stones / duplicate enchantments.

But just wanted to see if there's something I'm missing in there before changing my approach with my enchantments. I've got 7s and a couple 8s sprinkled around my gear, and have a couple artifact equipment I'm working on... but after I exhaust my enchantment supply in the 2x event I'm probably going to change my focus completely to AD farming, as far as improving my equipment goes. I.e. enchantments from here on out get flipped on the AH and not refined any further.

Comments

• Options
    sundance777sundance777 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    I personally find buying the next level like r8 or r9 and selling the previous like r7 or r8 is easier, faster and for the value on my time, cheaper in most cases that refining up my own enchants.
    TR - Sun: 16000 IL
    OP - Sunshine: 16000 IL

Casual Dailies
  • Options
    mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    I suppose a lot depends on how much RP you farm day to day.
    The biggest issue I have with enchanting is the overall cost of things like Fey Blessed.
    So, say I have 4 rank 8 FB and refine one up to R9. I use one of the other R8's to refine it along with any refinement stones and wards and I STILL only have 4% worth of enchantments. Ok, it frees up a slot but next time round when shifting R9 to R10, I have to burn two R9's (4% total) to get one stone that gives 3%.
    From that point on, the returns don't simply return null, its a negative return on hundreds of thousands of RP.
  • Options
    spoomeister#9137 spoomeister Member Posts: 105 Arc User

I suppose a lot depends on how much RP you farm day to day.
    From that point on, the returns don't simply return null, its a negative return on hundreds of thousands of RP.

Yeah. I did much the same reasoning on things like farming motes for the various elemental quests that um... what's her name... the druid in the tree of life in the middle of PE that sends you on quests with Minsc. After I read about how slim the odds were of getting everything, much less then turning it into something usable... even for a grind-happy game like this it was just too much.

• Options
    kclowekclowe Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    At the stage in the game your at and the high exchange rate on zen, your idea of buying the next level and selling the previous is probably your best bet. Higher level enchantments are at a good price right now. I'd so go for it. Preservation wards are a huge expense in upgrading thats not always factored in. Its hard to say how many it will take. I've used 2 to 120 of them for R/11 to a R/12. You never know if a rank 9 will take a few or 30. You can spend the cost of the next lvl of enchantment in pres wards alone. my advice is to just let the other guy take that risk untill you get to be a baller.
  • Options
    mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    At the moment I'm kitting out 4 Fey Blessed, got 2 to 9 and just got a fifth 8 to upgrade another.
    The cost of refining all 4 to 12 is phenomenal. In all I would need 64 rank 8's, millions of RP, dozens of GMPot, and only the Gods of fate know how many pres wards...
    So when these last two are done I'll be sticking with 8% for the forseable future. To be fair, the drop rate already seems better than the current 6% I'm running on. Since getting to 5% my artifact refinement has gone ballistic.
  • Options
    reefriednunt#3177 reefriednunt Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I dont know where you came up with 64 to get an enchant to level 12??....starting with rank 7, it would take 8 rank 7 enchantments (plus the rp) to make a 10, then once you make the ten you don't need the equal rank to make the next rank (11), and same for going from 11-12.....I know you want to make 4 total rank 12's, but that would only be 32 total rank 7's
  • Options
    zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User

I dont know where you came up with 64 to get an enchant to level 12??....starting with rank 7, it would take 8 rank 7 enchantments (plus the rp) to make a 10, then once you make the ten you don't need the equal rank to make the next rank (11), and same for going from 11-12.....I know you want to make 4 total rank 12's, but that would only be 32 total rank 7's

Actually, it's even less. He was talking about Fey's. They start at rank 8. You only need 16 Fey's to make 4 Rank 12's.
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    I think he's assuming that rank 11 & 12 require another enchantment the same way the lower ones do.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    sundance777sundance777 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    Does anyone else find it odd that we are refining enchantments to get refinement? Circle of life moment :)
    TR - Sun: 16000 IL
    OP - Sunshine: 16000 IL

Casual Dailies
  • Options
    zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User

Does anyone else find it odd that we are refining enchantments to get refinement? Circle of life moment :)

It's partially based on the original upgrade system. Before marks, it took 4 of of same rank, same type to upgrade to next level, that's it no marks just wards to protect. They kept the requirement for one. Then when the upgrade path was increased from max of 10 to 12, they removed the requirement to have one matching.