test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sharpedge's work appreciation thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    @thefabricant your guide is amazing. I hope you'll consider bringing it back one of these days.

I missed the wave of drama that lead up to this being removed. Is it over the legacy set bonus being removed? To the extent that it was, those set bonuses were on the way out since Module 6 and has nothing to do with Sharpedge's guide. Asterdahl was laudably open on that issue
    asterdahl said:

I want to dispel a popular opinion that's been floating around this thread and discussions on other venues like reddit, etc. The idea that this change was made solely in reaction to player outcry is false. Obviously there is no way to prove this statement as we are in the realm of thoughts and opinions but I can do my best to refute it.

These sets are something we would have liked to remove much earlier; however, there was an underlying fear among some on the team regarding nerfs in general. It's no secret that Module 6 was quite a mess and we have worked hard to try to dig ourselves out from a number of holes. Even if a nerf is made with the overall health of the game in mind, especially when loot is involved, the community reaction can be understandably vitriolic. An attempt to avoid this vitriol in the post Module 6 landscape lead to a lot of issues remaining alive for far longer than they ought to have.

When we finally pushed forward on a lot of long outstanding class balance issues—the changes Amenar made before he departed the studio—thanks to the overall positive reaction to those changes we were able to really present to the rest of the team how balance changes and nerfs are necessary growing pains and that not all of you will see these as negative changes.

Couple that newfound sense of confidence in making these sorts of nerfs and changes with the fact that in Module 10 with Fangbreaker we introduced a new tier of difficulty—one where bosses are designed to be longer fights that aim to test adventurers mechanically as well as statistically—and that is essentially the genesis of how this change came to be.

If the drama was about power interactions, the guide can also not be blamed for that. The developers certainly use community feedback but they have a systematic process now (better late than never...) for reviewing balance as a whole

We had, in the past, been collecting feedback about class balance and made fixes as that feedback came in. We determined that the piecemeal approach to class fixes wasn’t working because it prevented us from overall reviews of classes. We get a ton of great reports and feedback from the community about classes ranging from bugs about powers and class representation to questions and suggestions about how powers work. We were able to use community feedback in tandem with internal reviews and data to build a review process that we can put all of our classes through. It took a while to create the review process, but classes will be better for it and will allow us to make better adjustments going forward. We planned for the design of the Class Review in one development cycle, the review work as part of another, and the fixes in a third. The complexity of classes, including their efficacy and balance for example, is such that rushing the work in one development cycle wouldn’t work. It certainly hadn’t in the past. So we needed to spend the time to really build a process and plan that we have faith in. Now that we have the right support in place for an improved class review, it is on the top of our list.
    Source.

My personal advice - there will always be angry people on the internet. You have done some amazing work analyzing the CW class and it is widely appreciated. If you want to share your work, don't let them stop you.

Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • Options
    sithgear#3066 sithgear Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    Damn, have to take a break from the game due to work...come back and people act HAMSTER and Sharp makes his work private. Some great theorycrafting going on there, reminded me of back in Vanilla WoW days...Anyway, @thefabricant, I hope you continue playing and one day open your works up to the public again. Forget those bums that got butthurt (for whatever reason) at your work, there's plenty of people who appreciate all you've done.
  • Options
    aakrasiaaaakrasiaa Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    I'd like to give a huge thanks to @thefabricant for the massive contribution. I was trying to do so in-game, but couldn't, so it's nice to see that there's a thread here for this purpose. I used a couple of the sources quoted in the "almost everything" guide, but it was very helpful to find all that info in one place. I regret not saving the guide while I had the chance...I'd still be referring to it today.

While I'm at it, big thanks to @ironzerg79, too. You guys made this game much more interesting and it is very much appreciated.
  • Options
    thrufuthrufu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 54 Arc User
    Huge thanks to @thefabricant. It's incredible the amount of time that he dedicated to his guide and helping others in any question they may ask. Allways eager to help even on Legit_Channel. Allways polite and informative. Didn't patronize anyone.
    Thanks again
  • Options
    khashirkhashir Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    Massive kudos to @thefabricant for his hard work, attention to detail, and thoroughness. Thanks man, sorry for the haters—keep at it =)!
  • Options
    bornking4bornking4 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Man! I was wondering what happened to my Sharpedge CW & Paladin guides. I've been stressed the hell out. I really want to take this moment of silence for my lose.............................................! @thefabricant you've been a blessing for yu our insightful, "THOROUGH" informative works I already miss them as though I lost my right and left arm. Thanks and hope this can be reconciled soon. Hell it's like my besr friend has moved to aother country.
  • Options
    putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    I <3 sharp and consider him a neverwinter friend. He is a class act. He filled a void left behind by the original theorycrafters when they left. He shared his passion for learning the game mechanics with everyone. Unlike many who do figure out a trick, he wasn't hiding his build, his logic, etc to capitalize on it. He shared everything with the community in the hopes of to improve the QOL around him. We still have people doing insane dps with no common knowledge of what tricks they are using and he was abused for being a good social citizen instead of an exploiter. He also wasn't in a P2W guild or an elite guild, his focus was on helping his friends. Thanks for being a solid human being Sharp
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 196 Arc User
    I dunno much about the drama, and I'm still rel casual and new to this community, but I respect Sharp and his past efforts and devotion to the game, as w/ any TC'er in any MMO I've played over the years. It may be hard to accept for some, but for the overall good of a game, balance sometimes involves nerfing things or squashing exploitable bugs. Its sad to see how reactive, myopic, or petty people can get, but I doubt people like Sharp have a malicious agenda. NW's devs have internal testers anyways, and at the end of the day its the devs' own responsibility to change the game.
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    Sharpedge is the one person I can rely on to provide accurate and unbiased information all of the time. I can't recall the amount of times I've tagged him about something I needed to know.

I regard him as one of the best assets / individuals in the game and I have no time for anyone who has a problem with his openness about the game's needs and direction.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    arashjamarashjam Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    I play on Xbox and it is almost impossible to get accurate data from the game, so Sharp's guide has helped us a lot more than PC players. I kept my CW as my main after all the nerfs just because of his guide. I want to thank him for all he has done. I was lucky to download the guide before it was made private, but I know in a mod or two it will be outdated :(
    All is lost.
  • Options
    metalicum1metalicum1 Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    arashjam said:

I play on Xbox and it is almost impossible to get accurate data from the game, so Sharp's guide has helped us a lot more than PC players. I kept my CW as my main after all the nerfs just because of his guide. I want to thank him for all he has done. I was lucky to download the guide before it was made private, but I know in a mod or two it will be outdated :(

I couldn't agree more. Huge thanks to him. I'm on PS4 and except a few guides and YT videos (like Nova's) the Sharp's guide is THE source of information. You can see a lot of control wizards struggling on PS4, not being able to test anything reliably. Thank god for the guide.
    Aris Meyde CW MoF Renegade

[PS4] Alliance - House Stargaryen
  • Options
    sweatapodimassweatapodimas Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Thank you Sharpedge for all of your insight and work!!! You are much appreciated.
    "Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny" - Frank Zappa
  • Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    You the man Sharp, you'll be missed a great deal...

va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    etelgrin said:

Wish abbadon, chemboy and kaelac were still on the boat.

Agreed. They were helpful as well.

I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    Goodbye mate! I hope we'll see you again somewhere sometime. Unique player the game loses, shouldn't go unnoticed.​​
  • Options
    sirjimbofrancissirjimbofrancis Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    Sharp, I know that for everyone who actually posts on here, there are dozens who don't post, but appreciate, nonetheless, the work you've invested for the knowledge you have about this game, and the time you've taken to share that knowledge with the rest of us. I, for one, have copied and pasted passed on your information (with credit given), to a lot of people with the confidence that, not only is the information accurate, but very helpful as well. I'm sorry there are people out there who couldn't look past themselves to see that. You're a great player and, I'm sure you will have as much fun in whatever game you choose to play. But, we'll miss you, here! Take care.
    Lilia Drakon - PVE Executioner TR
    She Looked Lvl 18

Here is my Blog
  • Options
    nipsmeowingtonnipsmeowington Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    Sharpedge, you will be missed for your expertise but also your good natured demeanor. Best of luck!
  • Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    <3<3<3 Sharp your presence will be missed in this community, whatever's left of it.

Happy travels, may the land you somewhere where your efforts are appreciated not only by the player community but also by the game developers.
  • Options
    constantmule#4943 constantmule Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    wellllll...liked the guide was much apreciated...but this is all pretty damn stupid, flamed the guy till he took his ball n went home lol good grief the net will never change

• Options
    suppyszsuppysz Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Sorry for asking, I came back to play Neverwinter today...
    Why did he remove his CW's guide? And why so many haters?

Anyway, THANK YOU @thefabricant, you helped me so much in the past!
  • Options
    david#2060 david Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    It was reading your guide when I got deep into this game, and not only in CW affairs. Thank you very much for all the shared knowledgement; I wish you can go in peace since now on, you deserve it no matter your plans for the future.
This discussion has been closed.