test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Hunter Ranger not being quite right

gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
@mimicking#6533 :

You mentioned that you're not sure Cryptic got the HR right with the last balance pass. It would be very useful for the community here to understand what you mean and why and provide feedback. Would be great if you could take a few minutes to answer. :smiley:
Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80

Comments

• Options
    wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
    +1 good luck with that, I doubt you will get much information. We had Amenar once post to discuss things with us but that was short lived and he mystically vanished from the Company.

I doubt we will have much back from any Developer ever again :(
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    ajlir#7970 ajlir Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    We gone back to Cold War, ranger. Stay frosty.
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    Tbh. Now the novelty period is over, other classes have gotten used to/adopted new strategies with regard to combat HR tactics and the balance is back to some extent, with reasonably level gear.

I doubt the general qq will stop, but it definitely has a shaker base for its cries of 'nerf' now than it had initially.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I also want to know what exactly @mimicking#6533 meant by that statement. I really hope they don't plan on making sweeping changes to the class again. I knew they weren't done with HR balancing because, as Amenar pointed out, there was only so much they could do before Mod 10 launched. I expect Piercing Blade to get another look due to pvp, but other than a couple of feats in the Combat tree (Serpent Weave and capstone) I don't see much wrong with the current changes after a few months of playing Mod 10. If they're looking to make all 3 trees viable for pvp then great because all Mod 10 did was change to meta from Trapper to Combat.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    we will eventually be all back to trapper...
    im having fun with my current stormwarden combat tho
  • Options
    durugudesudurugudesu Member Posts: 555 Arc User
    rayrdan said:

we will eventually be all back to trapper...
    im having fun with my current stormwarden combat tho

hahaha
  • Options
    As long as I can actually kill people in PvP, somehow, I'll be okay with it. But if they just nerf piercing blade into the ground well, meh, I suppose I'll just keep up with new modules and take breaks from the game in the interim. I was bored being trapper paingiver chaser boy last mod, couldn't face it again.
  • Options
    deterrant#6687 deterrant Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    I cant understand the crying about Combats Piercing in PVP.

Some classes can mitigate or even negate the piercing damage.
    Some of us mostly use PG to root the targets, which you can dodge, unless proned by boar charge and even then a skillful PVPr will survive the burst if he/she has built a solid toon.

There are classes i merely tickle with my combat build and some i can even kill if they are not careful.

In a full dps team combat is not so efficient, but paired with a good CC toon we can make kills pretty efficiently. Like every other dps toon in PVP to my knowledge :smile: .

Trapper is still the more solid goto tree in PVP, imo. But i like the combat after being trapper for so long.

Well, we'll see what changes they make in the future.
  • Options
    wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User

I cant understand the crying about Combats Piercing in PVP.

Some classes can mitigate or even negate the piercing damage.
    Some of us mostly use PG to root the targets, which you can dodge, unless proned by boar charge and even then a skillful PVPr will survive the burst if he/she has built a solid toon.

There are classes i merely tickle with my combat build and some i can even kill if they are not careful.

In a full dps team combat is not so efficient, but paired with a good CC toon we can make kills pretty efficiently. Like every other dps toon in PVP to my knowledge :smile: .

Trapper is still the more solid goto tree in PVP, imo. But i like the combat after being trapper for so long.

Well, we'll see what changes they make in the future.

The people who are crying about the HR are the very same people who probably are used to using the HR to get their kills up in PvP. Now the HR actually has some teeth people who main other classes all come out of the woodwork to complain :(
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    jackanuckox3jackanuckox3 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Hahah, exactly this! They are just not used to get killed by Hr's because of 5 Modules where only Trappers were roaming around in PvP ...
  • Options
    frenzal#4831 frenzal Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    Hey.. sorry.. I play on PS4, and I was told at one point that trapper was the only thing that worked. Does anyone have a link to this combat build? The trapper thing is kinda stale to me already.
  • Options
    davidagaldodavidagaldo Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    Until PS has progressed to the current PC Mod, Trapper is your best option for both PvP and PvE. I have not looked hard but have not see a posted PvP Combat build, YouTube has builds listed. Use them as a starting point.
    Guild: Spectrum
    .. Teucer (HR) / Maximus Decimus (DC) .. GT: ApexDemon
  • Options
    Oh I didn't realize we weren't at the same point. My trapper build is fine, just.. bleh sometimes in PVP.
  • Options
    david#8871 david Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    There are still a lot of choices to consider in your current Mod. Mounts bonuses, campaign boons, equipment, feats, ancillaries. You can find middle ground between PvE and PvP, but you will benefit better being fully one or the other, hence the reason I have both.
    Guild: The Nation - XBox
    Teucer (HR)
  • Options
    I wasn't really worried about PVE, the character was made for PVP. Just having a hard time since hitting 70. I either melt people, or can't even scratch them. Constantly get one shot. Have decent boons. Grim pvp set. I don't know. Not sure what I'm doing wrong honestly.
  • Options
    deterrant#6687 deterrant Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    Been running some more PVP for a few days just to get a better feel on my combat spec and noticed that the major category of HRs are still Trappers it seems, some occasional combats in pug PVP, but almost all premades have trappers with em, combats here and there.

More trappers in the 3k-4k IL mark, and seen some veteran trappers trying out combat after mod 10 came out, but already some have switched back to trapper.

No major uprise of HR combats or oodles of PVPrs changing their class to HR for combat tree for ez kills like some people claim.

You read it right, there is suppose to be a high rise in people changing their CLASS to HRs for the combat tree, this really made me LOL.

I can imagine some already running a HR would try or even stay combat, make an alt even, but that the PVP community has started to PREFER combat HRs OVER other classes or trapper tree in PVP is utter bs.

It has a new attraction to it, so many of us were Trappers for so long, no wonder the numbers seem to have increased, but it mainly concerns PVE, imo. We got back a wider spectrum of tools as a class and people noticed that.

Some rise to roll a HR alt or main for PVE is there after the balances and fixes to broken sht, but thats normal and good, creates a more wider spectrum to class/tree usage.

YT videos on PVE builds regarding combat and trapper mightve kickstarted more love towards HRs too.

And the playerbase of HRs is getting more information? and people are generally more keen on the class? as THE WILDS has a decent and knowledgeable HR base.

Combat is a newly found force to be reckoned with, but were not gods or OP hunter killers :smile: .

For a better view on things maybe some dev could throw some info how many people actually roll/respec a combat nowadays or how many new active HR combats are in PVP/PVE when compared to the trappers.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I know a few serious 4k plus PvP HRs, and all save one are combat builds, either focussed like me around crit, or feytouched high survival types. But as you say, there isn't a huge increase in HRs. It might be that people's HR alts have been neglected so long that they've fallen behind too far in gear and boons.

If you say have a HR alt you've not played much since mod6 or 7, when the rot really started to set in, then that HR probably doesn't have twisted weapons, and the maze, demo, storm king, and revamped levelling boons, which adds up to probably more time than people are willing to spend for the fotm class. Add onto that the time to grind prestige, when they might still have elemental, swap out and re-jewel the lolset for another, armor kit prestige, and swap out artifacts, acquire and insignia mounts.... a huge outlay of AD.

These days there's a lot more to it than just swapping enchants over.